My Sky Arrow ADSB solution

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

My Sky Arrow ADSB solution

Post by FastEddieB »

Part 1

For several years, I’ve been studiously avoiding any discussion of ADSB solutions. My plan was just to wait until December, 2019 and worry about it then. And I think it was a good plan.

But time sure flies! And here we are.

I decided on a Garmin GDL 82 with GPS, since I have no proper GPS source in the plane. $1,795 from Sporty’s. I went Garmin, since I’ve had excellent reliability and service from Garmin units over the years, and it will be interfacing with a Garmin GTX 327 transponder.

Anyway, got the unit about a week ago. Garmin certainly spared no expense on packaging:

(the blue USB cable is one I had lying around)

What’s in the bag:

No manual or templates. Pretty chintzy, if you ask me.

To be continued...
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FastEddieB

Re: My Sky Arrow ADSB solution

Post by FastEddieB »

Part 2

I had room under the pilot’s seat, so that’s where it’s going.

I decided Velcro SuperLock tape would work, and added some aluminum stock to allow for more surface area:

Unit in place:

With seat in place:

I’ve ordered 3 coax cables. One to go from the unit to the existing transponder antenna, and 2 to splice together for the GPS antenna, so I can still easily remove my instrument panel, and I plan to mount the GPS antenna on my glare shield.

I have a friend with friends in an avionics shop who have the right crimping tool to wire the multi-pin connector. That may happen tomorrow.

I’m keeping the installation as simple as possible, so only 6 pins will be utilized:

Anyway, that’s where I am right now, and I’ll update as I progress. Open to any suggestions or advice.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Neat.
My unit has been 100 % reliable during last 14 or so months ... one thing you will need is a windows laptop running Garmin config utility to configure the unit.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Warmi wrote:Neat.
My unit has been 100 % reliable during last 14 or so months ... one thing you will need is a windows laptop running Garmin config utility to configure the unit.
Thanks! The same friend referenced above has a Windows laptop (I don’t). He’s in the same process with a GDL 82 in his E-LSA Remos at our TN airstrip, so we’re learning from each other.

Has anyone found the “ground plane” for the GPS antenna necessary? I ask because GPS antennas seem to work just fine anywhere I’ve stuck them. The stock GPS antenna for my Cirrus’ #2 430 was just Velcro’d to the bottom of its glareshield from the factory with no ground plane apparent and worked just fine* and apparently passed FAA muster.

*If a Cirrus’ #2 GPS ever gets weak, the first thing to check has always been to see if the adhesive for the Velcro had succumbed to heat, time and gravity and was just dangling behind the panel. They used just regular hook-and-loop Velcro, which sure seemed chintzy to me.
Last edited by FastEddieB on Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Great solution Eddie, let us know if you encounter any issues with the setup.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I installed one on a CTSW, and used a ground plane. It wont be an issue for my Warrior installation. I know there are people flying around out there without a ground plane on the antenna, but my question would be does it meet the TSO-C154c requirements if the ground plane is not installed.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

3Dreaming wrote:I installed one on a CTSW, and used a ground plane. It wont be an issue for my Warrior installation. I know there are people flying around out there without a ground plane on the antenna, but my question would be does it meet the TSO-C154c requirements if the ground plane is not installed.
I'm guessing that foil tape is cheap, so I may just stick some behind where its being mounted.

Silly question: does it need to be grounded, or is it just reflective in nature?
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I think the foil tape without grounding will be fine.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Warmi wrote:Neat.
Same here, I've had mine for quite some time now and it's works great, never an issue with it. Paired to my Aera 660 and it's a great combo. Make sure to use RG-400 cable and not the cheap black stuff, RG-58 I think.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

ShawnM wrote:Make sure to use RG-400 cable and not the cheap black stuff, RG-58 I think.
Yep, got the RG-400 stuff from WiFi Experts LLC, an eBay seller recommended to me by a fellow over on POA. I contacted them directly and got a discount for using PayPal. $40 all in for a 4’ and 2x3’ with a mix of straight and angled BNC and TNC connectors.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

FastEddieB wrote:
ShawnM wrote:Make sure to use RG-400 cable and not the cheap black stuff, RG-58 I think.
Yep, got the RG-400 stuff from WiFi Experts LLC, an eBay seller recommended to me by a fellow over on POA. I contacted them directly and got a discount for using PayPal. $40 all in for a 4’ and 2x3’ with a mix of straight and angled BNC and TNC connectors.
Remember that the instructions calls for a minimum cable length of 6.5 feet with 2 connectors for the GPS antenna to have the signal loss in the acceptable range. You may be okay with the additional connectors.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

3Dreaming wrote:
Remember that the instructions calls for a minimum cable length of 6.5 feet with 2 connectors for the GPS antenna to have the signal loss in the acceptable range. You may be okay with the additional connectors.
Thanks. I have a 3’ and a 4’ with a TNC joint in the middle to make the 6.5’ requirement while allowing me to disconnect at the joint to remove my panel.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Baby steps.

Antenna coax and 1/2 of the GPS coax installed just now:

Let me say that the coax fabricated by WiFi Experts LLC looks to be of very high quality.

The next and bigger step is pulling the panel to mount the GPS antenna, routing it’s cable and piggybacking onto the transponder breaker and finding a good ground.

To be continued...
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I’m trying to wrap up the install today, but I just had a recurrence of Mature Onset Dyslexia...

I got the GPS antenna mounted to my glareshield, but it was sitting on my bench “backwards”. It wasn’t until I had all the holes drilled and the antenna mounted that I realized the antenna would end up facing the wrong way:

The aerodynamics isn’t a factor of course, but is the backwards mounting an issue otherwise? Rotating it 180° wouldn’t be a huge issue, but would mean relocating the connector hole and would leave two screw holes to be capped. It actually doesn’t look horrible as it is, kinda mimicking the lines of the nose.

Anyway, now just have to run power and ground and program, and I should be done.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
proemer

Post by proemer »

Backwards mounting should be no problem.

I have a white antenna in a similar position... covered it with black tape... since I didn't like the white reflection in the canopy.

Pete