Low and slow XC prep

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Hambone

Re: Low and slow XC prep

Post by Hambone »

3Dreaming wrote:
Hambone wrote:
drseti wrote:
I'm a firm believer that no condition inspection done by the seller's mechanic is ever a substitute for a prebuy examination done by the buyer's. I invite you to invest an hour and a half in viewing my webinar "how to buy a used LSA" before proceeding further:

http://avsport.org/webinars/videos/prebuy.mp4
Thanks! I'll watch that.

I have already planned to have another mechanic do a prebuy after the annual is complete.
Experimental aircraft don't get Annual inspections, they get condition inspections.
Thanks for the info. So much to learn!
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote: Experimental aircraft don't get Annual inspections, they get condition inspections.
To be really pedantic, any aircraft that doesn't have a standard airworthiness certificate gets a "condition inspection within the previous 12 calendar months"!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

It's almost impossible to have a discussion here anymore. Not referring to you Paul.

http://www.wordinfo.info/words/images/pedantic-1.jpg
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

TimTaylor wrote:Not referring to you Paul.
That's OK, Tim. I wear the label proudly. ;)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Pedantic can be good, especially to us newbies.

It reminds me of the old "measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a grease pencil, chop it with an axe" analogy!
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Hambone wrote:Pedantic can be good, especially to us newbies.
It was kind of a shock to find that my E-LSA will never be airworthy again!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

Eddie, it was never airworthy when it was an S-LSA.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TimTaylor wrote:It's almost impossible to have a discussion here anymore. Not referring to you Paul.

I don't agree. And you will say of course you don't. Discussions are easy when the participants are not unyielding, and get upset when someone doesn't agree with thier views.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote: I don't agree.
It's fine that many of us disagree (even on this forum) - as long as we're all respectful about it.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: Experimental aircraft don't get Annual inspections, they get condition inspections.
To be really pedantic, any aircraft that doesn't have a standard airworthiness certificate gets a "condition inspection within the previous 12 calendar months"!
To be really really pendantic, it is any aircraft that has other than a standard airworthiness certificate requires a condition inspection. The FAA does regulate aircraft that don't have a standard airworthiness certificate that do not require condition inspections.

Edited to change what I wanted to say.
Last edited by 3Dreaming on Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

3Dreaming wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:It's almost impossible to have a discussion here anymore. Not referring to you Paul.

I don't agree. And you will say of course you don't. Discussions are easy when the participants are not unyielding, and get upset when someone doesn't agree with thier views.
their views.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TimTaylor wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:

their views.
Sure pick on the guy with a disability. I can't help it if I have a little dyslexic tendency when typing. At least I didn't use there instead of thier.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

So I've decided to use ForeFlight for my adventure. I had a Stratux in my CT, but the Sentry and Sentry Mini are looking better to me. The Levil BOM looks great, but seems a bit pricey for what it does.

Anyone using a Sentry or Sentry Mini? https://flywithsentry.com/
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

drseti wrote:Eddie, it was never airworthy when it was an S-LSA.
Interesting fact!

I had assumed that a Light Sport that left the manufacturer with a Special Light Sport Airworthiness Certificate was “airworthy” as long as it continued to comply with the ASTM specifications, and that only changed when it became EXPERIMENTAL. Confusing, because even my EXPERIMENTAL Sky Arrow still has an “airworthiness” certificate. I was, of course, aware of the “condition for safe flight” language for EXPERIMENTAL Annual Condition Inspection signoffs.

Seems almost intentionally confusing. But thanks for setting me straight.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

The FAA definition of Airworthy is: complies with its Type Certificate, and is in a condition for safe flight. So, any aircraft that does not have a TC (that would include SLSA, ELSA, and E-AB) can technically never be airworthy (but must be safe).

Possible corollary: maybe aircraft with a TC can never be safe (but must be airworthy)?
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US