Sport pilot hood training

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

chumash

Sport pilot hood training

Post by chumash »

Hello,

I am getting closer to finishing up my sport pilot training, hopefully in the next 4-6 weeks. My question is if it is ok to go up with a cfi to do hood training ? I would like to have the training for safety sake. While I don’t plan on VMC into IMC, if it does happen, I don’t want that to be my first time relying on gauges. Is this even legal to do as a sport pilot? Thanks for the info.
TimTaylor

Re: Sport pilot hood training

Post by TimTaylor »

You should have had this training before your first solo cross-country if you're flying an LSA with VH > 87 knots.

From 61.93

(12) Control and maneuvering solely by reference to flight instruments, including straight and level flight, turns, descents, climbs, use of radio aids, and ATC directives. For student pilots seeking a sport pilot certificate, the provisions of this paragraph only apply when receiving training for cross-country flight in an airplane that has a VH greater than 87 knots CAS.
Retired from flying.
JJ Campbell

Post by JJ Campbell »

What Tim said plus my CFI logged 1 hour of Simulated Instrument time in my log book which will show up in my 8710 when submitted.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

chumash wrote:Hello,

I am getting closer to finishing up my sport pilot training, hopefully in the next 4-6 weeks. My question is if it is ok to go up with a cfi to do hood training ? I would like to have the training for safety sake. While I don’t plan on VMC into IMC, if it does happen, I don’t want that to be my first time relying on gauges. Is this even legal to do as a sport pilot? Thanks for the info.
Regardless of regulations .. do whatever you think will make you a better pilot - hood training, go flying at night with your CFI to familiarize yourself with night flying ... I have done all of that , it can never hurt to be know more.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
drseti

Post by drseti »

JJ Campbell wrote:my CFI logged 1 hour of Simulated Instrument time in my log book which will show up in my 8710 when submitted.
Excellent, JJ! From the DPE's perspective:
When someone schedules a Sport Pilot checkride with me, I look at the IACRA application beforehand. If the aircraft has a Vh > 87 knots, and I don't see any instrument instruction listed on the experience matrix, I have to kick the 8710 back to the applicant to rectify that oversight. The FARs don't specify any particular number of hours of hood work, but there has to be something shown. This is touched upon in my webinar "Adventures in Examining," available at:
http://avsport.org/webinars/videos/dpe.mp4
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
chumash

Post by chumash »

Thanks for the replies. I will ensure I get the training before going further. To satisfy the regs, but also for the experience and safety aspect. Good idea about night flying as well. I have always thought that a Sport pilot was limited to training on what the sport rating is allowed to do. I am truly enjoying the process of learning as much as I can and seeing forward progress with my flying. I want to become as proficient and safe as possible and see that there is always something to learn in this endeavor.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

A student pilot in dual training is only limited by his CFI credentials and limitations of the aircraft. You could go get dual training in a Lear Jet if you want to.
Retired from flying.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

TimTaylor wrote:A student pilot in dual training is only limited by his CFI credentials and limitations of the aircraft. You could go get dual training in a Lear Jet if you want to.
Unless the LearJet required two licensed pilots, IDK.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

TimTaylor wrote: Unless the LearJet required two licensed pilots, IDK.
I believe any aircraft designated Heavy (12,500 max gross or greater) requires a crew of 2. The Lear 23 was certified at 12,500 exactly, and the Lear 24 was bumped up to 13,500. So no, it would appear they are not single-pilot aircraft.

FWIW, when the EAA got the experimental airworthiness certificate for its restored Ford AT5 Trimotor, it specified a max gross weight of 12, 499. Gee, I wonder why...
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

I believe any aircraft designated Heavy (12,500 max gross or greater) requires a crew of 2. The Lear 23 was certified at 12,500 exactly, and the Lear 24 was bumped up to 13,500. So no, it would appear they are not single-pilot aircraft.

FWIW, when the EAA got the experimental airworthiness certificate for its restored Ford AT5 Trimotor, it specified a max gross weight of 12, 499. Gee, I wonder why...
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

FWIW, when the EAA got the experimental airworthiness certificate for its restored Ford AT5 Trimotor, it specified a max gross weight of 12, 499. Gee, I wonder why? ;)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Then, he can go get some dual in a twin Seminole ... at night. Also, put on a hood for his instrument training.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Over 12,500 pounds requires a type rating, but does not necessarily require two pilots. A Beechcraft King Air 350 has a gross weight over 15,000 pounds and can be flown single pilot. The requirement for two pilots is determined by the aircraft's certification.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

The idea of instrument training in an LSA is both good and required as pointed out previously.

I would add that’s it’s also good to train specifically in the avionics panel you use
My Dynon SkyView panel can be configured to use altitude/airspeed “tapes” displays or you can select the basic six-pack display. Both are GPS generated as I have no pitot static instruments in my plane.
Which leads me to suggest have some training as regards losing the display/instruments you have and use of backups. I had a faulty SkyBiew which suddenly went dark one day. Fortunately I was near home field but all I had was a radio and my experience to guess power and airspeed setting from engine sound. It does happen
Regarding night flying which is prohibited for sport pilots it’s still good to experience night flight and even more so at sunset and into civil twilight.
As someone said whatever makes you a better pilot
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Nomore767 wrote:Both are GPS generated as I have no pitot static instruments in my plane.
None? Really? How does that work?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]