San Francisco from Land's End

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

User avatar
Scooper
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:29 pm
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

San Francisco from Land's End

Postby Scooper » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:58 pm

Today was gorgeous except for the NorCal forest fires haze, so I took the Zodiac up for an hour long bay tour to check out my newly installed Aera 660 GPS panel mounted in an Air Gizmo adapter, and took my camera long to see if it was clear enough for decent photos. This picture was taken from just off Land's End looking east toward downtown with Crissy Field on the left and the western span of the Bay Bridge at the top left and Oakland across the bay at the top. The haze from the fires is pretty obvious. The Aera 660 worked great, and supports ADS-B In traffic display when connected to the GDL 39R ADS-B receiver.

Image
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Image
Experimental AMD CH601XL-B LSA N601KE (KSTS)

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 6379
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: San Francisco from Land's End

Postby drseti » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:00 pm

You're making me homesick, Stan.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

User avatar
Scooper
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:29 pm
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

Re: San Francisco from Land's End

Postby Scooper » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:36 am

drseti wrote:You're making me homesick, Stan.


Paul, I didn't know you were from the bay area. Cool.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Image
Experimental AMD CH601XL-B LSA N601KE (KSTS)

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 6379
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: San Francisco from Land's End

Postby drseti » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:32 am

San Jose was my home from 1960 to 1990 (with interruptions for college and Air Force). After I got out of the service, I worked for Lockheed, had a Silicon Valley start-up, did a master's at San Jose State, a doctorate at Berkeley, and taught at West Valley, SJCC, and SJSU, while flight instructing out of KRHV. I get back about once a year - have a daughter and grandson in Berkeley, and a hangar at 1C9. We should fly together next time I'm out (maybe Jan or Feb).
You might have known me as N6TX once upon a time, or WA6UAM before that.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

User avatar
Scooper
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:29 pm
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

Re: San Francisco from Land's End

Postby Scooper » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:17 pm

That's quite a CV, Paul. I did four years in the Air Force including two and a half years at Vandenberg Tracking Station supporting the Corona polar orbiting reconnaissance satellite program with six weeks TDY at the Blue Cube in Sunnyvale. I learned to fly at Vandenberg through the VAFB aero club in the early sixties.

Next time you're out this way give me a heads up.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Image
Experimental AMD CH601XL-B LSA N601KE (KSTS)

Cbt jmp
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:39 pm
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: San Francisco from Land's End

Postby Cbt jmp » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:32 am

Ok, so I know I am getting to this thread late, but just in case you still follow it, I had to mention I also worked at the Blue Cube (2nd floor). Following its closure, moved to the Lockheed campus in building 195D (and others).
Cheers!

User avatar
ShawnM
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL / KZPH

Re: San Francisco from Land's End

Postby ShawnM » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:18 am

Sorry that I dont have any impressive credentials to share but wanted to say that I'm glad you are enjoying your Aera 660 Stan. I have the GDL-39 on my dash not the remote unit. I just didn't want to install another antenna. Did you get the GDL-82 installed?

Sling 2 Pilot
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: San Francisco from Land's End

Postby Sling 2 Pilot » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:46 am

I’m glad this thread got bumped.

Stan, it was great seeing the photo of sunny California. It’s been abysmal here in the northeast since I flew my Sling back from Torrance last July. I’m lucky if I get an hour or so once every week or two since then. Earlier this week, we got 8+” of snow and temps went to -10. Today it’s drizzling and 50F.

User avatar
Scooper
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:29 pm
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

Re: San Francisco from Land's End

Postby Scooper » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:52 pm

Cbt jmp wrote:Ok, so I know I am getting to this thread late, but just in case you still follow it, I had to mention I also worked at the Blue Cube (2nd floor). Following its closure, moved to the Lockheed campus in building 195D (and others).
Cheers!

Wow, Kurt! What a small world.
ShawnM wrote:Sorry that I dont have any impressive credentials to share but wanted to say that I'm glad you are enjoying your Aera 660 Stan. I have the GDL-39 on my dash not the remote unit. I just didn't want to install another antenna. Did you get the GDL-82 installed?

Not yet Shawn; we bought a house in the Sonoma County wine country last month and are in the throws of moving. I lucked out and managed to get a T-hangar at Sonoma County airport (STS), so I have a new home for the Zodiac. Once the dust settles from the move, I'll install the GDL-82 in conjunction with performing my annual condition inspection.
Sling 2 Pilot wrote:I’m glad this thread got bumped.

Stan, it was great seeing the photo of sunny California. It’s been abysmal here in the northeast since I flew my Sling back from Torrance last July. I’m lucky if I get an hour or so once every week or two since then. Earlier this week, we got 8+” of snow and temps went to -10. Today it’s drizzling and 50F.

We've been spared the low temperatures, but have had quite a bit of rain in the bay area and snow in the Sierras. I don't miss cold winters at all. :D
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Image
Experimental AMD CH601XL-B LSA N601KE (KSTS)

User avatar
ShawnM
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL / KZPH

Re: San Francisco from Land's End

Postby ShawnM » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:01 pm

Scooper wrote:Not yet Shawn; we bought a house in the Sonoma County wine country last month and are in the throws of moving. I lucked out and managed to get a T-hangar at Sonoma County airport (STS), so I have a new home for the Zodiac. Once the dust settles from the move, I'll install the GDL-82 in conjunction with performing my annual condition inspection.


Congrats on the move and in getting a hangar, I know many places where they are as elusive as Bigfoot. :mrgreen:

Next time the girlfriend and I are out in wine country I'll look you up if you have time for a visit and a bottle of wine (and maybe a bike ride). We've driven by your "new" airport many times in search of that perfect bottle. Our last trip was in and around the Russian River valley area and the "Route 116 Wine Tour". Love it up your way. Beats the crowds in Sonoma and Napa any day. :D

Good luck with the install of the GDL-82.

User avatar
Warmi
Posts: 915
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:35 pm
Location: Frankfort, IL

Re: San Francisco from Land's End

Postby Warmi » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:11 pm

ShawnM wrote:
Scooper wrote:Not yet Shawn; we bought a house in the Sonoma County wine country last month and are in the throws of moving. I lucked out and managed to get a T-hangar at Sonoma County airport (STS), so I have a new home for the Zodiac. Once the dust settles from the move, I'll install the GDL-82 in conjunction with performing my annual condition inspection.


Congrats on the move and in getting a hangar, I know many places where they are as elusive as Bigfoot. :mrgreen:

Next time the girlfriend and I are out in wine country I'll look you up if you have time for a visit and a bottle of wine (and maybe a bike ride). We've driven by your "new" airport many times in search of that perfect bottle. Our last trip was in and around the Russian River valley area and the "Route 116 Wine Tour". Love it up your way. Beats the crowds in Sonoma and Napa any day. :D

Good luck with the install of the GDL-82.



In 2017 , we were close to buying a house on lake Berryessa and went all the way to Clear lake looking for a suitable location .... but then again, reason prevailed and thus we are still here in IL :D
I don’t really like SF and the valley but up north , some of these places were just lovely but the 2 hour commute to the valley was just too insane ...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois

User avatar
Scooper
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:29 pm
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

Re: San Francisco from Land's End

Postby Scooper » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:34 am

Our new homestead is two blocks from the closest winery and vineyards, St. Francis Winery between Santa Rosa and Kenwood on Highway 12, Sonoma Highway. Our back yard is an 18 hole golf course.

Image

Image

The Zodiac's new home at Sonoma County Airport.

Image
Image
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Image
Experimental AMD CH601XL-B LSA N601KE (KSTS)

User avatar
ShawnM
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL / KZPH

Re: San Francisco from Land's End

Postby ShawnM » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:30 pm

Beautiful location Stan, congrats again. It would be great living in wine country and no waiting list for a hangar is icing on the cake. Enjoy

User avatar
Scooper
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:29 pm
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

Re: San Francisco from Land's End

Postby Scooper » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:40 pm

Goodbye Oakland, hello Santa Rosa.

The forecast for today was for thunderstorms, but it dawned clear and sunny. Flying the Zodiac to its new home at Charles Schulz-Sonoma County Airport was a "go."

San Francisco Bay as I departed KOAK was gorgeous; the cellphone photo doesn't do it justice.

Image

Tucked away in its new hangar at KSTS.

Image
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Image
Experimental AMD CH601XL-B LSA N601KE (KSTS)

Sling 2 Pilot
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: San Francisco from Land's End

Postby Sling 2 Pilot » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:46 am

Excellent Stan! Good Luck in the new Digs...


Return to “Eye Candy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests