Big Guys and LSA training??????

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

Re: Big Guys and LSA training??????

Post by FastEddieB »

Good luck in your search for an LSA that is a good fit for big guys. Not meant facetiously.

My advice would be to work on losing some weight while you conduct your search - as the search continued the range of suitable aircraft would incrementally be expanding. Not to mention the health and/or longevity benefits.

I would personally advise against any quick weight loss scheme. A fine tuning of calories in vs calories out can easily result in the loss of a pound a week with no major diet or lifestyle changes. This would mean a year from now you’d be at 220 lbs, and a far wider range of aircraft would be suitable for training.

I am not a nutritionist nor a dietician. I did, however, get training in diet and nutrition as regards weight loss as a part of getting certified as a personal trainer in the 1990’s. So there’s that.

Again, best of luck in your aviation endeavors, and with the right motivation you will find a path to a pilot’s license.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

CICO (calories in / calories out), as Ed points requires no life style change but you will have to deal with hunger and will likely eventually regain what you lose.

I took another approach and became a carnivore (cured all my health problems) and I went from 220lbs to 157lbs with no hunger or effort and kept it off for years now.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

CharlieTango wrote:I took another approach and became a carnivore (cured all my health problems) and I went from 220lbs to 157lbs with no hunger or effort and kept it off for years now.
Ed,

Did you follow a text of sorts or a structured program?
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
RTK

Post by RTK »

Good luck, LIttleJoe. I’m a big guy too, and did the same as you’re doing. I lost the 20 pounds to be able to fly with a good sized instructor and was able to get my Sport Pilot certificate, so it can be done. I also did the ground school first and passed. I will say that it all makes more sense if you learn and experience things together, but your instructors will make sure you remember the materials you learned during your ground school training.

Looking forward to reading about your progress!