Student solo rules

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Atrosa

Student solo rules

Post by Atrosa »

Once I get signed off to solo am I able to jump in my own plane and practice when I want? Obviously only at airports I've been signed off at. The reason I ask is in interviewing new flight schools one owner said they only want students flying when someone (CFI) is at the airport. My hope is to launch when the sun is coming up in smooth air and still having time in the day to sign into work. Honestly with COVID remote working I can work at the hanger if I have wifi. What better backdrop than an airplane for Zoom meetings :)
drseti

Re: Student solo rules

Post by drseti »

Each flight school has its own policy about this. "My airplane, my rules" prevails. My own policy is that those students who are training in their own aircraft have a lot more latitude than those flying a flight school plane. Generally I restrict students to supervised solo (with prebriefs and debriefs for every flight) until after their long solo XC. When getting ready for the checkride, I turn them loose to practice solo takeoffs and landings in the traffic pattern, and maneuvers in the practice area.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

My instructor allowed me to do solo work in my own plane as long as I checked in with him before and after every flight. We'd talk if he was at the airport or text if he was away and we'd both check the weather and make a go/no go decision. He wanted to know my intensions, what I was working on and if I was going to another airport for a touch and go or at the local practice area. His operation was a lot like Paul's. He was the sole owner and operator and was great to work with. Larger schools have kids posing as CFI's still wet behind the ears teaching people to fly just to build hours and move on. That's just not what I was looking for.

Some schools may not even allow you to train in your own plane so be ready for that answer also. They say it's a liability issue when I really think it's a revenue issue. :mrgreen:
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

My normal endorsement doesn't have any limitations other than must check with instructor before flight. Also when flying your own airplane you need to keep up on your endorsements, especially the 90 day endorsement. Also if you are doing sport pilot make sure your instructor makes all the required endorsements. It is amazing how inept some instructors are when it comes to sport pilot.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Yup, I always had to have my logbook with me that showed my endorsements. I ended up needing the "each additional 90 day period" endorsement once because life kept getting in the way during my training. And don't forget about the "greater than 87 knots" endorsement and "take offs and landings at another airport within 25nm" also. Oh, and if you are going to a towered airport, don't forget that one also. :mrgreen:
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote: It is amazing how inept some instructors are when it comes to sport pilot.
I didn't realize how true that is until I became a DPE. When I started giving checkrides, I was amazed to discover that about half of the recommending instructors had omitted required endorsements. Thats why, when I created the website http://SportPilotExaminer.US, I included sections on Instructor Responsibilities, Applicant Responsibilities, Examiner Responsibilities, and Required Endorsements.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

ShawnM wrote:Yup, I always had to have my logbook with me that showed my endorsements. I ended up needing the "each additional 90 day period" endorsement once because life kept getting in the way during my training. And don't forget about the "greater than 87 knots" endorsement and "take offs and landings at another airport within 25nm" also. Oh, and if you are going to a towered airport, don't forget that one also. :mrgreen:
.... plus of course the requisite offerings to the FAA every other Thursday on a leap year but I am sure you already know that one.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: It is amazing how inept some instructors are when it comes to sport pilot.
I didn't realize how true that is until I became a DPE. When I started giving checkrides, I was amazed to discover that about half of the recommending instructors had omitted required endorsements. Thats why, when I created the website http://SportPilotExaminer.US, I included sections on Instructor Responsibilities, Applicant Responsibilities, Examiner Responsibilities, and Required Endorsements.
Oh, you mean like the "instrument training" endorsement. :D
drseti

Post by drseti »

rcpilot wrote: Oh, you mean like the "instrument training" endorsement. :D
Yep, like that one. And when I tell CFIs about it, I then have to tell them what Vh means!
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

Having your own plane doesn't legally change your student solo privileges. Your instructor is held responsible for authorizing every flight and the terms and limitations of your solo privileges.

In practice, having your own plane might factor into the solo terms set by your instructor... for example, in Dr. Paul's comment above.

For many reasons, you need a compatible instructor that will keep you safe and legal, while fitting your lifestyle and training schedule.

As a student, too much freedom is not good. Yet you need latitude to safely learn and make mistakes.

You mentioned something about "work getting in the way" which could mean "time lapsed between flights." Just because you logbook says 90 days doesn't mean your skills stayed tight after not flying for 70 days.

Legal doesn't automatically equal safe.
On some occasions, safe isn't always legal. :D
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I know an instructor who's standard endorsement states that if you have not flown within the past 14 days you must make a flight with an instructor. This is in addition to wind and crosswind limitations. I should also add this is for gliders.
designrs

Post by designrs »

I received my Sport Pilot Certificate just before a really nasty Winter in the Northeast, which resulted in me not flying for something like 5 months! At the time had a decent amount of hours for a new pilot (around 115.)

Although the owner of the flight school where I flew didn't stipulate any restriction on my plane rental, common sense prevailed and I went up with an instructor for a few touch-and-gos. Surprisingly, I didn't loose much.

After our flight, I had lunch. Then, later I went off for a solo cross-country.

Better safe than sorry!
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

Roger that. I'm not interested in flying without any guidance from a CFI. But once I'm signed off and we (CFI) and I establish very conservative minimums I would really like to refine what I have learned.

In fact, Paul I have a business idea for you. ***This will not count towards hours*** just meant to be learning opportunities. I spend a bunch of time on my fs2020 sim and when I mess up I would love the input of a CFI on what I did wrong. So my business model is I post a take off and landing and you critique it for a consulting fee of course.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Atrosa wrote: In fact, Paul I have a business idea for you.
And, in fact, I already do something similar. My flight school owns a Redbird Jay simulator, to which my primary students have free, unlimited access. If any of them is doing sim practice while I happen to be on the airport (in my office, in the hangar, or between students) and desires any feedback on their sim sessions, this is always offered at no charge. It's not logable, of course, but represents a value-added service.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Helen

Post by Helen »

In addition to the school having policies on this and the instructor setting limits on this through endorsements, the 500 pound gorilla in the room is often the insurance company that insures the school. While often overlooked, it is common for insurance companies to only allow "supervised solo" as defined by having a CFI present at the school to release the student.

One of my instructors found a nice article about exactly this in a gliding magazine a few years back. When I checked, sure enough that was a requirement of our insurance policy. So in addition to the student being familiar with the limits of her endorsements and the school's policies, it is critical that the CFI be familiar with the requirements of the school's insurance policy.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Quality Flight Training, Rentals, and Service
Factory Authorized RV-12 Training and Service Center
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com