Texas Aircraft "Colt" LSA

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Wm.Ince

Re: Texas Aircraft "Colt" LSA

Post by Wm.Ince »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:. . . I’m betting they are jumping at having a viable A/C in the works, if and when the FAA makes changes It looks pretty good, I like the cantilevered wing. With the 915iS, it will perform as well as their Sling TSi, albeit a few knots slower, per Mike Blythe.
Good choice on the Rotax 915. That is becoming a popular option.
Interested if it will be IFR capable.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Wm.Ince wrote:
Sling 2 Pilot wrote:. . . I’m betting they are jumping at having a viable A/C in the works, if and when the FAA makes changes It looks pretty good, I like the cantilevered wing. With the 915iS, it will perform as well as their Sling TSi, albeit a few knots slower, per Mike Blythe.
Good choice on the Rotax 915. That is becoming a popular option.
Interested if it will be IFR capable.
Yes, I believe Garmin Avionics...
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:
Scooper wrote:
Sling 2 Pilot wrote:Oh, and it's a FOUR seater...
TimTaylor wrote:So, why compare it to the Colt LSA?
That would be my question, too. How does a four place airplane compete with a two place LSA for pilots exercising the privileges of a Sport Pilot?
Stan, I’m betting they are jumping at having a viable A/C in the works, if and when the FAA makes changes to the LSA rules. Just my opinion. No specs yet, a work in progress. It looks pretty good, I like the cantilevered wing. With the 915iS, it will perform as well as their Sling TSi, albeit a few knots slower, per Mike Blythe.

Yep. The change is coming ,sooner or later,but it is coming and having a plane ready to compete in the newly redefined Light Sport market would be a distinct business advantage.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
drseti

Post by drseti »

Warmi wrote: Yep. The change is coming ,sooner or later,but it is coming
I wish I could share your optimism. As I recall, Jack Pelton's claim that LSA weight was about to be increased was made at AirVenture 2018. We were told an NPRM was imminent. Well, it's been a year, and still nothing from FAA. I remain highly skeptical that anything will come of this.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
c162pilot

Post by c162pilot »

So while at Oshkosh last week I spoke with Ken Krueger the designer of the Vashon Ranger he implied that a weight change was closer than one would think, hinting at the end of this year, and at that time they would raise the weight to 1,450 lbs even though the Ranger has been tested to 1,500 pounds. I also spoke with Dan Johnson who stated emphatically that it is probably in the 2021-2023 timeframe. Go figure.
JJay

Post by JJay »

I, for one, would not take much stock in what someone says about dates when their goal is to sell airplanes (I refer to Ken, not Dan). I chuckle every time someone on this forum reports what they heard about LSA rules changes from sales people at Oshkosh this year. Sales people are eternal optimists, or they aren't very good at their job. (And, IMHO, everyone who works for an airplane manufacturer is a sales person).

Post by Otto »

I'd think a sales guy would downplay the rule change. If they up the weight limit there will be all sorts of new options possibly worth waiting for. And no guarantee they are going to allow existing aircraft to operate at the higher limit regardless of initial design limits.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

The Colt is a fantastic LSA just as it is.

I always find it odd when folks outline their flying “mission” then when a manufacturer meets that mission, the same folks now want IFR & night capability, higher weight, more gadgets etc
Which are all available now in non LSA types of aircraft which meet their new “mission”.
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

Dan Johnson just posted a nice video taken at the LSA Expo in Mt Vernon with the Colt factory pilot .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkPD07-z0Wc
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

chicagorandy wrote:Dan Johnson just posted a nice video taken at the LSA Expo in Mt Vernon with the Colt factory pilot .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkPD07-z0Wc
Thanks for the link, Randy. It's a pretty impressive airplane, sort of a 2 place mini-172.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

Working load aside, and yes, I do believe they are counting on FAA upping the load limits - the leather appointments in the interior really increase the eye appeal and 'pizzazz' of the plane. Like what you'd expect/demand for something costing as much as entry level Aston Martin.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln