Soloed today in a J3 Piper Cub

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Doss79

Soloed today in a J3 Piper Cub

Post by Doss79 »

15hrs to solo...started on Thanksgiving Day, lol. What a long time to get 15hrs, but it was worth it! Now on to the checkride...
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Congratulations!!! That is wonderful! You will always remember your first solo. You will always feel the excitement whenever you think about it. There is nothing in life that can compare to that experience.
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Congratulations Mr. PIC!

First solo is one of the most important moments in your life. You pull back on the stick, lift off, and realize the only guy who is going to get you back on the ground is YOU.

Bravo!
Tom
tech10002

Post by tech10002 »

Congrats on the solo. I'm pretty close myself if the weather here will ever let up enough to fly.

Did you find a place to rent a cub in San Antonio? My dad just lives a couple hours away, and I'd definitely drive over there to get a chance to fly a cub. That's something I always wanted to do.
Doss79

Post by Doss79 »

tech10002 wrote:Congrats on the solo. I'm pretty close myself if the weather here will ever let up enough to fly.

Did you find a place to rent a cub in San Antonio? My dad just lives a couple hours away, and I'd definitely drive over there to get a chance to fly a cub. That's something I always wanted to do.
Where does your dad live? Yes, there is a place that has a Cub (the only place I know of in the South Texas area!) for rent with a taildragger CFI in a small town just north of San Antonio (Boerne). Pretty expensive ..$120/hr (includes fuel, CFI). Here are some pics from my solo:

Any questions just ask!
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Great photos!
tech10002

Post by tech10002 »

He lives near Houston, so it's probably about 3 hours from you. I might give them a call next time I'm down to visit my dad. I'll probably be down in the next month or so.

If you don't mind, could you post the contact info for the FBO that rents the cub?
Doss79

Post by Doss79 »

There are probably other Cubs for rent and training near Houston. You can go to: www.j3-cub.com and they will help you find one.

The contact info for mine was:

http://5c1.net/
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

good job. How's the wind in Texas?
Doss79

Post by Doss79 »

Cub flyer wrote:good job. How's the wind in Texas?
Finally dying down. Had to cancel quite a bit of training due to the wind. Looks like it's going to be a great week this week!
tech10002

Post by tech10002 »

Thanks. I'll give them a call when I get down there. They're pretty reasonable at 95 bucks an hour dual.

I've looked all over the place and called quite a few places in Houston, and the LSAs/sport eligible aircraft are pretty thin there. There's a Tecnam on the way north side of town and an Ercoupe right next to my dad's house, and that's pretty much it. I don't mind the drive to San Antonio. It's a pretty cool city with a lot to do. My cousin's and I usually spend a couple days on the Riverwalk every few years. I can't remember too much about the last time, though. :)
Doss79

Post by Doss79 »

Tech,
I don't know if it's closer to you, but there's also Cub training in a small town named Terrell just East of Dallas/Forth Worth. I did some time there and can recommend the guy if you want his info. Very high time taildragger pilot with lots of experience and a nice guy to boot. The Cub is located on his ranch with a 2400ft grass strip and lodging in an old lodge.

If you already are set on coming to San Antonio/Boerne, let me know becuase I've already referred 2 guys there and it's about time I get a discount on my next flight
:wink:

How many hours you got? Have you soloed yet? Any taildragger experience? Maybe I'll go check out your landings :D
Bill

Post by Bill »

Great photos. Great plane. But most of all...

Great Accomplishment! Congratulations.
Doss79

Post by Doss79 »

Thanks, Bill! Ready for the checkride...this is taking forever (but enjoying every damn minute of it).
tech10002

Post by tech10002 »

San Antonio is probably 1.5 hours closer than Dallas. Plus, I HATE driving anywhere near Dallas or on I-45 period.

It will probably be a month or so before I'm down there, but I will definitely try to come fly the cub. I'll send you a PM when I know for sure so you can try to get your discount. :)

I have about 55 hours, but most are from 15-20 years ago when I was going for my private. Recently, I just have a few, but I seem to be catching on again quickly unless my instructor is just humoring me. LOL He said to expect to solo next week. I have zero taildragger time but always wanted to try one.