LODA required

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

David

LODA required

Post by David »

With the changes for experimental aircrafts and receiving instruction was a new FAA surprise, but the process was painless to request a Letter of Deviation Authority (LODA). It was painless I just sent in an email to [email protected] In this format.

I am also writing to request a LODA as an aircraft owner to be able to receive flight instruction / BFR in my personally owned EAB aircraft N25DV.
- owner
- Email
Sport pilot, ####### - certificate number
N##XX - aircraft registration number (applying as an owner),
EAB - aircraft make and model
Pottstown Heritage KPTW - aircraft home base (applying as an owner).

I received my LODA back in 6 days via email in a PDF to put in the airplane
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
Wm.Ince

Re: LODA required

Post by Wm.Ince »

Thank you, Dave!
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
David

Post by David »

Wm.Ince wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:07 pm Thank you, Dave!
Not sure if E-LSA is in the category - I fly an EAB. Paul your thoughts on ELSA’s
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

My SportCruiser is an E-LSA and I have requested a LODA for my BFR's already and now I wait. They just mention "experimental" and don't really distinguish between E-LSA or E-AB so we'll see. My plane is also registered under an LLC and they issue the LODA to the entity and not me individually.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I received my LODA via email from the Tampa FSDO this morning. 6 days start to finish. :mrgreen:
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

Just sent my E-LSA LODA request for my RANS S-6ES. Hopefully I'll get the same 6-day service. (Though I'm now 6 months into waiting for anything "formal" on my LSRM-I certificate... The FSDO guy gave me a "temp" form and said it might take a while for the permanent one... He was right.)
Jim Parker
2007 RANS S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Light Sport Repairman - Airplane - Inspection
Farmersville, TX
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

JimParker256 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:16 pm Just sent my E-LSA LODA request for my RANS S-6ES. Hopefully I'll get the same 6-day service. (Though I'm now 6 months into waiting for anything "formal" on my LSRM-I certificate... The FSDO guy gave me a "temp" form and said it might take a while for the permanent one... He was right.)
I also have my LSRM-I license (the hard plastic one) but I forget how long I waited for it Jim. I was shocked that it only took 6 days to get my LODA and two of those days were a Saturday and Sunday. Since when does the FAA ever move that fast? Remember they're not happy until you're not happy. :mrgreen:
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Hmm. Never thought about getting a BFR. Pretty sure my regular guy wouldn't care but if I ever had to get someone else to do it. So I sent off my request. This should make for an interesting discussion at my next EAA chapter meeting.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

rcpilot wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:31 am Hmm. Never thought about getting a BFR. Pretty sure my regular guy wouldn't care but if I ever had to get someone else to do it. So I sent off my request. This should make for an interesting discussion at my next EAA chapter meeting.
It's not really about "who cares" and more about being legal. If by some off chance you had an incident or accident during said BFR "training" flight then what?
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Well, that was quick. Got my LODA today from the Louisville FSDO.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Though I’m still a little fuzzy on the exact need for this foolishness, I emailed my request last Thursday and got my LODA for my E-LSA Sky Arrow in an email today. Also from Louisville.

This thread is what goaded me into applying, so thanks!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

FastEddieB wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:34 am Though I’m still a little fuzzy on the exact need for this foolishness.....
Remember, because they're not happy until you're not happy. :mrgreen:
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

JimParker256 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:16 pm Just sent my E-LSA LODA request for my RANS S-6ES. Hopefully I'll get the same 6-day service. (Though I'm now 6 months into waiting for anything "formal" on my LSRM-I certificate... The FSDO guy gave me a "temp" form and said it might take a while for the permanent one... He was right.)
I received my LODA yesterday, 9 days (7 working days) after I submitted it. Pretty decent turn-around for the Friendly Aviation Association... Oddly enough, it came from the Louisville FSDO, even though I'm minutes from the Ft Worth FSDO office. Go figure. But I'm not complaining – I got it!

As for the LSRM certificate, I followed up with the FSDO inspector, and he was quite surprised I had not received at least my temporary, but fully expected that I would have had the "permanent" certificate by now... Then he looked in his files, and found the "fully completed packet" still sitting in his "to do" folder... Oops. A million apologies later, he sent me an electronic copy of the digitally signed "Temporary Airman Certificate" (FAA Form 8060-4) showing I have the privileges of Repairman (Light Sport Aircraft) with Inspection rating for Airplane (my specific N-number and Serial Number. It is good for 120 days from the issue date. He said that now that it's actually been submitted, I should receive the "permanent" certificate within a few weeks. (And apologised another five or six times.

Turns out this inspector got pulled away from working on my certificate to work an accident scene, followed by five more accident scenes (been a horrible spring/summer around here). The most recent one was a multiple-fatality accident, including two small kids. You could tell from his voice that it really shook him up, and he said he will never be able to "un-see" that one... It was pretty brutal.

Fly carefully, y'all!
Jim Parker
2007 RANS S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Light Sport Repairman - Airplane - Inspection
Farmersville, TX
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I applied for my generic CFI LODA at 1:35P today. Got the LODA at 2:20P.

Pretty fast service from the FAA!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

I applied for mine Friday . . . received it back the following Sunday! :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator