Hello from southern Delaware

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Mikey B

Hello from southern Delaware

Post by Mikey B »

Hi everybody -- another rusty private pilot is ready to join the sport pilot world. I earned my license in 1979 during grad school, then (like so many others) career and family took precedence, and 40 years later, here I am. I only wish I had kept up with the changes in general aviation -- I hadn't even heard about LSA's, sport pilot, and BasicMed; if I had I would have at least renewed my 3rd class medical a few years back. Now, with some retina issues, I doubt I could pass the medical, but I think sport pilot will suit me fine.

We split our time between Delaware and Arizona, and I will probably use Chesapeake Sport Pilot in Maryland and/or Flying Cacti in Arizona to scrape the rust off and try out these nice new airplanes that have come along since my C152 days ...
TimTaylor

Re: Hello from southern Delaware

Post by TimTaylor »

Welcome back.
Retired from flying.
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

Good timing there are many changes being bantered about that will open up the kinds of planes that are LSA eligible. It will take years but it seem imminent.
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Welcome to SportPilotTalk, Mikey. I'm another private pilot that let my 3rd class medical lapse and began flying LSAs as a sport pilot. When BasicMed came along I met the ten year lookback window eligibility by four months, so I went for it. I still fly my LSA because I love the way it flies and is cheaper to own and operate than a Part 23 airplane, but with BasicMed I don't have the sport pilot restrictions and can fly at night and at higher altitudes.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
drseti

Post by drseti »

Welcome aboard. Mikey. It's easier than ever to get back up to speed these days. You can start by enrolling in a one-day AOPA Rusty Pilot Seminar (we just hosted one on my airport last month - AOPA website will tell you when there's one near you). Then, LSA is a great way to go. I can highly recommend Chesapeake (have no knowledge of the school in AZ).

Best of luck, and do keep us posted on your adventure.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Mikey B

Post by Mikey B »

Thanks, Paul. If I were closer to Lock Haven I would come see you -- I saw your Pilot Downsizer, and like the idea. I stopped in at Chesapeake Sport Pilot recently, met Helen and others, and will try to schedule with them soon.