Burping the Rotax

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

Re: Burping the Rotax

Post by TimTaylor »

I guess this is my bottom line:

Always do a thorough pre-flight before every flight. Also, if you own your own airplane, it would be a good idea to check the oil after landing. If there is a problem, wouldn't you want to know it now instead of when you return for your next flight?
Retired from flying.
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Warmi wrote:
ShawnM wrote:I was taught to burp the engine before the first flight of the day and I've been doing it this way for 6 years with zero issues on my SportCruiser. I dont burp it again on subsequent flights that day or at the end of the day. I dont burp it again until my first flight on another day when the cowl comes off for my preflight. After it burps if you give it another pull or two it'll burp a little more also.

My oil levels are always in the flat and I never have to add any oil during the year between my annual condition inspections.

I'm interested in checking it hot after my last flight of the day and then comparing that reading to my next burp during my preflight. Curious if there is a difference of not.

How many blades on average it takes for your cold engine to burp ? Now that SlingPilot mentioned that his planes burps after 5-6 blades I am wondering if my average 30 blades is normal ..even though it has been like that since , well since forever ( in my case that’s 2017 )

Btw... it doesn’t matter how slow I turn - it seems to be more of function of how warm it is out there and how long since the last time the plane was flown ...

I checked the Tecnam's today (has not flown in 4 days) and it took 10 or so blades, but it has taken up to 20 or so sometimes. On a side note the CAP pilots who flew in thought I was crazy, one was like "why are you doing that?!?!" I had to explain it was not the standard 182 engine... :roll:
Ed
drseti

Post by drseti »

foresterpoole wrote:one was like "why are you doing that?!?!" I had to explain it was not the standard 182 engine... :roll:
What? You didn't simply say that you had to wind up the rubber band?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

drseti wrote:
foresterpoole wrote:one was like "why are you doing that?!?!" I had to explain it was not the standard 182 engine... :roll:
What? You didn't simply say that you had to wind up the rubber band?
Ha! I love that that response.
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Rubber Band, that's a good one!
Ed