Looking down the stacks

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

Merlinspop

Re: Looking down the stacks

Post by Merlinspop »

N918KT wrote: Ah, ok. Yeah the reason why I thought that power plant was a nuclear power plant was because of its iconic shape of the cooling towers but I didn't know that other types of power plants could use those same cooling towers as the nuke plants do and I didn't know either that not all nuclear power plants have that iconic shape of the cooling towers.
Most have the big cooling towers, but one I know that doesn't is a North Lake Anna (about 5 NE of LKU). It uses the lake for cooling.
I only know any of this because a couple days ago I saw a picture of TMI and started wondering how those towers worked, so I spent my commute doing research.
- Bruce
drseti

Re: Looking down the stacks

Post by drseti »

I don't know much about how TMI works, Bruce, but I do remember flying up the Susquehanna River from Harrisburg to WIlliamsport, when I first moved East about 25 years ago. I saw this big island in the middle of the river, said to myself "Wow! That island down there must be three miles long!" Then, it hit me (at about the same time the palm of my hand hit my forehead).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US