BFR

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Warmi

BFR

Post by Warmi »

So my 2 year period since my check ride is coming up a the end of April which would necessitate a flight review (BFR - 24 months.)
This may be a problem given our current situation but I just noticed in the regs the following paragraph.

14 CFR § 61.56 - Flight review.
(d) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, passed any of the following need not accomplish the flight review required by this section:
(1) A pilot proficiency check or practical test conducted by an examiner, an approved pilot check airman, or a U.S. Armed Force, for a pilot certificate, rating, or operating privilege.

Well, even though my check ride was in April (4/2018), I had another flight review and got a logbook endorsement from a CFI for Operations in C and D class airspace in September (9/2018).

So if I read the regs correctly, this was an operating privilege practical test and I am due for a BFR in September 2020 ..

Am I reading the regs correctly ? :-)
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
3Dreaming

Re: BFR

Post by 3Dreaming »

If you read the regulation the privilege you added did not require one of the professionals listed in the regulation, it was done by a CFI. Therefore it does not reset your flight review. It could have if the CFI had explicitly signed off a flight review at the same time.

It doesn't even extend your flight review by adding a different category to your sport pilot certificate.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Tom is correct, although any activity with a CFI that includes at least one hour of ground instruction and one hour of flight instruction could constitute a flight review, if the CFI happens to log it as such, provided it was conducted in an aircraft for which you are rated. Thus, training or a proficiency check for a new category and class, provided by a CFI, can't be logged as a flight review, because you're not yet rated in that aircraft.

For more details, see my EAA webinar from 4 years ago, "Reviewing the Flight Review", at:

http://avsport.org/webinars/videos/bfr.mp4
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Thanks guys.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

There has been some talk about the FAA extending Flight Review, and even Annual inspections, but I have not seen anything official about that yet. They did allow for the extension of some medical certificates.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Guess what ...

https://www.faa.gov/coronavirus/regulat ... clid=IwAR3

3 months extension as long as you have 10 PIC hours within last 12 months and manage to get 3 wings credits online ( will have to check that out )
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Warmi wrote:Guess what ...

3 months extension as long as you have 10 PIC hours within last 12 months and manage to get 3 wings credits online ( will have to check that out )
Just like anything with the government it took 94 pages to say what Warmi said in 23 words. :mrgreen:

This is great news as my BFR is in May. I already have the wings credits.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

ShawnM wrote:
Warmi wrote:Guess what ...

Just like anything with the government it took 94 pages to say what Warmi said in 23 words. :mrgreen:

This is great news as my BFR is in May. I already have the wings credits.
Unfortunately ,it looks like it doesn’t apply to us.

The relief applies to any operation that requires the pilot to hold at least a commercial pilot certificate.
Additionally, this relief applies to some operations conducted by pilots exercising private pilot privileges, provided the pilot has at least 500 hours of total time as a pilot of which 400 hours is as PIC and 50 of the PIC hours were accrued in the last 12 calendar months.
This SFAR also extends to pilots conducting charitable medical flights for a volunteer
pilot organization pursuant to an exemption issued under part 11, provided the pilots continue to comply with the conditions and limitations of the exemption. For flights conducted by private pilots under this relief, no one may be carried on the aircraft unless that person is essential to the purpose of the flight, such as when transporting doctors for the purpose of providing medical care.

But then for BFR specifically it says .

The three calendar month extension applies to pilots who were current to act as PIC of an aircraft in March 2020 and whose flight review was due in March 2020 through June 2020. To mitigate any safety risk, the pilot must have logged at least 10 hours of PIC time within the twelve calendar months preceding the month the flight review was due.

So it is 50 hours or 10 hours ?

As usual as clear as mud.