Cross Country requirement

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

motorman1974

Cross Country requirement

Post by motorman1974 »

So I am familiar with the cross country requirement, my question is.....for the practical test, do we have to file a flight plan, contact FSS to open flight plan, etc??? Or is it just pilotage and dead reckoning for navigation??
I am a private pilot student transitioning my hours to a SPL. I did one solo cross country before transitioning. Of course, I filed the flight plan, FSS, Navigated via VOR’s. Just noticed for a Sport Pilot there is no training on VOR’s so I’m assuming all we need to do for navigating cross country is Pilotage and dead reckoning.
Getting ready to take my practical test soon!!!!!
Warmi

Re: Cross Country requirement

Post by Warmi »

Probably depends on the particular DPE.

In my case he just told me , forget the plan or paper just fly the way you would be flying if I wasn't here with you .. so I did , using my GPS etc ...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
motorman1974

Post by motorman1974 »

That would be awesome if he did do that. Honestly, probably 90% of pilots use a gps or equivalent anyway. Though i do understand the need to know the “old fashion” way. Lol
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

When I took my ride with the DPE, I didn't file anything, just made the flight plan and had it charted out all on paper. I did bring my Ipad with FlyQ EFB installed and updated with my flight plan on it as well.

Not that it mattered as we made it to my first or second check point and he said something along the line of your having issue or weather, where is the nearest airport and can we make it with the amount of fuel on board. Then we did maneuvers and went back to the airport for landings.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
drseti

Post by drseti »

Your DPE will only examine you on what's in the Sport Pilot Practical Test Standards. The PTS includes a listing of Special Emphasis areas that must be included. He or she will also prepare, in advance of the checkride, a practical test plan unique to your strengths and weaknesses. Since the DPE will have seen your Knowledge Test results beforehand, you can expect to be examined on subject areas in which you missed questions. So, the weaker you were on XC navigation and flight planning, the deeper the DPE can be expected to dig on your practical.

You can get some hints from my DPE website at:

Http://SportPilotExaminer.us
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
bryancobb

Post by bryancobb »

Just go in with confidence. Have a cross country planned very well, using your method you used on your Private Pilot one you already did.
Show knowledge of knowing your fuel consumption during climb, cruise, and descent and have a plan for how long you will spend in each. Don't forget you'll need to land with a 30 min. reserve. Base your overall consumption on those.

Show knowledge of takeoff and landing runway length needs. Plan on using your GPS, cross-checked with Pilotage/Dead-Reckoning and Sectional marked with your course line and visual checkpoints. Draw a corridor 2.5 NM each side of your C/L and circle all tall obstacles or high terrain that falls in the 5 MI corridor. Complete an FAA 7233-1 (Flt Plan) and put it on your clipboard with your folded sectional. Fold it so your whole course is visible if possible.

An exceptional student will get the coord's of their checkpoints off the sectional and store them in your GPS as waypoints. Then your Pilotage/Dead-Reckoning Flight Log should EXACTLY COINCIDE with your marked sectional and the GPS moving map.

IF YOU COME IN WITH THAT PRE-DONE, it will be unlikely a Sport DPE will ask you to plan another. If they do, just duplicate the process on the new assignment. Sometimes a DPE will deliberately assign you a CC that will penetrate a Prohibited Area or active TFR to see if you are sharp enough to detect it and not let it happen. Sometimes they will assign you a course that requires both sides of the sectional to see if you have enough common sense to figure out how to plot a straight line that crosses the edge while keeping the correct Mag Course.

If you come in with all this, there will be no doubt you meet the PTS for all non-flying tasks related to CC. To demonstrate you have the flight skills, just be confident, takeoff on the planned CC with a sure-footed attitude. Punch your stopwatch and record time on your Flight Log as you start your roll.

Don't be in a hurry. You have 10 minutes before you reach your 1st checkpoint. You can't reach FSS until you have some altitude. Once established in a stable climb with some altitude, or even after on course at cruise altitude, call __122.25, 122.3, 122.35, 122.45, 122.55, 122.6, 122.65, or 123.65___ Radio and activate your Flight Plan by reading ONLY THE INFORMATION YOU WROTE on the 7233-1 to them, in numerical order. They will talk in plain English conversation if you desire but exceptional students will just rattle the info off like a machine gun and the FSS people WILL get it. Adjust your activation time to when you started your roll a few minutes ago.

HINT #1: Very few checkride cross-countries are completed. Typically the examiner has you takeoff, go to your first checkpoint about 10 miles away, and divert SOMEWHERE as they are attempting to distract you with something like an open window or dropped keys. For that reason, know approximate direction and distance to the nearest airport from checkpoint #1. Be prepared to turn to that heading and estimate arrival time without the GPS. He may turn it off.
When it comes to a distraction, there are two kinds: Those that matter/and those that don't. If his distraction don't matter - tune it out. If it does...ask him if he will fly a constant altitude and heading for you while you handle the distraction. Transfer the controls properly with verification.

Hint #2: In light of hint #1, when you activate your flight plan after takeoff, tune the correct freq'. Pretend to make the radio call but do not key the mike. Play the role of FSS Attendant and YOU. Answer yourself. This will keep you from forgetting to cancel it after landing while demonstrating your sure-footedness in the whole process to the DPE.

Here's an example: "Macon Radio November Five Zero Zero Wiskey Wiskey" when They acknowledge, say "Activate Flight plan, VFR, November Five Zero Zero Wiskey Wiskey, Experimental Helicopter, Slash X-Ray, Eight Zero, Kilo Victor Papa Charlie, One Zero Zero Zero Zulu, One Zero One Two Zulu, 35 , Kilo Victor Papa Charlie - Direct - Kilo Romeo Mike Golf, Zero Zero Two Five, Bryan Cobb 168 Simpson Circle NE, Cartersville GA Seven Seven Zero- Six Eight Seven- Zero One Four Four, Kilo Victor Papa Charlie, Two, White Black, Kilo Romeo Mike Golf."

I promise you, if you practice this process with your CFI on every CC flight y'all go on, and practice it on your solo ones too, you will be confident doing it on your checkride and your DPE will be blown-away. It will be obvious to them that you are well versed in the knowledge and aeronautical ability for the DPE's requirements pertaining to Cross Country Planning, Cross Country Flight, Electronic Navigation, Navigation by Pilotage and Dead Reckoning, Dealing with Cockpit Distractions, On-The-Fly Diversions Even When Electronic Nav Devices' Batteries Die.

Just Sayin :)
Last edited by bryancobb on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
motorman1974

Post by motorman1974 »

Now THAT’S the kind of answer I like to read. Lots of good info. Thanks !!!!!!
drseti

Post by drseti »

bryancobb wrote: say "Activate Flight plan, VFR, November Five Zero Zero Wiskey Wiskey, Experimental Helicopter, Slash X-Ray, Eight Zero, Kilo Victor Papa Charlie, One Zero Zero Zero Zulu, One Zero One Two Zulu, 35 , Kilo Victor Papa Charlie - Direct - Kilo Romeo Mike Golf, Zero Zero Two Five, Bryan Cobb 168 Simpson Circle NE, Cartersville GA Seven Seven Zero- Six Eight Seven- Zero One Four Four, Kilo Victor Papa Charlie, Two, White Black, Kilo Romeo Mike Golf."
I respectfully disagree. Since you're just activating a flight plan that's presumably already been filed, I see no reason to read the whole bloody flight plan (that just clutters up the simulated frequency). Better to simply say "five zero zero whiskey whiskey, activate VFR flight plan, Victor Papa Charlie to Romeo Mike Golf."
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
bryancobb

Post by bryancobb »

drseti wrote:
bryancobb wrote: say "Activate Flight plan, VFR, November Five Zero Zero Wiskey Wiskey, Experimental Helicopter, Slash X-Ray, Eight Zero, Kilo Victor Papa Charlie, One Zero Zero Zero Zulu, One Zero One Two Zulu, 35 , Kilo Victor Papa Charlie - Direct - Kilo Romeo Mike Golf, Zero Zero Two Five, Bryan Cobb 168 Simpson Circle NE, Cartersville GA Seven Seven Zero- Six Eight Seven- Zero One Four Four, Kilo Victor Papa Charlie, Two, White Black, Kilo Romeo Mike Golf."
I respectfully disagree. Since you're just activating a flight plan that's presumably already been filed, I see no reason to read the whole bloody flight plan (that just clutters up the simulated frequency). Better to simply say "five zero zero whiskey whiskey, activate VFR flight plan, Victor Papa Charlie to Romeo Mike Golf."
You are 100% correct. In my scenario, I'm introducing the student to the "filing in flight" method. If the flight plan was filed by phone or electronically before takeoff, all that is needed is to ask FSS to activate it by cell phone during "Before Takeoff Checks," or after takeoff as soon as you are high enough. I just think my method provides one option and gets them comfortable with the filing in flight process. It takes 30 seconds and builds connections between students and their numerous resources.

You are right though.

Q: If you were giving a Checkride and the examinee did that...and you asked them "Why did you say all that?, and they replied "Oh, I just forgot to do it on the ground." What would you say or think about their prowess?

If a student had never flied in flight, and they forgot to do it before they took off, all they'd know to do is say to themselves "Oh shit! I forgot to file my flight plan."
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

bryancobb wrote: If a student had never flied in flight, and they forgot to do it before they took off, all they'd know to do is say to themselves "Oh shit! I forgot to file my flight plan."
Which, I'm sure you'll agree, provides the CFI with a very teachable moment.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
bryancobb

Post by bryancobb »

drseti wrote:...Which, I'm sure you'll agree, provides the CFI with a very teachable moment.
Right again sir. I was putting you in the DPE role though...who is supposedly prohibited from teaching.
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

bryancobb wrote:I was putting you in the DPE role though...who is supposedly prohibited from teaching.
Yep, I got that. :)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

I'll through in my 2 cents. The airport I was told to do a flight plan to was on the back of the sectional. I found a handy Youtube video on how to do that(basically there is a small overlap of the front and back of the sectional for just such occasions). I did not file a flight plan nor did he ask any questions about doing so. Shortly after establishing my course(I was using a GPS) he told me to divert to a specific airport and turn off the GPS. He asked in what direction would I fly and how far it was to the destination. I'm on Long island and he asked me to divert to Groton, CT. Looking at the sectional I saw it was near Westerly in RI where I had flown for my dual/solo x-country so I basically followed the same route along the Northshore of LI to avoid a long over water flight. And knowing how far it was to Westerly I was able to accurately estimate the distance(although he showed me a more precise and easy way to do it off the sectional). So I suppose when you are planning your checkride I would ask the examiner if he wants you to file a flight plan, etc.
bryancobb

Post by bryancobb »

rcpilot wrote:I'll through in my 2 cents. The airport I was told to do a flight plan to was on the back of the sectional. I found a handy Youtube video on how to do that(basically there is a small overlap of the front and back of the sectional for just such occasions). I did not file a flight plan nor did he ask any questions about doing so. Shortly after establishing my course(I was using a GPS) he told me to divert to a specific airport and turn off the GPS. He asked in what direction would I fly and how far it was to the destination. I'm on Long island and he asked me to divert to Groton, CT. Looking at the sectional I saw it was near Westerly in RI where I had flown for my dual/solo x-country so I basically followed the same route along the Northshore of LI to avoid a long over water flight. And knowing how far it was to Westerly I was able to accurately estimate the distance(although he showed me a more precise and easy way to do it off the sectional). So I suppose when you are planning your checkride I would ask the examiner if he wants you to file a flight plan, etc.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]