Low and slow XC prep

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

Re: Low and slow XC prep

Post by TimTaylor »

Paul, could you please put that in a Venn diagram so we can understand it?
Retired from flying.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

So, regarding low and slow XC prep, anyone using Sentry or Sentry Mini with Foreflight? Looks like a great combination!

Levil BOM looks great, too, but perhaps overpriced for my needs.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I'll try to do that, Tim, Venn I get around to it.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Hambone wrote:So, regarding low and slow XC prep, anyone using Sentry or Sentry Mini with Foreflight? Looks like a great combination!

Levil BOM looks great, too, but perhaps overpriced for my needs.
I’d advocate for keeping it as simple as possible. Any GPS handheld can navigate to virtually any airport in the US, as can any iPhone or Android phone running any decent aviation navigation program. I think too many doodads run the risk of taking away from the simple joy of “low and slow XC” flying.

But That’s Just Me! (tm)
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

It's the Dallas > Tucson route I'm most concerned about. High elevations, cold temps, turbulence, sparsely populated... in a 65 hp open-cockpit single-seater with no electrical system! The ADS-B enroute data from the Sentry will be most welcome.

Looking forward to the adventure, though!
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

The Sentry looks like a good option. You can get the exact same results with a Stratux for less cost. I would use that in conjunction with iPad and iFly GPS or some other full feature app. I prefer iFly GPS, but there are many other choices.
Retired from flying.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

I had a Stratux, but found mounting it clumsy. The cockpit in the Baby Ace is tiny. The Sentry is very small, and the Sentry Mini even smaller. The Sentry has a built-in 12-hour rechargeable battery.

I used FltPlan Go with my Stratux, but Foreflight seems so much more comprehensive. I'll check out iFly.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Hambone wrote: I used FltPlan Go with my Stratux, but Foreflight seems so much more comprehensive. I'll check out iFly.
I personally use WingX on an iPad Pro (they also have Android and Kindle versions). It has the same functionality as ForeFlight, and is similarly priced, but to me, it seems WingX is a bit more user-friendly. The company also seems to be more GA-friendly, especially since Boeing acquired ForeFlight.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I have free WingX but still pay for iFly GPS. That's how good it is and easy to use.
Retired from flying.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

3Dreaming wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
I don't agree. And you will say of course you don't. Discussions are easy when the participants are not unyielding, and get upset when someone doesn't agree with thier views.
their views.
Sure pick on the guy with a disability. I can't help it if I have a little dyslexic tendency when typing. At least I didn't use there instead of thier.
While on the topic of spelling and grammar, I can't believe how many people don't know the difference between then and than. Those are totally different words, but I see them misused all the time, not necessarily on this forum. It also seems like verb conjugation is a lost skill. You can't read a forum for 30 minutes without someone typing, "I seen." I don't get it. This is 3rd grade stuff.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TimTaylor wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:
their views.
Sure pick on the guy with a disability. I can't help it if I have a little dyslexic tendency when typing. At least I didn't use there instead of thier.
While on the topic of spelling and grammar, I can't believe how many people don't know the difference between then and than. Those are totally different words, but I see them misused all the time, not necessarily on this forum. It also seems like verb conjugation is a lost skill. You can't read a forum for 30 minutes without someone typing, "I seen." I don't get it. This is 3rd grade stuff.
Grammer certainly wasn't my best subject in school, but I do the best I can.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I was a math and science guy and hated English and history.
Retired from flying.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

So, once again regarding low and slow XC prep, any suggested routings between West Texas and Tucson? I'm a bit concerned about the potential turbulence, winds, cold, high density altitudes, and generally inhospitable and sparsely populated areas in the south. I'd prefer to be further north, but it will be colder.

If I were wise, given the time of year and my lack of taildragger experience, I would probably take the wing off and trailer her home. But I'm not the wisest at the best of times, and I'm quite looking forward to the challenging experience.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

When I did the leg from Amarillo, TX to Moriarty, NM to Page, AZ in my Sky Arrow, it was highly recommended that for the most part I follow roads, which I mostly did. It took them 13 months to find Steve Fosset’s remains - that’s how inhospitable much of that terrain is. Being able to land on or adjacent to a road in the event of an emergency can greatly increase one’s chance of survival.

West Texas to Tucson, I’d probably just try to follow I-10 as much as possible. From Amarillo on a slightly more northerly route, it was I-40. In the US, there’s almost always an interstate to follow that won’t take you too far out of the way.

As far as the “low” part, about 1,000 agl is my personal minimum in a small plane, giving at least a few option if the fan quits. I’d go higher to take advantage of tailwinds, avoid turbulence and/or beat the heat.

I had the pleasure of flying a homebuilt biplane from Phoenix to (almost) Copperhill, TN, an adventure very similar to the one you’re planning.*

Let me know if you plan on making it to Perry, GA. I’d love to hook up, weather and schedules permitting.

*Do your very best to avoid Hereford, TX. I suppose over time one would get used to the smell from the stockyards, but certainly not overnight!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

Eddie's mention of Steve Fossett brings to mind that you should invest in a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon), register it with NOAA, and carry it on your person during the trip.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US