ESLA vs SLSA and flying into Control Space??

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

basej

ESLA vs SLSA and flying into Control Space??

Post by basej »

Can I ask for some feedback/clarification re what types of LSA aircraft can be flown into/through controlled airspace (assuming pilot has required qualification/endorsements). In particular I'm referring to Class C and Class D airspace... (so ability to fly into for example a Class D airspace and land/takeoff from that aerodrome with control tower)

a) I understand that factory built LSA aircraft (called SLSA correct?) could be flown into controlled airspace (assuming has required transponder) correct?

b) If one was to purchase a kit version ELSA of an LSA aircraft, would it still be able to enter controlled airspace? Or does the answer depend upon certain processes the builder would have to follow through with during the build? i.e. is answer yes, no, potentially if you follow the right process

[example may be say a factory built Kitfox vs do it yourself (i.e. purchase kit).]
Last edited by basej on Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimTaylor

Re: ESLA vs SLSA and flying into Control Space??

Post by TimTaylor »

Controlled airspace is everything that is not uncontrolled airspace. That is, everything that is not class G. I think you are asking about flying in class A, B, C, and D airspace.

An SLSA can certainly fly in that airspace if properly equipped and so can an ELSA as far as I know. Someone who knows better than me on this will reply soon, I'm sure.
Retired from flying.
basej

Post by basej »

thanks for picking this up - I'll add the clarification in particular "C, and D airspace" in my original post
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

When I was training at a D class airport there were plenty of “experimentals” of all sorts - RV etc. ..they would just talk to the tower like everyone else so I always assumed there is no difference ...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

basej wrote:Can I ask for some feedback/clarification re what types of LSA aircraft can be flown into/through controlled airspace (assuming pilot has required qualification/endorsements). In particular I'm referring to Class C and Class D airspace... (so ability to fly into for example a Class D airspace and land/takeoff from that aerodrome with control tower)

a) I understand that factory built LSA aircraft (called SLSA correct?) could be flown into controlled airspace (assuming has required transponder) correct?

b) If one was to purchase a kit version ELSA of an LSA aircraft, would it still be able to enter controlled airspace? Or does the answer depend upon certain processes the builder would have to follow through with during the build? i.e. is answer yes, no, potentially if you follow the right process

[example may be say a factory built Kitfox vs do it yourself (i.e. purchase kit).]
Yes an ELSA can be flown in class C and D airspace.

A SLSA is a factory built aircraft, but not all factory built LSA are SLSA. They can also be standard category, such as the ACA Champ or the many vintage aircraft that fall under the CFR 1.1 definition.
basej

Post by basej »

3Dreaming wrote:Yes an ELSA can be flown in class C and D airspace.

A SLSA is a factory built aircraft, but not all factory built LSA are SLSA. They can also be standard category, such as the ACA Champ or the many vintage aircraft that fall under the CFR 1.1 definition.
Oh I didn't realize the LSA vs SLSA difference. Is this mainly for older aircraft then, or are there aircraft manufacturers now who may come up with an LSA aircraft design which they decide to make SLSA? In fact do you mind given a few more sentences overview of the difference?
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

basej wrote:

Oh I didn't realize the LSA vs SLSA difference. Is this mainly for older aircraft then, or are there aircraft manufacturers now who may come up with an LSA aircraft design which they decide to make SLSA? In fact do you mind given a few more sentences overview of the difference?
There are a few Legacy Standard Category aircraft that come within the specs of LSA aircraft, like the Champ, Ercoupe and Cub. So, a Sport Pilot can fly them. It’s mostly about their weight, speed and stall speeds.

The bottom line here is, whether LSA, SLSA or ELSA, the aircraft itself are all good in controlled airspace, below 18,000 feet. Of course a Sport Pilot would need a sign off for operation in Class B (not sure where else, someone please chime in) which is no big deal. Also, most of the Light Sports service ceilings are good to around FL120-130. You might see higher in a turbo’d model. And again, there are restrictions at night, and 10,000’, but only for a SP.

Hope this helps? Please chime in if I made any errors in my understanding of facts. I, like some here fly Light Sport as a PP, so I could be mistaken on some LS rules.
drseti

Post by drseti »

This is all covered in two of my EAA webinars, titled "Stepping Up to Light Sport" and "Airspace Ace". They are both available on my website - browse to http://AvSport.org/webinars .
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

basej wrote:

LSA stands for light sport aircraft, and it is defined by definition in CFR 1.1. Just like any aircraft that has more than one engine is a multi engine aircraft, any aircraft that meets the LSA definition is a light sport aircraft. The big difference in these aircraft is how their airworthiness certificates were issued. This effects to some extent how the aircraft can be flown, and certainly how it must be maintained. The airworthiness certificates that a LSA might be flown under are, standard category, primary category, special airworthiness in the light sport category, experimental operating as a light sport aircraft, experimental amateur built, experimental exhibition, and possibly some of the remaining experimental categories but these would be more temporary. Each of these have different maintenance requirements, and some operational requirements.