Instuctor interview

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Atrosa

Re: Instuctor interview

Post by Atrosa »

Wm.Ince wrote:
drseti wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:I don't think being an older pilot has anything to do with it.
I concur. I am one of the oldest pilots on this site, a CP CFI CFII DPE with tons of experience in high-performance aircraft, and possibly the staunchest supporter of LSA/SP on the forum.
Paul,

In all seriousness, I cannot think of anyone who is a better advocate for general aviation and light sport flying.
You are a valuable resource to this community.
Thank you for everything you do towards that effort.

Amen.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Thanks for the kind words, guys. A prof. couldn't ask for a better bunch of students.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
bryancobb

Post by bryancobb »

TimTaylor wrote:I don't think KATL should allow ultralights.
LOL! I agree. 15 or 20 years ago, there was a fairly large "Big-Boyz-Toys" event at McCollum in Kennesaw. We (ultralight folks) arranged for a long single-file flyover down the runway on our way in to land. It was like MOLASSES !!! The whole event was basically on hold for an hour as we flew by, showcasing our 40 or 50 super-duper airplanes.

We never tried that again. A hundred thousand spectators don't care for a 1 hour intermission in the middle of an exciting air-show.
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

TimTaylor wrote:I don't think being an older pilot has anything to do with it.
Also agree.

Many older pilots learned in relatively simple planes, and for some of them the possible simplicity of Light Sport harkens back to the simple joy of flying simple machines. Count me as one.

I italicized “possible” above due to the fact that “simple” and “Light Sport” are not linked in the way some had hoped. There’s nothing wrong with trying to turn a Light Sport into a mini-Cirrus, with 3 glass screens and 3-axis autopilots and whatever floats your boat. But for me, at least, the appeal of Light Sport lies elsewhere.

I also agree that the instructor in question should be dropped from consideration post haste. You need an instructor with knowledge of Light Sport rules and Limitations, or at least with enough of an open mind to educate himself on such matters. And the physics and history of airframe parachutes, before condemning them out of hand.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

I agree on the simplicity Eddie!

The younger as well as the older who find themselves having to step down are the biggest group of Glass cockpit supporters! Whereas I was more impressed with the instrument panel of a Pipistrel Alpha that came in for service. I had to think a second to be sure it had enough to meet 91.205 b requirements :D
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

My ideal LSA would be a SkyCatcher with a single Garmin G300 screen. I don't need dual screens or autopilot. My iPad Mini 4 running iFly GPS is far superior to the Garmin G300 navigation running on a second screen. I love the simplicity and somewhat sparse interior.
Retired from flying.
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Another septuagenarian vote for simplicity here!
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Scooper wrote:Another septuagenarian vote for simplicity here!
Hey! Don't rush me! I still have 7 months left as a sexagenarian!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

FastEddieB wrote:
Trust me, kid - in another seven months, you'll no longer be a sexy genarian! ;)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

drseti wrote:
FastEddieB wrote:
Trust me, kid - in another seven months, you'll no longer be a sexy genarian! ;)
:lol: ROFLMAO
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

So just a quick update. There is a CFI (Mike) who willingly teaches sport pilots at KSNC with a kappa kp5 for rent for 120 wet. The kicker is that the rates for tiedowns and hangers are cheaper than the other airport. Tiedowns start at only $65 per month. $130 for covered. $200 for shared hanger and $285 for pivate hangers.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

When do you start?
Retired from flying.
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

TimTaylor wrote:When do you start?
I'm in my crazy season at work. I file my financial statements with the SEC in April. I will wait for possible inquiries because those can get very detailed. I'm thinking May. I will have the written done by then as well. Even if I never become a pilot, which I'm going to, I will sit and pass that exam. I sorta like the challenge of studying something I'm interested and testing myself.

I hope to get my check ride by Sept and by a plane shortly after or perhaps before. I'm really waiting to see what the FAA decides for both the ESLA rule and the LSA weight, speed, limitations.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

My financial statements are done. It's a 1040 form on TurboTax. I'm just waiting for form 8606 which is available tomorrow to report a couple Roth conversions. Retirement is great.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Atrosa wrote: I'm really waiting to see what the FAA decides for both the ESLA rule and the LSA weight, speed, limitations.
If you're waiting for FAA action, expect to be waiting a long time!
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US