Instuctor interview

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Jim Hardin

Re: Instuctor interview

Post by Jim Hardin »

I'm with Dan on revoking CFI's for attitude :D

Now if we could just get the cost of hearing aids down! That clown comparing them to TV's really irks me.
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

drseti wrote:Who here agrees that flight instructors who constantly make excuses not to fly with you should have their CFI revoked? :mrgreen:
They at least need to take a long hard look at why they are instructing and flying in general. CFI/CFII has become a stepping stone to the airlines, in my opinion we need to encourage more people to try to make a career out of it, warning: that may include paying more or including benefits! I recently watched a YouTube video (save you eye rolling for a sec), I think it was Fly8MA, that looked at how Lufthansa trains pilots here in the US. They have full time CFI's they hire in the US and assign them 3 students, they are paid with a salary, have a benefits package and what looks like a great campus (gym, cafeteria, etc). I believe their base is 45K a year regardless of actual logged flight time.

I'm more worried about the CFI/CFII who pushes it too far, "...bad weather, poor TAF, who cares I need the hours to pay the bills it will be fine." That's a classic recipe for an accident. I find that I am on the cautious side, but I have no monetary or career implications that might weigh on my decision. I have no problem with a CFI who does not want to fly under the proper circumstances, the OP's example seems like a bogus answer from a CFI who has a bad attitude or misconceptions about Light Sport....
Ed
bryancobb

Post by bryancobb »

foresterpoole wrote:..That is one awesome helicopter bryancobb!...
Thank you so much sir for your kind words. I owned it during a time I made $20.00 per hour as a structural steel draftsman. Aviation can be done on pennies if you do it the right way. The guy who owns it today is just as passionate about the ship as I was. He posts maintenance questions to me on Facebook and puts videos of him flying on Youtube.

https://youtu.be/YKg7bdTXP0U
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
bryancobb

Re: Bam

Post by bryancobb »

Wm.Ince wrote:...
And by the way, that is quite the machine.
Isn’t there one at the US Army Aviation Museum, Ft. Rucker, Alabama?...
Thanks for the kind words. An yes...a YHO-3BR is in the museum at Rucker and gave me the idea for a "WARBIRD" paintjob.
The Army had 5 for testing in late 50's. The price for a NEW Brantly in 1961 was $19,999.

Got me several FREE tanks of gas at fly-ins.

When I was there in flight school in 1987, we had car-washes to raise money to build a new museum (The Current One) and have the dusty aircraft in storage buildings restored. The 2nd pic is in 1987. The third is after they finished.
Attachments
B2_pic005.jpg
B2_pic005.jpg (95.61 KiB) Viewed 9420 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (50.37 KiB) Viewed 9422 times
YHO-3BR small.jpg
YHO-3BR small.jpg (71.39 KiB) Viewed 9422 times
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
bryancobb

Post by bryancobb »

Jim Hardin wrote:I'm with Dan on revoking CFI's for attitude :D

Now if we could just get the cost of hearing aids down! That clown comparing them to TV's really irks me.
There was an old "crusty" CFI at the FBO. He didn't really even teach anymore but hung around because his wife was the lady behind
the counter. He was soooooo soft-spoken and nice. Everyone loved him and wanted to be like him.

Along came a potential student that was the son of a local lawyer and was somewhat retarded, about like Forest Gump. This CFI
watched as CFI-after-CFI refused to teach him to fly. The young 21 year old was broken. He had cut and split firewood for years
to pay to get his license.

Well, the old guy took him on as a student and had a special connection with him. The CFI had an old Ercoupe C and that's what he taught
him in. The young student absorbed everything and set it in concrete. Mr. Darnell sent him for his written and he passed with an 82. At about
50 hours logged, he sent him for his checkride and he passed FIRST TIME.

The kid wound up buying an older 172 and a Stearman. He could often be heard on the radio, so far away and not a factor for local traffic. When he heard a pilot in the pattern, he's say "Stearman 12345, 25 miles NE maneuvering at 2 thousand-five-hundred." Mr. Darnell had taught him - Never put yourself in a place to hit someone or be hit - ALWAYS announce your position."

Last I knew of him, he was approaching 1000 hours logged and has never scratched an airplane.

MORAL: We should all want a humble and kind attitude ...as Tim McGraw sings.
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]