Sport pilot hood training

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

Re: Sport pilot hood training

Post by TimTaylor »

That sounds problematic. Reminds me of Bernath.
Retired from flying.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Everything is on the SkyView screen. No altimeter or airspeed dial type back up instruments. Altimeter, airspeed and rate of climb come off pitot static system displayed on screen.
It all works great!
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

The Skyview manual (Table 1) describes which inputs and sensors are used within the ADAHRS module to generate the different displayed instruments. It clearly shows the aircraft pitot system is used for airspeed, AoA, turn rate, attitude, TAS, winds, and synthetic vision. It shows the aircraft static system is used for altitude, airspeed, turn rate, heading, attitude, density altitude, TAS, winds, flight path marker, and synthetic vision.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Nomore767 wrote:Everything is on the SkyView screen. No altimeter or airspeed dial type back up instruments. Altimeter, airspeed and rate of climb come off pitot static system displayed on screen.
It all works great!
Ah.. I misunderstood your earlier post; I thought you meant everything was GPS derived and the Skyview didn't need no stinking pitot-static system. :wink:
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
chumash

Post by chumash »

Thanks again for the response. No Lear’s or twins just yet, maybe later. :) Right now just doing what I can to be safe in this LSA. But a jet does sound fun....
chumash

Post by chumash »

Also doing homework on the different panels in the planes, 2 have Garmin and the other MGL. A bit of difference between the two.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Nomore767 wrote:Everything is on the SkyView screen. No altimeter or airspeed dial type back up instruments. Altimeter, airspeed and rate of climb come off pitot static system displayed on screen.
It all works great!
So you do have a pitot static tube and are reading airspeed, not GPS groundspeed. That's good. The Skycatcher is the same. The Remos I fly has both airspeed displays via glass panel and traditional airspeed gauge. I like looking at the traditional gauge during landing. It seems easier to see to me.
Retired from flying.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Scooper wrote: Ah.. I misunderstood your earlier post...
No, you didn’t misunderstand. He really said “...I have no pitot static instruments in my plane.”

Glad that’s cleared up - I was quite sure they were required equipment.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Sorry I meant no traditional round dial pitot static driven instruments. Although some LSA models do add the traditional round disks as backups Van’s didn’t choose this for my RV-12.
On SkyView you can select a display of the traditional six pack instruments if that’s your preferred option.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Nomore767 wrote:Sorry I meant no traditional round dial pitot static driven instruments. Although some LSA models do add the traditional round disks as backups Van’s didn’t choose this for my RV-12.
On SkyView you can select a display of the traditional six pack instruments if that’s your preferred option.
Regardless of how it came out, most of us knew exactly what you meant. No worries.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator