Instuctor interview

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Atrosa

Instuctor interview

Post by Atrosa »

I called and spoke with a CFI to ask about sport pilot training. He really wasn't keen on the LSA idea. He said maybe if a sport pilot got 5 years under there belt they would be a competent pilot. I mentioned that i would provide the aircraft and pay for the CFI to get transition training. I mentioned that the ac im looking at had a BRS and he went on to say he doesn't like those and a true pilot should fly it to the ground. We really didnt hit it off which is a bummer becuase that flight school is so close to my house.

I guess this is why we call and talk to the CFI before we sign up. I think my new plan is to drive 30 minutes to another airport that teaches Sport Pilots. They even have a kappa kp-5 for rental for 120 wet. So perhaps it is better to gain some skills in something more training oriented then once I gain these skills buy a plane.
Warmi

Re: Instuctor interview

Post by Warmi »

Yeah, I tend to see this attitude with older Pilots/CFIs - unless you are flying a GA plane that they know and recognize , you are not a real pilot or whatever else they consider to be "real" ... BRS systems are for "pussies" etc ..etc ..
It sucks , but I guess the only option is to ignore them and look for people who care about flying and not about some kind of imaginary caste system withing the flying community.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
JJay

Post by JJay »

No idea about the area you're in but from my viewpoint a 30 minute drive is very close! Seems like the right thing to do.

Post by TimTaylor »

I don't think being an older pilot has anything to do with it. If someone has never flown an LSA and never been involved with Sport Pilot, they just don't get it.

A new student is a new student whether going for Sport Pilot or Private Pilot. I don't think it should or would take any longer to learn to fly an LSA than a standard certificated airplane.

I suggest you get a few hours with a good CFI in an LSA just to make sure flying is something you really want to pursue and you are suited for it (some are not). Once you do that, if you have the funds and inclination to become an aircraft owner, go for it. Learning in your own plane can have some advantages.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

JJay wrote:No idea about the area you're in but from my viewpoint a 30 minute drive is very close! Seems like the right thing to do.
Indeed , 30 minutes is nothing. That’s how far I drive to get to my airport where I keep my plane :-)

When I was learing to fly in Remos , before I bought my own plane , I drove about 45 minutes to an hour each way to KARR..
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I drive an hour to and from the airport where I rent a SkyCatcher. It's not a problem.
Retired from flying.
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Run, don’t walk, away from that so called CFI. Is he kidding with that 5 year crap?
drseti

Post by drseti »

TimTaylor wrote:I don't think being an older pilot has anything to do with it.
I concur. I am one of the oldest pilots on this site, a CP CFI CFII DPE with tons of experience in high-performance aircraft, and possibly the staunchest supporter of LSA/SP on the forum.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:I don't think being an older pilot has anything to do with it.
I concur. I am one of the oldest pilots on this site, a CP CFI CFII DPE with tons of experience in high-performance aircraft, and possibly the staunchest supporter of LSA/SP on the forum.
Paul,

In all seriousness, I cannot think of anyone who is a better advocate for general aviation and light sport flying.
You are a valuable resource to this community.
Thank you for everything you do towards that effort.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Is seems some people think you have to be for one and against the other, and can't embrace both. That's just not correct. Flying a fixed wing, powered aircraft is basically the same regardless of the certificate in your pocket. At least for daytime VFR flight, it makes little difference if you're a Private Pilot or Sport Pilot. There is no reason to think a new Private Pilot with 45 hours would be more skilled than a Sport Pilot with 45 hours.
Retired from flying.
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

JJay wrote:No idea about the area you're in but from my viewpoint a 30 minute drive is very close! Seems like the right thing to do.
15 minutes from kmmk. 30 minutes from ksnc .
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

That CFI is defiantly a snob slob :D

LSA's or even Ultralights should be welcomed by ALL pilots and airports! We are all pilots regardless of our Gross Weight!
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I don't think KATL should allow ultralights.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

TimTaylor wrote:I don't think KATL should allow ultralights.
Not even if they're ADS-B Out compliant? ;)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

drseti wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:I don't think KATL should allow ultralights.
Not even if they're ADS-B Out compliant? ;)
Not even.
Retired from flying.