2014 Expo

If you're interested in all things Sport Pilot/Light Sport Aircraft, this is the place to be every January! Mark your calendars. http://www.sport-aviation-expo.com

Moderator: drseti

Merlinspop

Re: 2014 Expo

Post by Merlinspop »

I decided to skip Expo this year. I figured the 'all up' cost of going would be something like $600. That's more money than I spent this year actually flying. So instead of going to the Expo, I'm committing to put that towards my 'go and actually fly' budget.
On the other hand, my riding mower is almost dead and the last time I mowed the whole yard using a push mower (little of the yard is horizontal) I was almost dead, too.
- Bruce
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

drseti wrote:
Flocker wrote:Any tips/suggestions on flying into Sebring?
Brush up on your crosswind landings. For some reason, it always seems to be windy at Expo. :cry:

Glad you're coming, Flocker. I look forward to meeting you there. I'm also staying at Inn On the Lakes (for the third time), so will maybe see you at breakfast.

FWIW, I stayed at Chateau Elan once. It's very nice, and conveniently situated, but more expensive.
Thanks for the advice. See you there.

For others interested in lodging options, I just got off the phone with Chateau Elan, they have regular rooms for $145/Night, Jr. Suites for $175/Night and Grand Suites for $300/Night.
Aviation Real Estate Broker
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

Kathy and I are planning to go, but Sally will stay home.
Dave
c162pilot

Post by c162pilot »

I plan to be in Orlando for a business meeting that ends on January 15th so I am in a position to attend the first day of the show on the 16th. Any feedback on the first day and if it is really worth attending. Last year I attended on the Saturday and I think most of the exhibitors had arrived. Any thoughts on attending the first day? My cost will be an extra night in a hotel and rental car so call it $250.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Typically, exhibitors arrive on Wednesday and set up on Thursday, so Friday should be normal operations. But, when the wx refuses to cooperate, anything possible. :cry: there will certainly be forums on Friday (I plan to present one of my Wings seminars that afternoon), and I can promise you that the Flying Musicians will be performing all four days. And, regardless of what exhibitors show up, and when, there will be lots of socializing. So, by all means, come if you can.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
c162pilot

Post by c162pilot »

Currently my plans would have me there on Thursday the 16th, the first day of the show.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Great! I'm trying to schedule Wings seminars for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday afternoons. My Thursday topic will be either LSA Maintenance or LSA Documentation. Do you have a preference?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

All reservations completed this morning. Looking forward to it!
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

Quick question on flight demos... do they need to be scheduled ahead of time or can we just drop by and go?
drseti

Post by drseti »

Most of the exhibitors put a clipboard out in the booth first thing each morning, with a sign-up sheet. You have to reserve, and it's first come, first served.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

drseti wrote:Most of the exhibitors put a clipboard out in the booth first thing each morning, with a sign-up sheet. You have to reserve, and it's first come, first served.
Thanks. Do they charge a fee for the demo? If so, what is a typical fee?
drseti

Post by drseti »

Most charge about what the Hobbs time in the plane would come to. And, if you buy, they credit that amount back toward the purchase.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

2014 Expo Safety Seminars scheduled

Post by drseti »

OK, gang, I now have the schedule for my FAA Safety Seminars at Expo:

Thursday, 16 January 2014 - Stepping Up to Light Sport (details at http://avsport.org/FAASTeam/EA1353113F.pdf)
Friday, 17 January 2014 - Light Sport Maintenance (details at http://avsport.org/FAASTeam/EA1353114F.pdf)
Saturday, 18 January 2014 - Light Sport Documentation (details at http://avsport.org/FAASTeam/EA1353115F.pdf)

All these seminars will be held from 1 PM to 2:15 PM EST in Forum Area #2. Be sure to register on faasafety.gov for Wings and AMT Award credit.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Flocker wrote:Quick question on flight demos... do they need to be scheduled ahead of time or can we just drop by and go?
I had an e-mail from Vans who said the demo schedule for the RV12 SLSA on 17th/18th was wide open. I replied to the e-mail and asked for a demo slot on the 17th. I just had a reply saying I'm on the schedule on the 17th. FWIW The guy who contacted me is from RV12 SLSA marketing (Yikes I'm being marketed!)…his name is Adam and can be contacted at:-
[email protected] Adam's cell is 920-216-3255

BTW…I think it's a bit steep having to 'pay' for the demo! Seriously? I replied to Adam to ask about this. If I get a reply I'll post it.

Cheers, Howard.
Last edited by Nomore767 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Nomore767 wrote:BTW…I think it's a bit steep having to 'pay' for the demo! Seriously?
Not sure I agree with you, Howard. These are mostly small companies operating with little to no margin. If they give free joyrides to everyone who wants one, how long will they stay in business? By charging the actual operating costs, they're reducing the burden to a manageable scale, and ensuring that the folks flying are actually prospective customers. And, most companies do credit the demo ride costs toward the purchase price.

BTW, in past years, the RV-12 rides were all given by Mitch, in his own aircraft, at his own expense (he's not a Vans employee). Why shouldn't he be reimbursed operating costs for providing this service?
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US