New to aviation / LSA

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

designrs

Re: New to aviation / LSA

Post by designrs »

Cool. Yes it very interesting stuff! Flying is not easy, but it is extremely rewarding. If it’s something that you have always wanted to do, then you should go for it.

I don’t know what is required for you to be “good to go” or what your relationship is with your wife, which of course are personal matters and are different for everyone.

A few thoughts:
1) Florida is best in the Winter and early Spring, before Summer hits.
2) I have witnessed flying as a means to make people better and stronger, by encouraging good self-care, fitness and mental stimulation. When you totally immerse yourself into an intense activity like flying, all of your senses come alive... and it sure beats the gym!
3) Flying takes self-sufficiency and guts!
4) Of course you have to be reasonably ready, and can not have anything going on that would compromise your ability to fly safely. That said, you will be starting with a CFI who is pilot in command while you are training, and ensure safety as you grow into becoming a pilot.
5) Anybody, with any condition or challenges, can fly with a CFI.
6) A good CFI will never let you put yourself in a position that you are not ready for or can’t handle... especially a CFI with experience who has “seen it all.”
7) There is no limit as to how long you can fly with a CFI or a check pilot onboard.

Completely as an aside, and I am certainly not referring to you specifically in any way... I know of a few pilots who realized that their skills aren’t quite as sharp due to age, or some physical condition, so they take a check pilot up with them. Why? Because they still love to fly!

So basically what I’m saying is: Go when you are ready and best suited, have fun, experience it, and see how much you can do.
To quote the old Army slogan, “Be All You Can Be!” 8)
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
USN_MC

Post by USN_MC »

Richard,

Thank you for the awesome post! Good to go means, a lot of things haha. Medication that works, being consistent with my therapist, money, getting my ass out of bed and stop feeling sorry for myself! We are getting two new rat terriers and I have applied for a service dog. I was told to apply in combat trauma but I didn't feel as deserving as others. To be honest, I still don't feel deserving but I have isolated myself and I want more freedom. The irony!

I love driving alone. I feel good driving a few hours up in the mountains on cruise control when I get "sick". It's so beautiful and free. I want more. I have always wanted to fly and I will make this happen soon.

I know I am safe to fly but if my wife is not on board...yet. She supports me in literally everything I do and always has. She is my biggest fan. I have spent 100k on this renovation that we are only halfway through.

We are selling our other home in the spring. I plan on finishing this renovation and putting money towards our goals.

Brant sent me a bunch of links but I am not sure what to focus on. Also, I didn't realize I could get lessons in a Cessna 172. I might be able to find an instructor closer for now.

"Be All You Can Be in the Aaaarmmmy"!

The Navy slogan for me was, "Go Full Speed Ahead" and "It's not a job, it's an adventure." It was an adventure all right LOL!!
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

Yes, you can take lessons in a 172, but you can’t solo in it without a medical. You’ll need to transition into a light sport before solo, and that might take almost as much time as if you started in it. Be forewarned; know what you’re getting into.
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
USN_MC

Post by USN_MC »

Hello All,

Still tracking on getting my sport pilot certification. My goal was to try and get over to Florida in the spring or the fall. However, I found out last week that they offer light sport training at an airfield near me in Idaho. They are called Lattitude Aviation. A friend of mine is working to become a pilot and told him I would no longer be pursuing a PPL for a few years and a better option for me is a light-sport cert. He asked me where I was going and I told him most likely Florida. He told me he was flying the other day and his instructor told him the light sport plane up in the air at the same time as them was from latitude aviation. I have texted back and forth and it appears they will be available to start training again in two months!

MC
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

Great! Best of luck with your training. Keep us posted on your progress.
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
USN_MC

Post by USN_MC »

Hello all,

Well, I talked to Brant at Sebring Flight Academy. I’ll be heading to Florida in June. Very excited to fulfill this life long dream.

:D :D :D :D :D

MC

I looked at the smiley faces. Are those masks, or teeth :lol: :shock: . Damn, I am seeing masks everywhere haha
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Good Luck to you MC, keep us in the loop.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

USN_MC wrote:Hello all,

Well, I talked to Brant at Sebring Flight Academy. I’ll be heading to Florida in June. Very excited to fulfill this life long dream.

:D :D :D :D :D

MC

I looked at the smiley faces. Are those masks, or teeth :lol: :shock: . Damn, I am seeing masks everywhere haha
I did my Sport Pilot training at Lockwood in Sebring. It's a nice area to fly in.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
USN_MC

Post by USN_MC »

I am all signed up and have my plane ticket to FL. I get to Sebring a day after the 4th of July weekend. I am incredibly excited!
drseti

Post by drseti »

You're going to be working your tail off, so don't forget to also have fun.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FrankR

Post by FrankR »

There are Cessna 162's in Renton, WA
4 hrs from home.