Sport Pilot Training Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

EyeInTheSky

Sport Pilot Training Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia

Post by EyeInTheSky »

Hello. So I've just completed ground school and I am now looking for a CFI or flight school in the Seattle, Tacoma, or Olympia area. I'm aware that there is one school in Renton, Washington but would like to see if there are any other options.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.
Student Pilot
M.S. Management and Leadership
C.A.P. Senior Member
HAPPYDAN

Re: Sport Pilot Training Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia

Post by HAPPYDAN »

EyeInTheSky wrote:Hello. So I've just completed ground school and I am now looking for a CFI or flight school in the Seattle, Tacoma, or Olympia area. I'm aware that there is one school in Renton, Washington but would like to see if there are any other options.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.
Well, my friend, Good Luck. While any CFI can train you for Sport Pilot License requirements, I found few that were willing, and even fewer DPE's willing to administer the practical test. I trained with PAVCO in Tacoma Narrows airport (KTIW), but got frustrated with my lack of progress and quit. They do have a pair of Skycatchers, which were well maintained, and the airport is an absolute joy to fly from. It's class Delta, so you get that endorsement in the bargain. Recently, a person I know here got her SPL after training with PAVCO and RFTS flying club (also at KTIW), who also has a Skycatcher. But the club is currently closed to new members. I was also told of a flying club at Sanderson field in Shelton with an LSA Ercoupe. And a CFI on Vashon Island with a J-3 Cub. You may find a Gig Harbor Light Sport Flying Club on the internet, who has an Aeronca Chief, but I have had no luck in contacting that organization. Safety in Motion at Thun field in Puyallup has a J-3 Cub, and a super CFI named Manny. But, if you're willing to travel, The airfield in Arlington is the state sport flying mecca. I also checked out an airfield in Snohomish, near Monroe, that had 2 LSA's and offered Sport Pilot training, but decided against that as too difficult to get to reliably with our current abysmal traffic situation. But, if all else fails, and you don't mind spending $10,000, you can enroll in the EAA Sport Pilot Academy, and enjoy a 3 week vacation to Oshkosh WI.
drseti

Post by drseti »

HAPPYDAN wrote:While any CFI can train you for Sport Pilot License requirements, I found few that were willing, and even fewer DPE's willing to administer the practical test.
Well, I can't help with the former, unless you're willing to travel to central PA. But I can help with the latter. I am a DPE, and both authorized and willing to give checkrides anywhere in the US (assuming the applicant is willing to pay my travel expenses). For details, see:

http://SportPilotExaminer.US
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
EyeInTheSky

Post by EyeInTheSky »

Thanks for the help Happydan. I took the written today and scored 88% so I'm excited to get started (whenever this rain we're having will let up a bit). I live near Olympia, so traveling to Puyallup, Gig Harbor, or Vashon would be no problem. Arlington would be ideal, but that's almost a 2 hour haul from home, so not very practical (unfortunately). I did reach out to RFTS and also was told that they are not taking any new members.

Thanks Doc for the offer. I'll keep that in mind if I run into a roadblock in the testing phase.
Student Pilot
M.S. Management and Leadership
C.A.P. Senior Member
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

The Cessna C162 SkyCatcher would be an excellent airplane in which to learn to fly. That is, if you don't weigh 250 pounds.
Retired from flying.