VOR

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

JJ Campbell

VOR

Post by JJ Campbell »

If the aircraft you are using for your Sport Pilot practical has VOR, are you expected to know how to use it?
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
ShawnM

Re: VOR

Post by ShawnM »

What's a VOR? :mrgreen:
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

You are only supposed to be tested on the items in the practical test standards. I would have to dig mine out, but I don't remember electronic navigation being a required test element.
drseti

Post by drseti »

The acronym VOR doesn't appear anywhere in the PTS. The words "navigation by pilotage, deduced reckoning, and electronic means" do. So, a GPS (or GPS-equipped tablet or cellphone) will certainly suffice.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I took my check ride in my own plane and had to demonstrate I knew how to use the Garmin GPS, it's various functions and how to navigate to an airport. Since I dont have a NAV/COM or any of those other 3 letter thingies it never came up. I had to show my DPE that I knew how to use the equipment that was in my plane. Nothing more, nothing less.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Put an INOP sticker on it before the checkride...problem solved. 8)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Post by drseti »

MrMorden wrote:Put an INOP sticker on it before the checkride...problem solved. 8)
Ah, but if you do that, you also have to make a corresponding entry into the aircraft maintenance records.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
MrMorden wrote:Put an INOP sticker on it before the checkride...problem solved. 8)
Ah, but if you do that, you also have to make a corresponding entry into the aircraft maintenance records.
It also needs to be deactivated. This would mean removing the power wire or some sort of mechanical means of preventing it from being turned on.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Instead of pulling wires and all that bother ...wouldn’t be just easier to placard it with something “ don’t touch the damn thing if you don’t know what it does” and if the DPE asks just say- I will follow instructions to the letter and won’t touch the damn thing.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
drseti

Post by drseti »

Easiest solution - if the VOR receiver has it's own push-pull circuit breaker, pull the breaker and put a tie-wrap around it so it can't be pushed in again.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Warmi wrote:Instead of pulling wires and all that bother ...wouldn’t be just easier to placard it with something “ don’t touch the damn thing if you don’t know what it does” and if the DPE asks just say- I will follow instructions to the letter and won’t touch the damn thing.
Because deactivation is required by regulation if you are labeling and instrument inoperative.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Easiest solution - if the VOR receiver has it's own push-pull circuit breaker, pull the breaker and put a tie-wrap around it so it can't be pushed in again.
That would be an acceptable method of deactivation.
JJ Campbell

Post by JJ Campbell »

What prompted the question is that due to my concern that the weather will soon turn Winter bad at my home airport, as a contingency plan, I tried another flight school. This school has five Tecnam Eaglets (my normal plane). I took a lesson and as luck would have it I think I got the oldest one in the fleet. The CFI said the DPE might expect me to know how to use the VOR. I've read about VOR but never actually saw one before and I really don't want to add something new to my last minute preparations especially when I know that my plan is to build a E-AB gyroplane which will definitely NOT have VOR.

So, since I know the school has at least two planes w/o VOR, should I have to exercise my contingency plan, I will make sure to stick to the non VOR equipped aircraft.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Speaking of VOR. First time I used flight following to go from KHWV to K39N, I had programmed my GPS for a direct flight. NY Approach tells me to "Fly the Kennedy VOR". Of course not having any of that equipment in my plane and being somewhat ignorant I told them can't do that. They just made me climb over the Class B. Subsequently I discovered that I can program VORs on the GPS so that's what I do now.
JJ Campbell

Post by JJ Campbell »

rcpilot wrote: …I discovered that I can program VORs on the GPS so that's what I do now.
Great tip, rcpilot! Thank you.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet