Unsupervised Solo Practice

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

JJ Campbell

Unsupervised Solo Practice

Post by JJ Campbell »

I just received my endorsement for Solo landings and takeoffs at another airport within 25 NM - 61.93(b)(1) :mrgreen:

My CFI told me to practice my maneuvers. I'd like to put my time to the best use and am thinking that I should write myself a lesson plan before each flight and start a journal to document what I worked on and how well or poorly I performed the maneuvers in terms of the PTS.

I'd love suggestions from the group!
jj
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
TimTaylor

Re: Unsupervised Solo Practice

Post by TimTaylor »

That might be a good idea if it helps you remember what you need to work on. Personally, I would just log the maneuvers I worked on in my log book.
Retired from flying.
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

TimTaylor wrote:That might be a good idea if it helps you remember what you need to work on. Personally, I would just log the maneuvers I worked on in my log book.
I second this, good advise...
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Just remember, your logbook could become evidence in court if there is ever an infraction or lawsuit. Be careful what you write in there. For instance, I wouldn't write such as "I really suck at landings," etc.
Retired from flying.
akroguy

Post by akroguy »

S turns across a road.
Turns around a point...learn wind compensation and altitude control
climbs/descents to defined altitudes and headings
slow flight, flaps/no flaps, holding altitude keeping ball centered, recognize power requirements for these trimmed conditions
Pattern entries..crisp and at altitude, trim the airplane so you're not fighting it down final. CENTERLINE control...center the stripe between the mains.
Go around practice, climb power/positive rate, work flaps up gradually, maintaining runway alignment all the way.

Just a few that I work on when I'm out knocking off the rust.
2006 Evektor Sportstar SE
E98 Los Lunas, NM