LSA Category, Class & Type question?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

eidolon

LSA Category, Class & Type question?

Post by eidolon »

A friend is using my P 92 Eaglet to train for his Light Sport license. He currently has 16 hours in the plane, but previously trained in an Ercoupe that can be flown as light sport (an unmodified 415c). He has 37 total hours of training (including solo time) and feels he is ready to take his practical exam (Written was successfully accomplished too). His CFI says he cannot enter him into IACRA until he has 20 hours in the Eaglet?

The CFI has limited previous experience with Light Sport, so I am wondering if he is correct on this issue? The student is proceeding to get the additional 4 needed hours, but this issue raises interesting questions for me. I followed an opposite path when I was training for my LSA several years ago - amassing a lot of hours in the Eaglet & Remos, but ultimately training and testing in an Ercoupe 415c. I don't think I had 20 hours in the 'Coupe when I tested, but that was in 2012 and maybe IACRA or requirements have changed since then?

An interesting academic question for the LSA community, to say the least.
Dave C

Re: LSA Category, Class & Type question?

Post by Dave C »

All his hours count. It is my understanding that even if his previous time was in a Cessna 172 it would count.
3Dreaming

Re: LSA Category, Class & Type question?

Post by 3Dreaming »

It is the applicant that should be filling out the application in IACRA, not the CFI. Though I often help my applicants with IACRA. If IACRA accepts the application send it to the instructor for them to sign. He doesn't need 20 in the Tecnam. 20 hours total time in any aircraft, 5 hours solo also can be in any aircraft, and 2 hours in prep for the checkride. Of course the checkride must be in a LSA.