Student taking first lesson lands 152 after CFI passes out

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

fatsportpilot

Re: Student taking first lesson lands 152 after CFI passes out

Post by fatsportpilot »

3Dreaming wrote:
MrMorden wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
I've simulated passing out as an simulated emergency.
Hopefully you told the student you were doing so and didn't just slump over!
Nope, I didn't tell them. I might say I'm not feeling so good and that we should head for the closest airport before I slump. It is a good learning experience so they know that they don't have to go out and fly the whole pattern in an emergency.

I only normally do this in prep for the checkride, so they understand the examiner can give them any type of emergency.
I think that's very dangerous.

If my instructor ever did that, the first thing I'd do would be to call mayday or even take out my phone and call 911 to ensure prompt medical attention. I might even do more aggressive maneuvers to get on the ground more quickly, whether a runway or road so I could administer CPR. I would not appreciate it if, for "teaching" purposes, someone made me put my own life at risk because I genuinely thought that doing a go-around for safety reasons or slowing down to do a nice slow full-flap landing could mean the death of a person in my aircraft.
3Dreaming

Re: Student taking first lesson lands 152 after CFI passes out

Post by 3Dreaming »

fatsportpilot wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
MrMorden wrote:
Hopefully you told the student you were doing so and didn't just slump over!
Nope, I didn't tell them. I might say I'm not feeling so good and that we should head for the closest airport before I slump. It is a good learning experience so they know that they don't have to go out and fly the whole pattern in an emergency.

I only normally do this in prep for the checkride, so they understand the examiner can give them any type of emergency.
I think that's very dangerous.

If my instructor ever did that, the first thing I'd do would be to call mayday or even take out my phone and call 911 to ensure prompt medical attention. I might even do more aggressive maneuvers to get on the ground more quickly, whether a runway or road so I could administer CPR. I would not appreciate it if, for "teaching" purposes, someone made me put my own life at risk because I genuinely thought that doing a go-around for safety reasons or slowing down to do a nice slow full-flap landing could mean the death of a person in my aircraft.
Just because I simulate a medical emergency, doesn't mean I close my eyes completely and quit being an instructor. I would intervene before I would allow the student to do anything stupid.