In Memoriam: Muriel Hykes

Sport Pilot Talk is a close-knit community of mutually supportive pilots, who often help each other out with various resources and hospitality. Are you going somewhere and want to meet up with other Sport Pilot Talk members? Do you have hangar space, fuel, tools, or a guest room to share? Or, are you hoping a fellow member can offer you similar support or assistance? Here is the place to post your offers or requests (on a strictly non-commercial basis).

Moderator: drseti

drseti

In Memoriam: Muriel Hykes

Post by drseti »

Several forum members have met my wife, Muriel Hykes, at various aviation events over the years. I am sorry to have to inform you that she passed away recently, following a lengthy battle with congestive heart failure.

Although from a prominent General Aviation family, Muriel was not a pilot. She grew up (quite literally) on the Bloomsburg PA airport, spending part of her childhood living in an apartment above the Columbia Aviation maintenance hangar. Her uncle, Fred Vedic, operated Columbia and served as airport manager. Her father, Robert Hykes, was chief pilot. Her mother, Joyce Kramer Hykes, and aunt, Janet Kramer Vedic, were the airport secretaries. Her cousins did all the maintenance, and her grandmother, Leerah Kramer, did the rib stitching on the company’s Piper Cubs. Yet, despite this rich pedigree, Muriel was the only member of her family never to pursue an aviation career. Rather, she became a biochemist, with degrees in biology and psychology, as well as teaching credentials and a strong research interest in neuropharmacology.

A med school dropout, Muriel was forced by illness to leave the LSU Medical Center in New Orleans in the middle of her studies. Despite this, thanks to the advent of the Internet, she managed to establish herself as an independent science consultant, educational and special needs advocate, and practitioner of the alternative healing arts. She often said that if she had been healthier, she would probably have ended up “just another asshole MD-PhD researcher working for Big Pharma.”

When I retired from a lengthy academic career in 2007, I combined my lifetime of flying with a longtime commitment to education, and founded AvSport LLC, the sport aviation training center on the Piper Memorial Airport in Lock Haven PA. Although she considered General Aviation primarily a convenient means of transportation between distant points, Muriel spent a good deal of time on the airport, making students and visitors feel comfortable and welcome. She also generously offered our guest room and a warm meal to any itinerant pilot stranded here by inclement weather or mechanical difficulties.

In December of 2021, Muriel was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. She had always been immunocompromised, ever since she had to drop out of med school. But she always toughed it out, always pushed forward, always found a way. This time, her medical needs exceeded her resilience. She spent months in a succession of hospitals and nursing homes, dying just blocks from the airport, at UPMC Lock Haven hospital, at 5:18 AM on 28 July 2023. I was sitting by her side, holding her hand, when Muriel breathed her last breaths.

I am grateful for the support I have received from my fellow pilots during this difficult time, including cards, emails, and social media posts from several of you, as well as a lovely arrangement of flowers that arrived for her memorial service, signed by the Flying Musicians Association.

Muriel.jpg
Muriel.jpg (70.2 KiB) Viewed 17326 times
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Re: In Memoriam: Muriel Hykes

Post by 3Dreaming »

Paul,

So sorry for your loss.

Tom
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

I was sitting by her side, holding her hand, when Muriel breathed her last breaths.

I can only imagine it must be very, very hard to have to face loosing someone who has been by your side since , well since forever .. but I hope when it is my time to go I would go the way you described, with my loved one holding my hand.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
JJay

Post by JJay »

So sorry for your loss.

Jeff
yabiah

Post by yabiah »

Paul,
So sorry for your loss.
Tim
StingSport N606N S-LSA / Retired Long-distance motorcyclist; IBA #558
drseti

Post by drseti »

Warmi wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:10 pm it must be very, very hard to have to face loosing someone who has been by your side since , well since forever.
Not quite forever, Warmi - only 30 years. (Oh, wait - on the scale of marriages, that is forever. It's longer than all of my previous relationships, combined.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Condolences Paul, to you and the family, on Muriel’s “Flying West”
designrs

Post by designrs »

Sincere condolences Dr. Paul. I remember Muriel’s and your warm hospitality when I was weathered in and doing maintence in Lock Haven. Thoughts and prayers will be with you & your family.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

Deepest sympathies on your loss.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Mikey B

Post by Mikey B »

My deepest condolences on your loss, Paul. I never met your wife (or you either, for that matter), but I was just reflecting to my wife last night how much I appreciate her support as I'm going through some health challenges currently. I'm sure you provided that support, and more, for Muriel, and I can only guess how much she appreciated it. I hope you may find peace in the aftermath of her passing, and as they say "may her memory be a blessing."