1st SOLO

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

CBKERR

1st SOLO

Post by CBKERR »

What an awesome day today has turned out to be. I get to the airport, do my preflight, meet my CFI and we plan do stay in the pattern. We had talked about soloing today so I was a little nervous. My first landings were rough at beast then I settled in to the groove. Taxied off the runway and my CFI had me pull off park and shut down. She then told me she was confident in my abilities and it was up to me if I wanted to solo. I jumped at the opportunity. She endorsed my log book and student certificate and away I went. WOW the plane really jumps off the runway without a second person. I did two trips around the pattern and it was over.

I guess I am an AIRPLANE DRIVER !!! A day I will never forget

Happy landings,

Brian :D
ka7eej

Post by ka7eej »

CONGRATULATIONS.... ITS A BIG STEP... KEEP ON FLYING AND LEARNING!!!
Owner of N3081X (Cover Girl) A Beautiful Allegro 2000 as seen on the cover and inside of several magazines!!
David

Post by David »

Congratulations also!

You will always remember the day, sounds, weather, and everything else associated with this milestone.

Enjoy the rest of your experience as you get your ticket
drseti

Re: 1st SOLO

Post by drseti »

CBKERR wrote: I guess I am an AIRPLANE DRIVER !!!
I guess you are, Brian -- and well on your way to becoming a pilot. Keep up the good work!

Safe skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
SSDriver

Post by SSDriver »

Brian,
CONGRATS!! Kind of feels weird though doesn't it? In a really good way of course!.

Keep it up!
Drew
PP-ASEL
bryancobb

KON

Post by bryancobb »

KONGRATULATIONS!!!
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

A life-changing event.

Now the real work starts. Keep up the momentum and get your certificate. Don't be like me and piddle around for 3 years doing it.
CBKERR

Post by CBKERR »

SSDriver wrote:Brian,
CONGRATS!! Kind of feels weird though doesn't it? In a really good way of course!.
Yes it's still almost like a great dream only it really happened.

A life-changing event.

Now the real work starts. Keep up the momentum and get your certificate. Don't be like me and piddle around for 3 years doing it.

Yes it is. No worries my goal is to take my check ride by the end of November.

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement.

Here's a 12min video of my first trip around the pattern at W29. Ya just gotta love the view from this airport taking off runway 29. Sorry about the camera was set up a little crooked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgu56sM1 ... ata_player

Enjoy
NismoRR

Post by NismoRR »

Great work Brian! Congrats! Fantastic accomplishment.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Brian,
I have a standard recommendation for all my students who solo. Following the well-deserved congratulations, I suggest that everyone who has a spouse or life partner should now take him or her out for a celebratory dinner. That's where you get to express your appreciation. After all, without the support and encouragement of our partners, none of us would ever have achieved this milestone. (One should do the same after passing the checkride -- except, this time, you get to fly your partner out for a nice lunch somewhere).

Now, with the first solo behind you, would be a good time to take a brief break from flying. Spend a couple of weeks reviewing for your knowledge test, and then go knock that off. This way, your post-solo training won't be hindered by bookwork, and you'll have one less obstacle to worry about as you prepare for your checkride.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Paul is probably to modest to mention it, but it's sort of an optional tradition to give your instructor a small gift as well.
CBKERR

Post by CBKERR »

drseti wrote: Now, with the first solo behind you, would be a good time to take a brief break from flying. Spend a couple of weeks reviewing for your knowledge test, and then go knock that off. This way, your post-solo training won't be hindered by bookwork, and you'll have one less obstacle to worry about as you prepare for your checkride.
Dinner complete!!

I have taken the written and scored an 88%. What is acceptable as a small gift. When I pass my checkride I had planned to get a gift certificate to sportys pilot shop.

I'm flying at 3:30 tomorrow and my wife is going up with my CFI after for her first time in a light sport. Hope she enjoys it.

Brian
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

Navy tradition was to give your instructor a bottle of his favorite "beverage". I think the thought was that the instructor, after a long flying day of dealing with every kind of pilot error, could sit down in a lounge, open the bottle and say, "Let me tell you about this one student I had..."
Dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

deltafox wrote:Navy tradition was to give your instructor a bottle of his favorite "beverage".
That's funny - that was the Air Force tradition as well! :wink: My recent Canadian graduate gave me a bottle of his favorite beverage -- Molson's. (It was much appreciated!)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US