Average cost for sport pilot certification

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Mal K9

Average cost for sport pilot certification

Post by Mal K9 »

Curious what the cost varies throughout the regions?
nub_pilot

Re: Average cost for sport pilot certification

Post by nub_pilot »

northeast looks like the going cost is around $5k, but will highly depend on how many hours you sill need to finish and be proficient. The ground school selection will make a difference too as will the amount of equipment you guy for the training (headset, computer, charts, and such).
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Someone who knows will respond, but I'm not sure it varies by region as much as it varies based on how many hours it takes a person. While the minimum is 20 hours, it takes most people more than that. I suppose it might take one person 25 to 30 hours and another person 55 to 60 hours and anything in between.
Retired from flying.
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

I have been advised to budget $6000 USD to get the cert. So far I've been able to save up $134.93. One should also be ready to expend $500-$1000 in discretionary monies per month once certified just to be able to rent a plane for an hour or two a week and maintain liability insurance.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Budget $10k and hope it's less. It always costs more than you think.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

chicagorandy wrote:I have been advised to budget $6000 USD to get the cert. So far I've been able to save up $134.93. One should also be ready to expend $500-$1000 in discretionary monies per month once certified just to be able to rent a plane for an hour or two a week and maintain liability insurance.
Randy, I will donate $500 toward your Sport Pilot certificate if you can get 11 other people here to do the same and if you would be so inclined.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

As a reference point: my flight school's Sport Pilot curriculum calls for a total of 24 lessons spread over two academic quarters (12 weeks), which includes 32 flight hours, 40 hours of prebriefs, ground instruction, and debriefs, all aircraft rental, fuel, instructor fees, books, supplies, and taxes, for a flat rate tuition of $7000. Note that our tuition does not include the FAA knowledge and practical test fees, renter insurance, or physical exam fees for those who choose to get a medical. Not all students complete within the scheduled hours or number of lessons, so actual individual costs can vary widely. YMMV.

(Note that my school makes no claims as to being the cheapest option out there, but we do crank out very safe and competent pilots, who generally go on to become satisfied aircraft owners.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

TimTaylor wrote:
chicagorandy wrote:I have been advised to budget $6000 USD to get the cert. So far I've been able to save up $134.93. One should also be ready to expend $500-$1000 in discretionary monies per month once certified just to be able to rent a plane for an hour or two a week and maintain liability insurance.
Randy, I will donate $500 toward your Sport Pilot certificate if you can get 11 other people here to do the same and if you would be so inclined.

Randy, well, no $500 from me but if you are willing to come down to Bult Field ( about 30 minutes south from Orland Park ) we can go flying - my right seat is empty 90% of time anyway :-)
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

I can't accept $$ contributions for my frivolities. But I'll keep the flying invite in mind. Right now I am 100% focused on Oshkosh Airventure. I am a volunteer tram conductor - the guy with the mike - for 9 days starting this Saturday thru Sunday the 28th.

If anyone is up there for the event, look for Wilford Brimley with a Randy nametag each afternoon being dragged around by a John Deere and say hi.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I figured you would say that. I hope some day you can see a way to make it happen. Have fun at Oshkosh.
Retired from flying.
Type47

Post by Type47 »

Randy, well, no $500 from me but if you are willing to come down to Bult Field ( about 30 minutes south from Orland Park ) we can go flying - my right seat is empty 90% of time anyway :-)
This right here.
If you go fly around with someone and observe, you will learn a huge amount.
Pilots like me fly around constantly and love company.
I like to get riders to do some of the radio work.
If the passenger is interested, I do a running commentary on what I am doing and why.
You could shave a lot of hours off instruction if you already know airspace, pattern procedures, radio work, airspeeds, fuel management, coordinated flight, avionics.
I am not a cfi, so it doesn’t count as “hours”.
But knowledge is knowledge.
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….