New to aviation / LSA

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

USN_MC

New to aviation / LSA

Post by USN_MC »

Hello all,

I recently registered with another forum to get more information about aviation/medical prior to applying for my third-class medical.

I corresponded with Dr. Bruce and his recommendation along with others on the forum was to fly LSA aircraft.

After doing some research, I feel this is something I would love to learn to do. I have wanted to fly since probably around...1986 :D

I tried to find LSA training near me. The closest one I can find is near Seattle. Can anybody please point me in the right direction near Spokane, WA?

Thank you!
drseti

Re: New to aviation / LSA

Post by drseti »

Not only do I know offhand of no LSA yrain9ng opportunities near Spokane (there may be some; I just don't know), I can tell you that finding flight schools that train Sport Pilots is a problem in much of the country. In reading various of the threads on this site, you will discover that Sport flying is one of the best kept secrets in aviation. Which is a pity, as it's an excellent portal of entry into GA, and a wonderful stepping stone toward higher ratings.

One mission I've persued is trying to educate my fellow flight instructors about this opportunity. I do so by writing articles for aviation magazines, giving seminars, and moderating this forum. Often, what I hear in response is "this is the way we've always done things." So, it might be an uphill battle for you. (Which is not to say that isn't a worthwhile one).

In any case, good luck to you.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
USN_MC

Post by USN_MC »

Thank you for your reply. This is my only option at the moment due to some medical issues from my military time.

I can't imagine not going through with this. I saw a three week school online. I believe it's called EAA. It is a little expensive but I can save and attend when I get the green light from Momma. What are your thoughts on these schools?

Thank you again!
drseti

Post by drseti »

USN_MC wrote:What are your thoughts on these schools?
They're called crash courses for a reason. You can learn enough to pass a test, but you won't retain much if it. A better pace (for both understanding and retention) is two lessons a week over a three or four month period. You don't really want to be the world's fastest licensed pilot, just the world's safest.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

Whelcome USN / MC! Be prepared to travel for good LSA training. Things to look for:

1) A safe aircraft. A sign of this is an Light Sport aircraft that is an active central part of the flight school’s fleet. The flight school (or independent flight instructor) should be very knowledgeable AND very enthusiastic about Light Sport. The LSA aircraft should NOT “some extra little aircraft” on the field that nobody flies much.
2) Dedicated Instructor: Someone who enjoys teaching and is not just building time. Usually, these are instructors who have been teaching for many years and have an excellent reputation. Although, there are also some younger instructors that are good and enjoy teaching. The key is asking yourself, “Does this instructor really want to teach? Is the instructor well-organized with lesson plans? and “How many students has this instructor successfully turned into pilots in the last year? In the last 3 years?”
3) Weather can be a major obstacle to steady progress, especially in the Winter. Consider training in areas of the country where you can fly almost every day. (Private message me for LSA Flight Schools and/or instructor references in Florida... I personally know of three that are quite good) We also have our own Dr. Paul in Lock Haven, PA... of course there are Winters in PA, but you would certainly obtain quality training from Dr. Paul.
4) Personally, I always did well with the Gleim online test prep. Like Dr. Paul said, such programs tend to “teach the test.” You will gain more studying while simultaneously flight training, as you will be experiencing many of the concepts in the study guide.
5) What are your plans after getting your Sport Pilot Certificate? Quality Light Sport Rentals are not easy to find. Do you plan on owning or building your own plane?

Be prepared to make the logistic and financial commitment to your flight training,
We have an excellent Light Sport community on this board, with many knowledgeable members who can help.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

If you are willing to travel, take a run down the coast to Torrance, CA. Sling Flying Club, here is the link: https://www.flyingclub.aero/

There is also Paul Hamilton in Las Vegas.

Good Luck
drseti

Post by drseti »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote: There is also Paul Hamilton in Las Vegas.
Good Luck
Paul H. is actually in Reno, which is even closer to the OP.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

drseti wrote:
Good Luck
Thanks Drseti, Reno. :oops:
USN_MC

Post by USN_MC »

"What are your plans after getting your Sport Pilot Certificate? Quality Light-Sport Rentals are not easy to find. Do you plan on owning or building your own plane?"

Thank you for all the great information. I have been looking at a kit I can help with and put a stronger engine in.

We are rennovating our current house and dock on the Lake. Say goodbye to every single penny I ever saved! Seriously, I want to give up on this joker but it's so beautiful here.

Good news, we are selling our other house in April, finishing phase two of this renovation. Hopefully freeing up extra money I need for flight training.

I would like those POC's in Florida. Due to my limited options and seclusion, it may be my ONLY option. However, in saying that I don't expect to be ready to go off on my own. I will continue flying with an instructor after obtaining my certification until I feel I am ready.

I need this. This is very important to me and gives me a lot of extra freedom. I wish I could explain but I am sure everyone gets it. Outside of having a family, and serving in the military, this is something I have always dreamed of.

This whole process isn't going to be easy but like I tell my children if you want something you have to work for it. It might take me longer but eventually, I can get there :)
designrs

Post by designrs »

Congrats on your dedication! It’s really cool how you want to share that dedication and enthusiasm with your children.

Oh yes, we get it. Flying is BY FAR the most challenging and most rewarding thing that I’ve ever done... and that’s saying a lot considering the many things that I have done, in a very unique life, I even wrote a book about it.

I literally ended up driving 3 hours each way to fly, often staying overnight for a few days to earn my wings, and fly the LSA of my choice with an excellent instructor... and I few as a solo student 50% of the time, and the other 50% with instructors. I was in no hurry and valued the experience and added safety,

I am sending you a PM with detailed information on four LSA training options in Florida.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
USN_MC

Post by USN_MC »

designrs wrote:Congrats on your dedication! It’s really cool how you want to share that dedication and enthusiasm with your children.

Oh yes, we get it. Flying is BY FAR the most challenging and most rewarding thing that I’ve ever done... and that’s saying a lot considering the many things that I have done, in a very unique life, I even wrote a book about it.

I literally ended up driving 3 hours each way to fly, often staying overnight for a few days to earn my wings, and fly the LSA of my choice with an excellent instructor... and I few as a solo student 50% of the time, and the other 50% with instructors. I was in no hurry and valued the experience and added safety,

I am sending you a PM with detailed information on four LSA training options in Florida.
Thank you. I am looking forward to looking at them.
USN_MC

Post by USN_MC »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:
drseti wrote:
Good Luck
Thanks Drseti, Reno. :oops:
Reno would be great. I lived there when I was young. My best friend from second grade is a bartender and still lives there. I don't drink but it would be cool to visit and attend some training while I am at it.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Hamilton's flight school is Sport Aviation Center in Carson City (right near Reno). You might wish to browse http://sportaviationcenter.com/. In addition to being a prolific author and great instructor, Paul was the nation's very first Sport Pilot Examiner.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
USN_MC

Post by USN_MC »

drseti wrote:Hamilton's flight school is Sport Aviation Center in Carson City (right near Reno). You might wish to browse http://sportaviationcenter.com/. In addition to being a prolific author and great instructor, Paul was the nation's very first Sport Pilot Examiner.
Very cool! Thank you!
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

AirBoss... Any pics or vids of your jet? I was i KC for business last week but when planning my trip i completely forgot the the new Editor for the Arion News letter is in KC. Otherwise I would have loved to pick his brain on the LS1. He has some pretty cool vids on youtube. Beautiful plane. So far the best color combo I've seen it the yellow. N357SL. I think Anthony G was asking 63k. My 8 year old was begging me to buy it. I wasn't ready for it. Now i have a CFI willing to go to Shelbyville to get 5-10 hours of training.... Of course on my dime. Hopefully 2020 will have either an Arion Lightning or Sportcruiser in a hanger near me.