Elsa vs lsa

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

Jfly67

Elsa vs lsa

Post by Jfly67 »

If I purchase a laSA and register it as an ElLSA can I make modifications after ? I want to be able to increase the hp using edge performance ?
FastEddieB

Re: Elsa vs lsa

Post by FastEddieB »

Yes. A major change+ may require a period of test flying, otherwise no formal testing necessary.

The only thing you can’t do is modify the plane or engine in a way that would take it out of Light Sport limitations - no flight-adjustable prop, for instance. If the engine mods resulted in level flight cruise speeds in excess of 120k, something would need to be done to limit the excess speed, such as reducing maximum cruise power via placard or equivalent.

*Not sure of the exact definition of “major change” in this regard, nor if your Edge Performance mod would meet that definition.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Yes, if I were to install edge performance mods, I would go ElSA first - as Eddie said you can do whatever you want as long as the plane remains in the Light Sport category.

Some of the Edge Performance mods result in Rotax engines producing 160 HP which, depending on the plane , could easily end up with cruise speed greater than allowable for Light Sport planes but as Eddie said, just placard the thing - it is your plane after all, who is to say otherwise.

Of course, having HP increased significantly can result in all sorts of auxiliary changes ( prop etc ) for which you gonna have to account but that’s something you would work with Edge Performance on.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

When I converted my SLSA to experimental, the DAR cautioned me that any major modification (engine, propeller, etc.) would require new phase 1 testing.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Scooper wrote:When I converted my SLSA to experimental, the DAR cautioned me that any major modification (engine, propeller, etc.) would require new phase 1 testing.
I assume many engine modifications could qualify as "minor". Maybe the Professor can provide some guidance here.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Jfly67 wrote:If I purchase a laSA and register it as an ElLSA can I make modifications after ? I want to be able to increase the hp using edge performance ?
First LSA is a term assigned to any aircraft that meets the CFR 1.1 definition of a light sport aircraft. Only LSA with a special airworthiness certificate in the light sport category can be converted to ELSA. It is not a registration change, but rather a change of the airworthiness certificate.

If you make the change to ELSA, then you can make modifications. Based on on CFR 43 appendix A I think any change you would likely make to increase performance would require putting the aircraft back into phase 1 flight testing. That shouldn't be a big deal, and would likely only require 5 hours of test time to return back to phase 2 operations.
drseti

Post by drseti »

From FAR 1.1:
Major alteration means an alteration not listed in the aircraft, aircraft engine, or propeller specifications—

(1) That might appreciably affect weight, balance, structural strength, performance, powerplant operation, flight characteristics, or other qualities affecting airworthiness; or

(2) That is not done according to accepted practices or cannot be done by elementary operations.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I guess the word “appreciably” in (1) makes it somewhat subjective?
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

FastEddieB wrote:I guess the word “appreciably” in (1) makes it somewhat subjective?
Yes. But not as subjective as "accepted practices" or "elementary operations."

ADs often refer to "other means acceptable to the Administrator". That's a little bit better, because if in doubt, one can always ask him or her.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Jfly67 wrote:If I purchase a laSA and register it as an ElLSA can I make modifications after ? I want to be able to increase the hp using edge performance ?
If you fly 100 hours per year at 120 knots, you will cover 12,000 nm. If you fly that same distance at 115 knots, it will take you 104 hours. How much is your time worth?
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TimTaylor wrote:
If you fly 100 hours per year at 120 knots, you will cover 12,000 nm. If you fly that same distance at 115 knots, it will take you 104 hours. How much is your time worth?
Maybe his desire to increase power has nothing to do with speed, but rather take off and climb performance. Generally that is the reason for wanting to increase power. It takes a big increase to make much difference in speed.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

3Dreaming wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:
Maybe his desire to increase power has nothing to do with speed, but rather take off and climb performance. Generally that is the reason for wanting to increase power. It takes a big increase to make much difference in speed.
We don't know why, do we? My response was to the OP for his consideration, not you.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TimTaylor wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:
We don't know why, do we? My response was to the OP for his consideration, not you.
No need to get all torqued off. I just quoted you to put my statement in context. Besides when you post on the open forum your post is for all forum members not just the OP, you don't get to be selective. Since I am a forum member I guess it was for my consideration. I considered it, and made a comment.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

TimTaylor wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:If you fly 100 hours per year at 120 knots, you will cover 12,000 nm. If you fly that same distance at 115 knots, it will take you 104 hours. How much is your time worth?
Why the thin skin?
3Dreaming made a valid point. A point which all of us could ponder . . . including you and the OP.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Jfly67

Post by Jfly67 »

Appreciate all the responses and it’s not about going 115kts to 120kts it’s more like 100Kts to 120KTs and better climb rates as most our missions require 9500 ‘ Plus my background is in the racing community and performances is important to me. The plane is rated to 130Kts and I am aware that would take it out of LSA