So…I bought an SLSA!!

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

Nomore767

So…I bought an SLSA!!

Post by Nomore767 »

Okay, so after a lot of research, questions, demos, questions, the Sebring Expo, yada yada…I decided to buy an SLSA.

I figured the best aircraft, for ME, and MY mission, is the Vans RV-12 SLSA. I looked at several LSAs on my list but overall I think the RV-12 is the best for ME.

I just got back from a week long trip out to Vans in Oregon where I bought the plane, had transition training and then spent just under 28 hours, over 5 days, flying the airplane home to South Carolina.
Aurora, OR to Redding CA.
Redding, CA to Merced, CA
Merced, CA to Bakersfield CA
Bakersfield, CA to Blythe, CA
Blythe, CA to Tucson, AZ
Tucson, AZ to El Paso, TX
El Paso, TX to Sweetwater, TX
Sweetwater, Tx to Tyler, TX
Tyler, TX to Greenwood, MS
Greenwood, MS to Columbus, GA
Columbus, GA to Lancaster, SC

Here are some of the many pics I took during the trip.
Attachments
767HG-5.jpg
767HG-5.jpg (88.53 KiB) Viewed 5543 times
767HG-6.jpg
767HG-6.jpg (102.22 KiB) Viewed 5543 times
IMG_0626.jpg
IMG_0626.jpg (82.63 KiB) Viewed 5543 times
David

Re: So…I bought an SLSA!!

Post by David »

Nice paint and your going to enjoy flying it.
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Okay a few more pics:-
Attachments
767HG-1.jpg
767HG-1.jpg (69.28 KiB) Viewed 5534 times
767HG-3.jpg
767HG-3.jpg (78.8 KiB) Viewed 5534 times
767HG-4.jpg
767HG-4.jpg (83.81 KiB) Viewed 5534 times
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

David wrote:Nice paint and your going to enjoy flying it.
Thanks for the kind words David,

I'll be flying up to the Bucks County area in the future (probably KPNE, KTTN, or KDYL) to visit with family and it would be great to visit with you at Pottsown.

And I must say…I already do love flying the plane…it gets better every time and has performed wonderfully well across mountains, deserts and extreme heat. In return I treated her to overnight hangars and a lot of pampering!

Cheers, Howard.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
David

Post by David »

Nomore767 wrote:
David wrote:Nice paint and your going to enjoy flying it.
Thanks for the kind words David,

I'll be flying up to the Bucks County area in the future (probably KPNE, KTTN, or KDYL) to visit with family and it would be great to visit with you at Pottsown.

And I must say…I already do love flying the plane…it gets better every time and has performed wonderfully well across mountains, deserts and extreme heat. In return I treated her to overnight hangars and a lot of pampering!

Cheers, Howard.
Hope to see you soon, It looks a easy half day flight with stops.
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

MovingOn wrote:Congratulations Howard. I'm jealous. Fly over to Atlanta someday and take me for a ride. Or, pick me up in Lincolnton. Where are you going to keep it?
I'll be in Lancaster SC for the time being. Really quiet little airport about 25 mins drive from me.

Gayle and I will have a lot a lot on our plates for a while …visiting family in the US and the UK in the next few months. Have a 25 hour Rotax inspection to schedule as well as get some modified throttle springs (hopefully a new vernier throttle mod) and a module swap (which were planned by Vans before I took the plane. Busy, busy but I'll try to fly as often as schedule and weather permit.
Going to be getting to know the airplane more and keeping up with maintenance etc as well as trying to get Gayle to like small planes a little better!

Hickory airport has a little restaurant, and there's one at Rutherfordton (which you've been to but I haven't), so perhaps we can meet up there sometime?
Last edited by Nomore767 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

Congrats, she's beautiful!

And I see what you did there with the reg number. :wink:

Let me know if you come into KTTN!
Andy / PP-ASEL
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

Congrats!!!! Nice bird. Give me a call sometime. Would like to hear more about it.
Aviation Real Estate Broker
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Congratulations on your new toy!
Enjoy it and take good care of it.
Good looking airplane. I saw a livery just like it at Sebring this year.

I regret not taking more pictures on my trip home to Tampa from San Jose. But 95% of the route was moderate turbulence, so I had my hands full most of the time. Was fun though and I am glad I did it.
Hope the weather was better for you during your trip home.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Wm.Ince wrote:Congratulations on your new toy!
Enjoy it and take good care of it.
Good looking airplane. I saw a livery just like it at Sebring this year.

I regret not taking more pictures on my trip home to Tampa from San Jose. But 95% of the route was moderate turbulence, so I had my hands full most of the time. Was fun though and I am glad I did it.
Hope the weather was better for you during your trip home.
Yes it's the same color as the Sebring airplane N249VA, which was actually being delivered to a customer in Leesburg FL, and delivered at the Expo. I understand that it's actually for sale right now, hardly used. I think the owner has a medical reason for the sale.
My airplane is a little different in that I have the Skyview Touch and the autopilot panel, along with the knob panel for Alt/Hdg/Baro.

I chose the black color because it's the only one that doesn't have white!

I took pictures the whole way home including each fuel stop/overnight. Yeah, it was hard at times with the turbulence. The worst leg for that was Tucson to El Paso. I was going to overnight at Tucson and arrived at about 1pm having been getting up early for the cooler , calmer air. However, the FBO at Tucson, Million Air, really pissed me off providing no service for a small propellor plane and charging high fees for even that so I elected to continue know it was hot and bumpy. I wasn't wrong and it was a little over 2 hours of continuous light to moderate!

The weather was generally pretty good, if you flew earlier in the day and finished earlier. I was also lucky in that many times what weather there was dissipated. Over the Gorman Pass out of Bakersfield towards the high desert (Edwards, Palmdale etc) was a bit murky but it was a high overcast and I was soon through it.

The RV-12 is a great little cross-country airplane and I've been well pleased with it. The autopilot is limited in it's capability to handle turbulence, so lots of trim up. trim down messages and usually easier to hand fly. But in smoother weather it'll capture altitudes and fly course and heading etc very well allowing you t get a break and have a drink and snack.

Looking back it's hard to believe that I flew it all that way!
Last edited by Nomore767 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

Great looking airplane--and what a nice trip!
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Nomore767 wrote:. . . " with the turbulence. The worst leg for that was Tucson to El Paso." . . .
That was the most turbulent leg for me also.
Nomore767 wrote:. . . "the FBO at Tucson, Million Air, really pissed me off providing no service for a small propellor plane and charging high fees for even that" . . .
I will be avoiding them in the future and urge all my flying friends to do the same.
Nomore767 wrote:. . . "Over the Gorman Pass out of Bakersfield towards the high desert (Edwards, Palmdale etc) was a bit murky but it was a high overcast and I was soon through it." . . .
I chose the Tehachapi Pass, which is north of where you flew, coming directly southeast out of Bakersfield. Good vis and ceiling, but was very turbulent. I stopped at William J. Fox (KWJF) for fuel and extend my range.
Nomore767 wrote:. . . "I have the Skyview Touch and the autopilot panel, along with the knob panel for Alt/Hdg/Baro." . . .
Nice setup. Thus far, how do you like the "KNOB panel" and "A/P panel?" I have dual 7" SkyViews and I am thinking of adding those two panels to my system. Without those, just too many knob pushes and turns. . . . :)
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Wm.Ince wrote:
Nomore767 wrote:. . . " with the turbulence. The worst leg for that was Tucson to El Paso." . . .
That was the most turbulent leg for me also.
Nomore767 wrote:. . . "the FBO at Tucson, Million Air, really pissed me off providing no service for a small propellor plane and charging high fees for even that" . . .
I will be avoiding them in the future and urge all my flying friends to do the same.
Nomore767 wrote:. . . "Over the Gorman Pass out of Bakersfield towards the high desert (Edwards, Palmdale etc) was a bit murky but it was a high overcast and I was soon through it." . . .
I chose the Tehachapi Pass, which is north of where you flew, coming directly southeast out of Bakersfield. Good vis and ceiling, but was very turbulent. I stopped at William J. Fox (KWJF) for fuel and extend my range.
Nomore767 wrote:. . . "I have the Skyview Touch and the autopilot panel, along with the knob panel for Alt/Hdg/Baro." . . .
Nice setup. Thus far, how do you like the "KNOB panel" and "A/P panel?" I have dual 7" SkyViews and I am thinking of adding those two panels to my system. Without those, just too many knob pushes and turns. . . . :)
The knob panel I actually use a lot…especially as I was getting baro settings from each controller. The altitude knob I use a lot too…I set the cruise alt taxiing out and the pattern alt on the descent. The INFO button on the Skyview gives all the details about the airport, runways etc and the pattern altitude which I find very useful. The heading bug/knob I use a lot when cruising with autopilot to match track etc.
The autopilot panel is good….when I level at cruise I try to trim it as it's a good little unit but in turn especially its working hard so I help it. I use the panel to select a/p on and then select alt, hdg or nav to fly level, and to navigate. There is a level button which will just fly you straight and level. When flying the Garmin G3X Touch it also had a beta autopilot panel.

I didn't get turn out of Bakersfield but it was pretty murky. High overcast, some sprinkles and a dose of the LA basin smog rolling in.

Once through the weather improved dramatically and I had a great ride.

What type plane did you fly across the country?

Cheers, Howard

Here are some pics of flying through the Gorman Pass:-
Attachments
IMG_0546.jpg
IMG_0546.jpg (18.01 KiB) Viewed 5446 times
IMG_0550.jpg
IMG_0550.jpg (18.1 KiB) Viewed 5446 times
IMG_0553.jpg
IMG_0553.jpg (15.58 KiB) Viewed 5446 times