Hello from Dayton, OH!

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

JLanger

Hello from Dayton, OH!

Post by JLanger »

Hello all,

I am brand new to these forums, and brand new to flying in general also!

To provide a little backstory to those who care - my interest in becoming a pilot started when I was young and I planned to pursue it in college when I signed a flight contract to attend officer training with the USMC. Long story short, I ended up going another route and pursuing a different career path (I regret this decision everyday) so the dream of becoming a pilot was put on hold.

Fast forward to now, I attended the airshow in Pensacola, FL and was in awe with EVERYTHING. Took a few Google searches to learn about the Sport License and I realized that my dream of becoming a pilot was a lot more affordable than I thought and obtainable even with my busy schedule.

I am just getting started on this and haven't even yet been on my first flight but extremely excited to start down this road. I live in Southwest, Ohio so if anybody is in the area or has any recommendations on places/clubs/people to connect with around this area please let me know!

Looking forward to meeting you all :D
ShawnM

Re: Hello from Dayton, OH!

Post by ShawnM »

Welcome to the forum JLanger and good luck in your journey to becoming a sport pilot, it's never too late, right? :mrgreen: It is certainly an extremely affordable way to get into flying not to mention flying modern and sporty aircraft. Hopefully there are airports and flight schools close to you that offer sport pilot training and aircraft rental for when you get your license. Best of luck.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Welcome to the forum J! :D
A good place to share and learn from others.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Saagr

Post by Saagr »

Welcome to the forum! I got my sport certificate in Dayton through Dayton Aviation Services at Moraine Airpark (I73). They’ve got a Tecnam P92 which was a joy to fly. Not sure who they have instructing on it these days though. They were a good outfit to go through, never had any issues scheduling and the folks at the field are nice. The instructor I used set out in his own and is instructing in a Remos GX out of Phillipsburg (3I7) last I heard. If you want to message me I’d be happy to give you his name and contact info.

ETA: I forgot to add, if you are looking to go tailwheel the folks down at Red Stewart (40I) in Waynesville are great. They’ve got J-3s and Champs on a grass field. Their place is super old school which is neat but their scheduling is done in three month blocks in a book. It can be difficult to get consistent flights if you are limited to after work/weekends.