King School does not teach this

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

foresterpoole

Re: King School does not teach this

Post by foresterpoole »

nub_pilot wrote:I also started my King training, but don't plan on taking the test until I have a solid plan of plane and instructor setup because once you take the written a 2 year timer starts. if you don't finish in that time, you will have to take the exam over again.

I had a meeting with the owner of the Cub, which is also my instructor. I am just a bit outside the weight limit for the Cub and having a hell of a time getting below the limit. I have heard that some folks at Chester (KSNC) are looking to start an LSA chapter in which they are possibly looking to start with a Champ. Don't know anything and this is way early for any details. Also Mike (owner of the Cub) is also looking at alternatives for rental and training through the Chester Charter (possible lease back from an owner). All is too early to tell.

Tony, I am interested in learning about the Windham deal, they used to have an LSA there also but apparently sold it. That would be perfect if they had something to rent and train out of (30min from home).

There is also a lot of unknown being thrown around with regards to the changes to the LSA limitations. Spoke with a gentleman from MI who Involved in the changes and stated that they are about 18 months away from finalizations. He stated that a lot of "other" planes could become LSA eligible.
I'll agree with this plan of action to wait. I have been working on an instrument rating and it took the school 6 months to find and hire a qualified CFII. Fast forward a few months and a few hours of instruction and he leaves to go to the airlines. The school only has one other CFII and one plane capable of GPS approaches. The CFII works part time/weekends when he is not a Sheriff Deputy and basically took on the entire primary student list and instrument students when my instructor left. Fast forward to today, I have not flown under the hood in 2 months, the school has not found another CFII and is encouraging people to look elsewhere for training until they can find at least 1 qualified CFI or CFII. I held off taking the test knowing this type of situation might occur, too often now fight instruction is simply a pass through for hour building to the airlines. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining I understand that is how we get instructors these days, but I don't think starting a clock with an unknown future is a good gamble. I'll take it when I'm halfway through the training and the outlook to finish is close to assured.
Ed
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Scooper wrote:Uh, Google "chemtrails." Nothingburger.
Chemtrails or contrails? Either way, you have to be really "high" to get those. :lol:
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

Chemtrails.... It was a joke thread. It has been so quiet here i thought I'd start a funny thread knowing we have some comical members that would respond.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Thanks! I needed that!