SP VFR Rules

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

RTC'83

SP VFR Rules

Post by RTC'83 »

Just started my fly training and ground school.
Confused about the VFR rule of 3SM visibility and clear of clouds.
Question:

Visibility 10SM and clouds Few SCT at 025, does it mean I can’t go higher then 020?

Appreciate your input.
RTC’83
Sport Pilot
FastEddieB

Re: SP VFR Rules

Post by FastEddieB »

“Clear of clouds” just means don’t fly into clouds. Plus you need to maintain the specified cloud clearance requirements.

No problem flying over a scattered, or even a broken layer, as long as you have visual contact with the surface, though I have to look up the exact language...

Here it is: [A Sport Pilot cannot fly ]“Without visual reference to the surface."
Last edited by FastEddieB on Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

You can fly above a scattered deck. Just make sure you can get down at your destination or back down through the scattered deck you just passed through, if you stay in the area. It’s usually a much smoother ride above scattered clouds.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Sport Pilots (and those operating under SP rules) are expected to be able to navigate solely by pilotage. You can't do this if you can't see the landmarks below you. This is part of the reason for requiring constant visual contact with the surface.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
HornedFrogGrant

Post by HornedFrogGrant »

RTC'83 wrote:Just started my fly training and ground school.
Confused about the VFR rule of 3SM visibility and clear of clouds.
Question:

Visibility 10SM and clouds Few SCT at 025, does it mean I can’t go higher then 020?

Appreciate your input.
3SM visibility: There are a handful of exceptions where Private-and-higher pilots can fly with 1SM visibility. However, these do NOT apply to Sport Pilots. Sport Pilots must have at least 3SM visibility at all times, no exceptions.

Clear of clouds: this is not referring to ceilings. This is referring to you staying physically clear of clouds, as opposed to flying through a cloud. Maintain standard cloud clearances of 1000 above, 500 below, and/or 2000 horizontal from clouds and you’ll be in good shape. There are a couple exceptions where you’re allowed to fly closer to clouds, but don’t worry about those at this moment. Even when allowed, it’s still a good idea to give clouds a wide berth.

In the situation you describe: 10SM visibility, clouds SCT 025... visibility is great, no worries there. SCT is not a ceiling, so you’re good there as well. You’re certainly within regs to climb above the SCT 025, as long as you maintain visual contact with the ground, and the aforementioned cloud clearance distances.

As others have said, be aware of the weather changes en-route. If the SCT deteriorates into BRK then OVC, you might lose visual contact with the ground, and be trapped in “VFR on top” (not good, as a Sport Pilot) or “VFR into IMC” (this could kill you).
Grant
Sport Pilot - ASEL
RTC'83

Post by RTC'83 »

To All:

The responses are very helpful, thanks.
RTC’83
Sport Pilot
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

3SM visibility: There are a handful of exceptions where Private-and-higher pilots can fly with 1SM visibility. However, these do NOT apply to Sport Pilots. Sport Pilots must have at least 3SM visibility at all times, no exceptions.
I'd suggest that you get up in a plane with a CFI or CFI-I and fly under the 5SM visibility, 3SM visibility and maybe ride with someone properly licensed (most likely Instrument rated) to experience 1SM. It will give you an appreciation for what each looks like in real life from the cockpit and also, at least in my case, set a personal minimum regardless of what a book says. Quite frankly I don;t like anything below 7 SM, haze can be a real issue and can wash out a horizon in a heartbeat and inversion layers frequently occur here in Louisiana and combined with smoke from agriculture and forestry can compound local visibility unexpectedly.
Ed
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

[/quote]
As others have said, be aware of the weather changes en-route. If the SCT deteriorates into BRK then OVC, you might lose visual contact with the ground, and be trapped in “VFR on top” (not good, as a Sport Pilot) or “VFR into IMC” (this could kill you).[/quote]

Again good advise, set your personal minimums by being able to experiment in a more controlled setting. Go up with your instructor on a SCT day and get above it, then look down. It will give you a new appreciation of just how things could change in an instant and how little you can sometimes see even through a scattered layer. I know pilots talk about picking through clouds all the time, but in my opinion takes some experience to do this and not break a cloud separation requirement.
Ed
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

FastEddieB wrote:“Clear of clouds” just means don’t fly into clouds. Plus you need to maintain the specified cloud clearance requirements.
If cloud distance is not specified (i.e. 500 below/1000 above/ 2 horizontally) for the applicable airspace, then just stay clear.

* First off, light sport pilots must have 3 SM of reported ground visibility and flight visibility, and maintain visual contact with the surface. Period.

It goes without saying, if VFR, if standard cloud clearance minima is prescribed for applicable airspace, pilots may not "fly into the clouds." Cloud clearance is a distance.

However, where cloud clearance is prescribed as "clear of clouds," such as a Special VFR clearance, or operating VFR in Class B airspace, or Class G airspace 1200 AGL and below (regardless of MSL), standard cloud clearance (i.e. 500 below/1000 above/ 2 horizontally) does not apply.

"Clear of clouds" means Just that. Keep a clear distance from them.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator