So…I bought an SLSA!!

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

Wm.Ince

Re: So…I bought an SLSA!!

Post by Wm.Ince »

Nomore767 wrote: . . . "What type plane did you fly across the country?" . . .
I flew my newly acquired CTSW from San Jose to Tampa, last March.

Thanks a lot for the review on the SV-KNOB-PANEL and SV-AP-PANEL. I am getting bids on an install for both this December. . . . :)
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Thanks a lot for the review on the SV-KNOB-PANEL and SV-AP-PANEL. I am getting bids on an install for both this December. . . . :)[/quote]

The Skyview already has controls for the knob panel either the cursor or, for me with the Touch, touching the screen, but I've found that, personally I use it a lot.

Likewise the a/p panel…I like having it in the one panel.

So how was the CTSW for comfort on the long journey and what kind of fuel burn did you get?
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Nomore767 wrote: . . "So how was the CTSW for comfort on the long journey and what kind of fuel burn did you get?" . . .
The CT series are very roomy, with 49" of shoulder room. The leather seat was comfortable, but I used a small memory cushion for my lower back. Without the cushion, it would have been miserable on my back.

For the 2200 mile trip, I averaged 4.3/GPH at 5100 RPM.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Howard, congratulations. You seemed to invest as much effort and thought in making an LSA choice as anyone I've seen post here. It's nice to hear you ended up so satisfied...not that it's very surprising given your choice.

When you get a chance, why not share (via a new thread, I suggest) the acquisition process you went thru with Vans. Did you visit the contract mfg.'s site? How long a wait? How is after-sales access for support handled? Any pricing or package choices that make more sense than others. Vans is so new at marketing these S-LSA a/c that I'm sure the info would be welcome by others here.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

Howard,

Congratulation on the new aircraft. It sounds like it will suit you well.
Of course I would have liked to sell you a Tecnam but I understand why you chose the 12.

If you are at any of the shows please stop by to say hi.

Mark
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Howard, as I remember it one of your most significant reservations re: an S-LSA purchase had to do with the Rotax engine. Most of the choices suitable for you came with the Rotax, yet you lacked access to a fully, specifically Rotax trained mech where you were planning to base the a/c. And you weren't especially keen on becoming your own Rotax technician, at least past the basics. How did you end up resolving this?
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Follow up question...

...are you considering a conversion to E-LSA?

A bit of a hijack, but it was the single biggest contributor to my Light Sport experience I can think of, and with the 16-hour course dramatically drove down the cost of flying.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Jack,

I think I will do the 2 day service course and there are a couple of Rotax service centers that I can use.

Eddie,

No I'm not considering going E-LSA.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Nomore767 wrote:Jack,

I think I will do the 2 day service course and there are a couple of Rotax service centers that I can use.

Eddie,

No I'm not considering going E-LSA.
The two day course I took was the one that permits E-LSA owners to do their own "annuals".

It heavily focused on how to inspect. Very little on maintenance, per sé.

Is there a separate service course?

In any case it's a good idea to be clear on what you can and can't do on your RV12. The maintenance manual should ideally make it clear.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

Eddie, the course you took is the one that results in the FAA issuing you an LSRI. That certificate allows you to do inspection only on the ELSA that you own. Training is not specific to any airframe or engine. The other two-day course is one offered by Rotax, just on the day-to-day care of their engine. It is called the Rotax Service-Level course. You get a Rotax card from that one, but nothing from the FAA. (Somebody with a Rotax-powered ELSA is well advised to take both.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Eddie and Paul,

I was referring to the 2-day course offered at Lockwood for example whereby afterwards I can do the routine servicing. There are more lengthy courses that allow some limited maintenance all the way up to Repairman.

Right now the 2 -day would be my starting point.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Howard, I believe you are referring to the Rotax Service Level course, taught at Lockwood and elsewhere. This is a well-spent two days, and will help you along with such routine things as oil and filter changes, spark plug changes, and selecting the best fuel, oil and coolant for your operating conditions. It is Rotax 912 series engine specific, does not go into airframe, avionics, or accessory issues, and does not really teach maintenance. It goes into the recommended service intervals for various engine parts, but you will not be able to service them yourself. To get into the Rotax maintenance classes, you need to hold a Repairman Certificate.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US