Wrench turner

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

Atrosa

Wrench turner

Post by Atrosa »

There are a couple of ELSAs I got my eye on. One of the issues I'm running into is i don't have time to do maintainance so i would like to hire a shop to do it but do shops usually work on experimental LSAs? To make it even more difficult the AC is jabiru powered. The original bulder has passed and it is out of annual. Any advise will be appreciated.

-Tony
chicagorandy

Re: Wrench turner

Post by chicagorandy »

Any A&P mechanic "should" be able to maintain any aircraft of your choice. But.... nothing beats experience, so best to find a shop WITH experience on your choice of plane AND engine. If there are NO mechanics or shops in your area familiar with the aircraft and engine choice? Perhaps it would be better/wiser to find a different airplane?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
drseti

Post by drseti »

chicagorandy wrote:Any A&P mechanic "should" be able to maintain any aircraft of your choice. But....
True, but in my experience, an LSRM is more likely to feel comfortable working on an ELSA than most A&Ps. Plus, many LSRMs have at least a little experience with the Jabiru 2200 and 3300. Since (to the best of my knowledge) no certified aircraft uses a Jabiru, it is unlikely that the average A&P, who works only on certified aircraft, will have ever seen a Jab.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

You are of course 100% correct. I should have avoided use of the term A&P all together. I only meant to suggest trying one's best to match the plane purchase to the capabilities of available repair facilities. Might it be that the repair facility is equally important to the choice of flying machine?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
drseti

Post by drseti »

chicagorandy wrote:Might it be that the repair facility is equally important to the choice of flying machine?
You could say that. I currently drive a Porsche, even though the nearest authorized Porsche dealer/service center is 100 miles away. I wouldn't recommend doing that with an airplane!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

drseti wrote:
chicagorandy wrote:Might it be that the repair facility is equally important to the choice of flying machine?
You could say that. I currently drive a Porsche, even though the nearest authorized Porsche dealer/service center is 100 miles away. I wouldn't recommend doing that with an airplane!
Which model Porsche, Paul? I recently sold my 914-6 to a longtime friend I met through PCA thirty years ago. I had swapped out the original 2.0 liter 6 cylinder engine for a 1989 3.2 liter Carrera engine built up by Paul Mula in Los Angeles.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
drseti

Post by drseti »

Scooper wrote:Which model Porsche, Paul?
2009 Cayman, with the 265 HP flat six and six-speed manual. Previously had a Boxter S, but after my first winter with it in PA I realized this is no place to use a ragtop as a daily driver - so I traded it in on the coupe.
I recently sold my 914-6 to a longtime friend I met through PCA thirty years ago. I had swapped out the original 2.0 liter 6 cylinder engine for a 1989 3.2 liter Carrera engine built up by Paul Mula in Los Angeles.
Sweet!
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

My first Porsche was a 1970 914 (1.7 liter four cylinder) I bought new from Bob Smith Porsche in Hollywood, and have always thought of 914s as Boxster version zero. 8)
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
RTK

Post by RTK »

Scooper wrote:My first Porsche was a 1970 914 (1.7 liter four cylinder) I bought new from Bob Smith Porsche in Hollywood, and have always thought of 914s as Boxster version zero. 8)
Bob Smith Porsche Audi...that’s a name I’ve not heard in a long time! Went with my dad to look at. 1979 Porsche 928 and 924 there as I grew up in Hollywood!

I agree that a LSRM would likely be more willing to check out a E-LSA. I think it would behoove you to find a LSRM that is familiar with the aircraft you’re looking at as they will know to inspect the critical areas of the aircraft and can spot things that may be out-of-sorts.
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

I found a A&P that will look at a prospective plane. The plane is located at thier airport. They fully disclosed that they know very little about a Jabiru 3300. They will charge me $450 to do a prebuy which includes going over all books and reaching out to the kit manufacture to see if it missing any ADs or SBs? The good news is I felt comfortable with theae guys the bad news is they are very much in demand and can't do it until Sept.

BTW the airplane is an Arion Lightning.

Blue skies,
Tony
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

A quick update. I talked to an A&P at an airport that is 6 miles from my office. He said they have 3 Jabiru powered aircraft that they regularly work on so they are proficient working on them. In fact he pointed me to a zenith that was 3300 powered on the field.

So now begins the prebuy. The shop close to the plane is 1 month behind on scheduling. So it looks like this may go into Oct.

Taking Shawn's advise I'm going to sit in one first before making my offer. I also need to secure a hanger. No way I'm leaving this outside in CTs winters.
nub_pilot

Post by nub_pilot »

I was talking with a gentleman (Jason) from Michigan in Newport News FBO about the issue of pricy hanger space and he recommended trying to find someone willing to share a hanger, most LSA are a very small foot print and depending on the size of the hanger and what they are storing might be eligible to get both planes in one. like a high wing and low relatively close together.

just something to consider.

Jeremy
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Check with the airport first and make sure “sharing” is allowed. My airport does not allow this. Per the hangar contract it’s one aircraft per hangar. My airport just ran off a bunch of trike and gyro owners because there were sharing hangars. It’s a stupid rule in my opinion but it’s still the rule.