20 years of Flying

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

ibgarrett

Re: Begs Asking

Post by ibgarrett »

drseti wrote:
bryancobb wrote:Why does it take so much longer these days in the same planes, with the same experience requirements?
By restricting Sport Pilots to non-towered airports, one would think that instruction regarding airspace could now be eliminated. Quite the opposite is true. We need to give more ground instruction, at least, in how to avoid airspace. (This doesn't necessarily mean more flight instruction, but depending upon the locale, it may.)
Paul - I'm sure you meant this differently and I know you know, but I read this part of your statement to say that Sport Pilots are not allowed to fly into towered airports - which we all know is not entirely true. With the correct endorsements a Sport Pilot can fly into a towered airport. And a Sport Pilot Student can fly in and out of towered airports with their instructors and as long as they have the endorsement to do so (for solos and such).

Thanks - I feel better now. :)
Brian Garrett
[email protected]
drseti

Re: Begs Asking

Post by drseti »

ibgarrett wrote:Paul - I'm sure you meant this differently
Indeed I did, Brian. I've now corrected my post to read:
By initially restricting Sport Pilots to non-towered airports (until properly endorsed)...
Thanks for pointing out my misstatement.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
CBKERR

Post by CBKERR »

The airspace endorsement is one of the many reasons why I choose CSP to do my instruction. They are located within the 60 mile ring of the DC SFRA and the 30 mile ring is 3 miles off rnwy 29. As well as practicing at KESN which is class D. Also will be flying into KBWI which is class B.

Brian
NismoRR

Post by NismoRR »

Dang, I hate being just average :shock: but Paul's graph is right on for me, 47 years old, 15.5 hours to solo. This was out of a non towered field. Getting ready for the airspace endorsement next month.