Sport Pilot WINGS Flight Activity without LSA?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

amster105

Sport Pilot WINGS Flight Activity without LSA?

Post by amster105 »

I'm currently rated as a Sport Pilot with ASEL and ASES. My Flight Review lapsed about 2 years ago, (last FR was ~4 years ago).

I am now considering getting my PPL-Glider next year. But in order to solo a Glider, I will need to have a valid Flight Review. (The solo endorsement for certified pilots does not cover this).

There aren't any LSAs for rent near me. I can't use a C152/172 for a normal Flight Review, according to AC 61-98D 4.2.1.1,
A pilot who holds only a sport pilot certificate may only take a flight review in a light-sport aircraft for which he or she holds an operational privilege
My next thought was to go for a WINGS phase. The question is can I do the Sport Pilot WINGS flight activities in a non-LSA?
Example of a Wings Flight Activity for a Sport Pilot.
drseti

Re: Sport Pilot WINGS Flight Activity without LSA?

Post by drseti »

It is my understanding that you can only get credit for WINGS flight activities in a category and class of aircraft for which you are rated. This is why, for example, student pilots cannot earn a Phase of WINGS.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I'm a little curious why a Sport Pilot would need a current Flight Review to get a Private Pilot certificate in a glider? What about new students who get a Private Pilot certificate in a glider? They don't need a Flight Review. Why doesn't the certification process for Private Pilot glider make your legal to fly gliders?
Retired from flying.
amster105

Post by amster105 »

This Letter of Interpretation explains why a rated pilot needs a Flight Review pretty well.

But in short it comes down to:
Student Pilots are explicitly exempt from Flight Review regulations. 61.56(g)
And the endorsement a student pilot gets is different than the endorsement a rated pilot (Sport and higher) gets.

Even if Gliders transition didn't require Solo flights, for the check-ride itself you are expected to be PIC. Unless the DPE agrees to Act as PIC, but I hear that's rare.
amster105

Post by amster105 »

drseti wrote:It is my understanding that you can only get credit for WINGS flight activities in a category and class of aircraft for which you are rated. This is why, for example, student pilots cannot earn a Phase of WINGS.
How does LSA weigh in when it comes to Category and Class? I have category and class for ASEL and ASES. Is ASEL-LSA a separate category/class than a traditional ASEL?
Sport Pilot
ASEL ASES TW B/C/D
drseti

Post by drseti »

amster105 wrote: Is ASEL-LSA a separate category/class than a traditional ASEL?
Yes. A Sport Pilot with ASEL class rating can only fly an ASEL that meets the definition of an LSA. A PP-ASEL has no such restriction.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TimTaylor wrote:I'm a little curious why a Sport Pilot would need a current Flight Review to get a Private Pilot certificate in a glider? What about new students who get a Private Pilot certificate in a glider? They don't need a Flight Review. Why doesn't the certification process for Private Pilot glider make your legal to fly gliders?
For a rated pilot to solo in a different category it is different than being a student pilot. You must have a current flight review to act as PIC, and since he is not rated in a glider he can't do the flight review in the glider.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Amster105, There is a way around your problem depending on the glider you will be learning in. You can do a Sport Pilot Glider add on without having to solo. You train to proficiency with one instructor and do a proficiency ride with another. Once completed you can now do a flight review in the glider, and move on to finishing your private pilot rating. The problem may be finding a couple glider flight instructors willing to do it.

BTW, I am a CFI ASEL and Glider.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote: BTW, I am a CFI ASEL and Glider.
Which raises a completely different question, Tom. I am Commercial ASEL, CFI, CFII, with a Sport ASES add-on. Do you have any idea what it would take for me to add Sport ASES CFI privileges? (There's a SeaRey on my field I'd love to be able to instruct in.)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: BTW, I am a CFI ASEL and Glider.
Which raises a completely different question, Tom. I am Commercial ASEL, CFI, CFII, with a Sport ASES add-on. Do you have any idea what it would take for me to add Sport ASES CFI privileges? (There's a SeaRey on my field I'd love to be able to instruct in.)
Training from one ASES CFI, and proficiency check by another ASES CFI.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote: Training from one ASES CFI, and proficiency check by another ASES CFI.
Thanks. Sounds simple enough. Now I've just got to find those 2 ASES CFIs. :)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: Training from one ASES CFI, and proficiency check by another ASES CFI.
And finding two willing instructors, then convince them that it is as simple as it sounds.
amster105

Post by amster105 »

3Dreaming wrote:Amster105, There is a way around your problem depending on the glider you will be learning in. You can do a Sport Pilot Glider add on without having to solo. You train to proficiency with one instructor and do a proficiency ride with another. Once completed you can now do a flight review in the glider, and move on to finishing your private pilot rating. The problem may be finding a couple glider flight instructors willing to do it.

That's an interesting way to do it. Im pretty sure I will be able to arrange that!

Thanks for the idea!
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

amster105 wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:Amster105, There is a way around your problem depending on the glider you will be learning in. You can do a Sport Pilot Glider add on without having to solo. You train to proficiency with one instructor and do a proficiency ride with another. Once completed you can now do a flight review in the glider, and move on to finishing your private pilot rating. The problem may be finding a couple glider flight instructors willing to do it.

That's an interesting way to do it. Im pretty sure I will be able to arrange that!

Thanks for the idea!
If your insructors have any questions about the process I'd be happy to help.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

drseti wrote:
Head back down to Jack Brown's. Do what you did last time, but in the front seat.
Retired from flying.