Kansas City (south) Initial interest in new LSA partnership

Looking for a partner? No, we're not talking about dating. Partnerships are another way to bring down the cost of flying. Use this forum to find like-minded folks in your neighborhood.

Moderator: drseti

jboyd

Kansas City (south) Initial interest in new LSA partnership

Post by jboyd »

Thinking of getting into an LSA. Most likely a Tecnam or Bristell with registration as E-LSA to fly IFR. But can't afford it alone so thinking of a partnership. This is really just an initial interest survey before moving along...

Requirements:
1) Partners (I have 850 hours + instrument rating)
a) Private with at least 300 hours and 30 hours in last 12 months
b) Prefer Instrument Rated partners
2) Aircraft
a) Tecnam P2008 or Astore or Bristell NG5
b) GNC255+IFR approved GPS
c) ADS-B out
d) Rotax 914 turbo
3) Location
a) 1st choice is OJC
b) 2nd choice is LXT ( I have a plane and hangar there now)

The major challenge for now other than cost is maintenance. The closest Rotax authorized mechanic is just northeast of Wichita. So a pilot partner with an A&P willing to get Rotax certified would be a big plus...
ShawnM

Re: Kansas City (south) Initial interest in new LSA partnership

Post by ShawnM »

Good thing you dont have many "requirements". :mrgreen:

If you want E-LSA for the purpose of IFR then one of you can take the 16 hour LSRI course ($400) and do all your own maintenance including the annual condition inspection. You dont need an A&P for anything. Either of you can take the Rotax classes which will help. Both the service and maintenance classes together total $1200. Does this help?
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

What Shawn says.

Take the Tecnam or Bristell SLSA to a DAR and change the certification from SLSA to "Experimental operating Light Sport" and you can then maintain it yourself. Then take the 16 hour Light Sport Repairman - Inspection class, pass the test, and get the FAA LSRI certificate from your local FSDO so you can perform your own condition inspection. No A&P certification required.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I just took the 16 hour class from Rainbow the weekend before SNF as they were here teaching it. Passed with a 94 and then went to my local FSDO here in Tampa last Wednesday and got my temporary LSRI certificate. I'm now able to do my own annual condition inspection this November when it's due. :mrgreen:

I plan on taking the Rotax classes (service and maintenance) in the coming months at Lockwood. I'm just waiting for Dean to update the class schedule on their website.
FlyAgain

Post by FlyAgain »

I guess if I had an instrument rating and 800 hours looking for a partnership or fractional ownership I would be looking at traditional certified aircraft and not LSA. It seems like those options would be less expensive and more akin to cross country IFR flying. Unless E-LSA drives costs way down or something?
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I think most/many of us here have an instrument rating and way more than 800 hours. There are many reasons to fly LSA.
Retired from flying.