Best Books-resources for sport Pilot study

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

msalamon

Best Books-resources for sport Pilot study

Post by msalamon »

Anyone have any recommendations for the best books or study materials?

maybe this:

Sport Pilot Practical Test Standards for Airplane, Weight-Shift Control, Powered Parachute, and Flight Instructor: FAA-S-8081-29 and 31 (Practical Test Standards series

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Standar ... gy_b_img_y
FrankR

Re: Best Books-resources for sport Pilot study

Post by FrankR »

Stick and Rudder. Wolfgang Langwiesche.
Frank
Fayetteville, NC
drseti

Post by drseti »

Not to take business away from Amazon, but the PTS, Pilot's Handbook, AIM/FAR, and a bunch of other books are free to download from the FAA website.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
msalamon

Post by msalamon »

thanks guys-I just ordered Stick and rudder from my local library---also -interestingly enough-I just finished reading 'Fly by wire' a very interesting book about the airbus flight 1549 that landed in the hudson-written by william langewiesche-son of the stick and rudder author. anyway-I'll check the FAA site--I'm looking for some training materials specific to the sport pilot. The flight schools in my area offer fixed rates for sports pilot license that includes training materials--I'm thinking I can save a little $ by getting these myself. I already have Kings schools Private pilot complete set as well as Jeppensen--but they both seem a little outdated--no garmin 1000 in the cockpits-just steam gauges. Has anyone produced an update set of training dvds geared specifically to the sport pilot?

Thanks
drseti

Post by drseti »

msalamon wrote:. I already have Kings schools Private pilot complete set as well as Jeppensen--but they both seem a little outdated--no garmin 1000 in the cockpits-just steam gauges.
Don't discount the advantages of learning old-school steam gauges. When the glass panels fail (and that is when, not if), the backup round gauges are going to be all you're going to have to keep the shiny side up. In fact, most DPEs make a practice of failing the EFIS during unusual attitude recovery, to make sure the applicant can still revert to steam gauges.
Has anyone produced an update set of training dvds geared specifically to the sport pilot?
I don't know about videos, but our own Paul Hamilton has some great books directly aimed at SP. available from ASA. Also, Gleim has a complete SP kit for $120, that includes all books, curriculum, training record, supplies, and online test-prep practice software.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Don't discount the advantages of learning old-school steam gauges. When the glass panels fail (and that is when, not if), the backup round gauges are going to be all you're going to have to keep the shiny side up.
Paul -- you're assuming that all planes have analog backup which is becoming less the case (in LSA and Experimental world). I know of many LSA's that have two Skyviews, each with battery backups and no round gauges. I'd say this configuration provides adequate redundancy and backup.

So what does the DPE fail with two glass panels? :D
dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

dstclair wrote:Paul -- you're assuming that all planes have analog backup
I make no such assumption, Dave. In fact, that was one of my selection criteria when I chose the SportStar three years ago: it has a conventional round ASI and altimeter as backups to the dual Dynons. Not all LSAs do. Between those two gauges, the compass (which was standard), and a ball (which I added myself under an LoA), I have everything I need to teach basic attitude flying, and to keep the greasy side down in an emergency. In fact, the plane I started in (Aeronca Champ, 52 years ago) had those four instruments and nothing more. I guess dual Skyviews would give you similar redundancy, if both had separate backup batteries - but the round gauges are completely independent of electrical system (since the Champ had none), and thus not battery life limited.
So what does the DPE fail with two glass panels? :D
Excellent question for Paul H, our local resident DPE. I would guess, fail the panel on the pilot's side, to make sure the applicant can scan the other one.

To those who say teaching steam gauges is unnecessary, because everyone flies glass, I respond that learning to drive a stick shift is similarly outdated, because everyone drives an automatic. I still think everyone should know how to drive a stick - clutch skills make you a better driver.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
msalamon

Post by msalamon »

And stick shifts are so much more fun to drive-I'll never drive an automatic unless I have to--not to mention I never have to loan my wife the car since she cant drive stick!

I'm eager to check out the alpha trainer from Pipistrel at sebring--from what I understand the standard panel has large 3 1/8 'analog/digital steam gauge style instrumentation' (http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/aircraf ... ml?start=1)
instead of EFIS

not sure what this means really- are they digital gauges made to look like steam gauges?
Torque

Post by Torque »

I do not want to go off topic but since you guys already did I will add.

I am doing a complete panel upgrade in my little airplane. I too have no electric system so I am operating all gauges off a lipo 10,000 Mil amp.

All steam gauges are gone in favor of a Grands Rapid 2004 EIS that is oufitted with ASI, Rate of climb, carb temp, Out side temp, Manifold Pressure, oil pressure, oil temp, cht, egt, ALT.

In panel GPS .with Traffic alert System

Mode C Transponder with Encoder
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

I heard Belite run a side business selling their amazing electronic gauges that they developed for their ultralights. The whole panel weights a pound. A pound! Not as important in an LSA, but hey.