ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

ShawnM

Re: ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Post by ShawnM »

Dave C wrote:
ShawnM wrote:
Dave C wrote:Another option I was looking at is the Garmin GDL 82
I second the GDL-82, it's an awesome ADS-B out box, works with any mode c transponder on the market, very easy to install, my PAPR reports are always perfect and with the FAA rebate it'll come in at $1295. Did I mention it's Garmin? :mrgreen:
Did you install it yourself? Roughly what would the installation bill be to install such a system?
Yes Dave, I installed it myself. I converted my S-LSA to E-LSA so I could make many changes that the manufacturer wouldn't allow. This let me install it myself. I have electronics and wiring experience because I do it for my day job. I've seen them advertised for around $2300 installed if I remember correctly. Then subtract $500 for the rebate. A fellow member here recently had one installed by a local A&P so he may be able to answer your question more accurately. The cost will vary all over the country though.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

I went with GDL 82 as well - probably the cheapest option if you already have a transponder.

So far has been completely problem free.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
RBearden56

Post by RBearden56 »

I went with the Apparel Stratus 1090ES with ADS B out and in my Allegro 2000. Chief Aircraft had it on special for experimental LSA so saved a few dollars. Installation was very strait forward. I installed the GPS antenna and had the cable made through Aircraft Spruce and used the existing Transponder antenna and mounting locations. I located the ADS-B receiver in the cockpit and it connects to my iPad Mini via WIFI with Fore Flight. Got the local Avionics shop to do the transponder and ADS-B testing and then did the test flight. Went on the FAA website and then sent me a report stating that all was good. I like getting inflight traffic and weather. :P

The only down side was the FAA started the rebate after I did my install and they won't do anything for owners that did this before the rebate. :evil:

Randy Bearden
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Has anyone tried the echoUAT? It is very reasonably priced, small and has ADS-B IN and OUT.
echoUAT.PNG
echoUAT.PNG (86.81 KiB) Viewed 13876 times
akroguy

Post by akroguy »

Dave C wrote:Has anyone tried the echoUAT? It is very reasonably priced, small and has ADS-B IN and OUT.

echoUAT.PNG

I'm probably going this route for my 2006 Sporty. Sent an email request for LOA to Evektor. It's about the most inexpensive option I have found.
2006 Evektor Sportstar SE
E98 Los Lunas, NM
akroguy

Post by akroguy »

Has anybody heard from or contacted the Minnich family at Midwestsportplanes? Their website has been down for several days. Facebook posting shows their area got hammered by storms. Evektor directed me to them for ADSB LOA. I hope they're alright!
E98 Los Lunas, NM
akroguy

Post by akroguy »

Ok, Steve Minnich is online and LOA for the EchoUAT is being processed by Evektor. So, it is a viable ADS-B option.
E98 Los Lunas, NM
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

I have the EchoUAT installed and working well with a panel mounted IFly 740b in the Sportstar. There was some challenges getting the EchoUAT to work with my transponder. I little help from Uavionix tech support and a hidden menu option took care of that.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Congratulations, Dave. You beat the mandate by 90 days. If you're ever flying hereabouts, I look forward to seeing you on my screen.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Thanks Paul. I wasn't too worried about the deadline as I rarely fly where a transponder is required. It is very nice to have the new GPS with ADS-B-in. My old Garmin GPS wasn't working reliably so I needed something new and this is a big step up in capability.
Panel picture smaller2.PNG
Panel picture smaller2.PNG (204.01 KiB) Viewed 9433 times
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

DAVE C (above) Asked: Has anyone tried the echoUAT? It is very reasonably priced, small and has ADS-B IN and OUT.

Not yet, but I just received approval from TL Aircraft to install it in my 2007 Sting Sport--which will happen as soon as my Mechanic's workload allows :lol: And we get finished with my second 5-year rubber replacement. 8)

So I will report back, after it happens...
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

I presume this was an individual LOA ( as opposed to being added to the MEL list ) ?
Also, how long did it take to get the paperwork back and was it a painful process overall ? .. curious since this used to be handled very transparently by SportAir ...

Thanks
drseti

Post by drseti »

FWIW, one of my maintenance customers applied last week for an LoA to install the uAvionix SkyBeacon on his Evektor SportStar. He received the LoA via email just 3 days later! Kudos to Steve Minnich of Dreans Come True Aviation for expediting.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

Warmi, I am glad you asked those key questions. Yes, it was painfully slow--about 6 months. As you know, TL and Sportair (their former US distributor) have divorced. I put my request in to TL (through their new US distributor in FL) about 6 months ago for this unit to be added to the MEL. As of 1 week ago--nada. So I then revealed the issue on Sting Flight Facebook, while simultaneously sending my request again, this time directly to TL in the Czech Republic. Well, I had my LOA--specific to my plane only (and not a "blanket" for everyone via the MEL) via email the next morning.

Bottom line is, I am sorry to say, we TL-product owners remain in somewhat of a "black hole" at this time. Such is the fallout from big divorces, I guess. The great, quick action and support (relatively speaking--and for the most part) we used to get from Sportair is gone, at least for now. Hopefully, in time everything will sort its way out and work in our favor once again, the operative word being "hopefully."
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

drdehave wrote:Warmi, I am glad you asked those key questions. Yes, it was painfully slow--about 6 months. As you know, TL and Sportair (their former US distributor) have divorced. I put my request in to TL (through their new US distributor in FL) about 6 months ago for this unit to be added to the MEL. As of 1 week ago--nada. So I then revealed the issue on Sting Flight Facebook, while simultaneously sending my request again, this time directly to TL in the Czech Republic. Well, I had my LOA--specific to my plane only (and not a "blanket" for everyone via the MEL) via email the next morning.

Bottom line is, I am sorry to say, we TL-product owners remain in somewhat of a "black hole" at this time. Such is the fallout from big divorces, I guess. The great, quick action and support (relatively speaking--and for the most part) we used to get from Sportair is gone, at least for now. Hopefully, in time everything will sort its way out and work in our favor once again, the operative word being "hopefully."

So maybe directly contacting the factory is the key here ( I had no idea there was another distributor in Florida .)
Nice thing about TL is that our current MEL is pretty darn extensive and contains just about every piece of major avionics released in the last 5-10 years but it would be nice to have a way to get new stuff in as needed.