Sutdent Pilot Certificate processing time

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

rob

Sutdent Pilot Certificate processing time

Post by rob »

Does anyone know how long the FAA usually takes to process applications for a Student Certificate on IACRA? I applied on 4-10-22 and am still waiting. Thanks!
3Dreaming

Re: Sutdent Pilot Certificate processing time

Post by 3Dreaming »

You should be able to log into your account and print a temporary certificate after just a few days. It will take quite a while before you will gwet the plastic hard copy.
rob

Post by rob »

I can login and see my application, but nothing on there says it was approved or that I have a valid Student Pilot Certificate. hmmmm.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Did you have someone from the FSDO, a DPE, or a CFI complete their part of the application?
drseti

Post by drseti »

After I (in my role as DPE) approve a Student Pilot Certificate application, it takes about a week for the background check (much longer for non-citizens) before the temporary certificate shows up on IACRA. The temp is good for 120 days, and the plastic card usually arrives in 90.

On a related note, FAA aircraft registration branch is significantly backed up. A bill of sale is good as a temp registration for (I believe) 90 days, but OKC is now taking four months or more to process a registration. Even renewals are taking three or four months, so apply early - don't let your acft registration run out because of bureaucratic inefficiency.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
arizonarotors

Post by arizonarotors »

A signed copy of the Aircraft Registration Application (8050-1) can be used, in most cases, for 90 days as a temporary registration when carried in the aircraft. When submitted to the FAA, the 8050-1 must be accompanied by an Aircraft Bill of Sale (8050-2).

Jim
Last edited by arizonarotors on Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Thanks, Jim. AOPA has recently reported numerous cases in which purchasers of aircraft followed that procedure, but FAA did not issue a registration card before that 90 day period had run out.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
arizonarotors

Post by arizonarotors »

Hi Paul,
You're exactly right. As of today, the FAA is processing requests received on January 6.

If someone is within a week or so of the end of the 90 day period, they can go to: https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificat ... _registry/

There is a link to request an extension. The extension will be emailed or snail mailed and is good for 120 days

Jim
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Yep, and they will process the extension almost immediately, but there is still a backlog for original issue registrations.
rob

Post by rob »

3Dreaming wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:43 pm Did you have someone from the FSDO, a DPE, or a CFI complete their part of the application?
My CFI completed her part. She is going to ask the DPE she works with to take a look.
rob

Post by rob »

I checked IACRA this morning my temporary student certificate is there. :D Thank-you to everyone for your answers.
StressRelief

Post by StressRelief »

rob wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:10 am I checked IACRA this morning my temporary student certificate is there. :D Thank-you to everyone for your answers.
Thank you for posting a follow-up! So many times people don't check back in so others don't actually get an answer. So, based on the time line, it's roughly 6 weeks, not exactly speedy, but as far as government turnaround goes, that's light speed. :lol:
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

We had a student recently who it to less than a week to get theirs.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:50 pm We had a student recently who it to less than a week to get theirs.
I had two recent students receive theirs in just over a week.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rob

Post by rob »

I think there was something my CFI forgot to do - once it was done, it took 6 days to get approved.