Where to rent a CTSW in Ohio?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

tech10002

Where to rent a CTSW in Ohio?

Post by tech10002 »

I heard there was a flight school somewhere in Ohio, (maybe Bucyrus or something???), that had CTSWs for rent, but I can't find it online. I'm going to be in an hour or so south of Columbus next week and thought I'd try out the CT if it was close enough. Anybody have any clue where I could find one for rent?
flyguy1

CTSW in Ohio

Post by flyguy1 »

Call Zone Aviation in Elyria, OH (440-322-3692). They have at least one CT for rent there
James Scheibner
Hillsdale Aero, Inc.
tech10002

Post by tech10002 »

That one is a little further than I'd like to drive just for a couple hours of dual. It's over 300 miles from where I'll be. Bucyrus is about 150. I could have sworn somebody did their training in a CT in Bucyrus on here.
flyguy1

CTSW in Ohio

Post by flyguy1 »

I think that Bucyrus switched to Gobosh awhile ago. Not sure if they still have a CT around for rent.
James Scheibner
Hillsdale Aero, Inc.
tech10002

Post by tech10002 »

Thanks for the info. I don't think I want to drive up that far to the place in Elria next week. I'll just wait till I'm in Florida week after next and see if I can find a place down there to get a little dual in a CT. I'm just curious how they fly.
scottj

CT demo

Post by scottj »

You mention coming to Florida. Are you coming to Sun-n-Fun this month? Flight Design will have a large contingent of airplanes and instructors to work with you.

Look me up...I would like to talk to you about the benefits of buying your own new, or used, CT for your flight training. There are some great income tax advantages to ownership.

Scott
Flight training begins on the ground, not in the air.℠
2011 FAASTeam Representative of the Year, Great Lakes Region
http://www.SticknRudder.com
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

I learned to fly at Bucyrus in the CTSW. Unfortunately that aircraft was destroyed in a landing accident at Delaware, Oh.a few months back when the student pilot trying to land it veered off the runway. The flight school at Bucyrus was discontinued due to a lack of interest, although there are a couple of CFIs available.

The problem is there is only one airplane available at this time, a CTLS, and it's down for damage due to a tail strike (cracks in the fuselage aft of the main gear). Ironically the damage may have been done when a student pilot was taking his checkride, which he passed. The CTLS is privately owned and available for instruction and rental.
scottj

Rent and flight train in a Flight Design CT

Post by scottj »

Sounds like someone had a bad day. I have never seen a CT have a tail strike.

I strongly encourage anyone renting a Light Sport Aircraft to get trained by a factory certified flight instructor. You can find a list of CT instructors here http://www.flightdesignusa.com/dealers.asp Flight Design Pilot Center instructors will work with you to make sure these types of accidents do not happen.

In Minnesota, LSA North and Stick-n-Rudder Flight Training are your official FDPC instructors. Call us today and Learn to Fly a CT...Faster. http://www.lsanorth.com/snr.htm

Scott Johnson
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

What exactly is a factory certified flight instructor? What does the factory do to make the instructor better?
FLA-CFI

Post by FLA-CFI »

tadel001 wrote:What exactly is a factory certified flight instructor? What does the factory do to make the instructor better?
I'm guessing model specific training. Each of these light sport aircraft have their own unique characteristics, as I'm sure you are aware of. We just got setup as a Remos pilot center and went through Remos training. I've noticed a difference in handling between the Remos, Flight Designs, Tecnams, and every other LSA I've flown.
Adam

CFI-SP, Light Sport Repairman - Maintenance, Rotax Cert.
Orlando, FL
scottj

Standardized training

Post by scottj »

As all good flight instructors know, a standardized training curriculum will turn out a common and uniform product. I.E. competent and safe pilots for a particular aircraft, and flying in general.

There are differences in flying any make and model. Cessna and Cirrus have led the way in the standard category with their factory training and standardization programs for instructors. Flight Design is taking the lead in the LSA category and developing Flight Design Pilot Centers which would be staffed by trained instructors for the CT.

At LSA North we have created teams for various aircraft, instructors who teach in the C172 and instructors who teach in the CT. We also have a dedicated Advanced Ground Instructor who does all of our ground schools and practical & oral exam preparation. http://www.lsanorth.com/events.htm

The goal is to create safe, competent pilots. This in turn will reduce accident rates and insurance rates for everyone. This will improve public perception of General Aviation and Light Sport Aviation, which will in turn then increase the number of people who want to learn to fly, which will then increase the number of airplanes sold, which will then create jobs and stimulate the global economy. Pilots have the ability to save the world.

:-)

Too many flight instructors who have never flown a Light Sport Aircraft are under the impression they can just jump in and sign off a student for a flight review in one session. We want instructors to teach from a common frame of reference and technique.

Flying an LSA is not difficult. It is just different.

Scott Johnson
Chief Instructor, LSA North ~ Stick-n-Rudder Flight Training
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

Interesting. We have 17 flight instructors and use only LSAs in our flight school. Personally, I have flown over 17 different models. All have different flight characteristics. However, are all simple aircraft that require patience and respect.

The key is not factory training. In fact, I have flown with more than 15 factory representatives and thought many did not know the aircraft very well. I am surprised at how many have not done cross-controlled stalls (uncoordinated stalls), turning stalls, etc. I am also surprised at the number of "representatives" that don't even know the weight of the aircraft they are demonstrating.

I think the key to the instructors is what is the instructor's motivation. Is it for the love of aviation or the desire to fly something bigger/faster/"better".

I agree, too many pilots get into an LSA and think that 1,000 hours in a Mooney, C-182, etc. makes them competent to fly an LSA. Then they are heavey on the stick and light on the rudder.

I would recommend finding an instructor that is teaching because he love to teach and fly. That instructor will more often than not appreciate the aircraft.

I think it is wise of CT to provide focus training for its flight schools. However, I think there are other schools that use different planes (Remos, Allegro, Tecnam, SportStar, SportCruiser, etc.) that will have good instructors that know the plane.

Finally, we receive a fair amount of students that have starting training elsewhere but didn't finish. I think the biggest reason is curriculum. Unfortunately, there is not one program (Gleim, King, ASA, etc.) that is good enough for SP training. We have reviewed every single training course out there (EVERY course and it took weeks) and have found that the best course is a combination of Rod Machado, Gleim, ASA, and a few other items. We ultimately needed to modify the actual training syllabus to meet the true training needs of an SP. Too much of the stuff out there was simplye PP modified to SP and that didn't work on the checkride. Passing the written test is one things, passing the practical is another. Make sure that you school/instructor isn't simply passing the knowledge part off to someone else but giving you the full training.

Our view is not the only way but just the way we have used from the beginning and it seems to work. I am sure there are other ways to skin the cat.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

The CTLS I was talking about had hit it's tail at least once before. Last summer a couple of guys rented the airplane and took it to Oshkosh. While they were practicing takeoffs and landings after being checked out they managed to drag the tail. I discovered it while doing a pre-flight a week or so later. The damage wasn't too bad and it didn't seem like it would take too much to repair it.
Bill

Post by Bill »

tadel001 wrote:......Our view is not the only way but just the way we have used from the beginning and it seems to work. I am sure there are other ways to skin the cat.
My cat wouldn't like to hear that. :roll:

More seriously, however, tadel001 is right. There are likely several different approaches to completing the tasks/training needed for the Sport Pilot checkride. I have a couple hours of training with in a Tecnam Sierra with one of their instructors. I have also met the manager there several times and have met a few of their students. The flight school Tim represents, http://www.ChesapeakeSportPilot.com, is top notch and has everything together. It is no wonder they are popular and very busy.

The only reason I did not continue there is because I bought my own airplane and based it at another airport. I only needed some "refresher" training and a BFR and was able to complete that locally. I returned to flying as a Private Pilot operating under Sport Pilot Rules. I have an Ercoupe, with photos at http://www.TakeoffsAreOptional.com.