Avionics

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

EyeInTheSky

Avionics

Post by EyeInTheSky »

Hello. I realize that there are some restrictions on what can be installed on general aircraft and by who, but am wondering if I can put a ADF in a LSA if I wanted to, or is there a formal FAA process that needs to be completed? How about a ham radio with external antenna?

Thank you.
Student Pilot
M.S. Management and Leadership
C.A.P. Senior Member
TimTaylor

Re: Avionics

Post by TimTaylor »

You can't do anything with an S-LSA without a LOA from the manufacturer. I think you can do almost anything you want with an E-LSA. Why an ADF, to listen to music?

Personally, I think a pilot ought to concentrate on flying, not being entertained or any other distractions.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The process you have to follow depends on what type of airworthiness certificate the airplane has.
EyeInTheSky

Post by EyeInTheSky »

Got it. Thank you.
Student Pilot
C.A.P. Senior Member
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

An experimental requires no approval. A SLSA requires approval from the manufacture, they are required to track any changes to the aircraft per ASTM standards. A standard category aircraft at a minimum requires a logbook entry, but may also require a STC or field approval from the FAA.
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

EyeInTheSky wrote:Hello. I realize that there are some restrictions on what can be installed on general aircraft and by who, but am wondering if I can put a ADF in a LSA if I wanted to, or is there a formal FAA process that needs to be completed? How about a ham radio with external antenna?

Thank you.
If it's an SLSA, you'll need a letter of authorization (LOA) from the manufacturer. There will be a lot of back and forth discussion and paperwork involved at the least.

If it is an ELSA you can install your own avionics, but unless you are the builder with a repairman certificate, or have a light sport repairman - inspection certificate, you'll need to have the annual condition inspections performed by a certificated A&P mechanic or a person holding a light sport repairman - maintenance certificate. After completing the condition inspection, the individual performing the inspection will certify in the aircraft logs that the aircraft is "found to be in a condition for safe operation." Generally, that means the installation conforms to AC 43.13-1B/2A, and that the weight and balance calculations have been revised to reflect the installation.

I intend to install my Elecraft KX-2 amateur band HF transceiver in my ELSA sometime in the near future.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
drseti

Post by drseti »

Scooper wrote: I intend to install my Elecraft KX-2 amateur band HF transceiver in my ELSA sometime in the near future.
Let me guess, Stan - you're going to run CW while flying?

I haven't done aeronautical mobile in about 40 years. Flying is just too much fun for me to want the distraction. But I did have antennas and a rig interface to the audio panel installed in the Beech via a 337.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

drseti wrote:
Scooper wrote: I intend to install my Elecraft KX-2 amateur band HF transceiver in my ELSA sometime in the near future.
Let me guess, Stan - you're going to run CW while flying?

I haven't done aeronautical mobile in about 40 years. Flying is just too much fun for me to want the distraction. But I did have antennas and a rig interface to the audio panel installed in the Beech via a 337.
Heh heh.. I don't have an autopilot, Paul, so my plan is to have a buddy fly the plane from the right seat while I play with the radio (both CW and SSB). I have a small keyer paddle that straps to my right thigh near my knee that gives me a very comfortable keying position. My KX-2 has a very capable automatic antenna tuner built-in, and right now I plan to rig a long wire from the rudder to the right wingtip. Since the Zodiac doesn't have a vertical stabilizer, I'll use a spring to keep the wire taut as the rudder moves.

Stan
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

3Dreaming wrote:An experimental requires no approval. A SLSA requires approval from the manufacture, they are required to track any changes to the aircraft per ASTM standards. A standard category aircraft at a minimum requires a logbook entry, but may also require a STC or field approval from the FAA.
Excellent info, Tom. Thank you.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
EyeInTheSky

Post by EyeInTheSky »

It sounds like installing a 2 meter transceiver may be a bit easier. I wanted to have something a bit more permanent than using a portable.
Student Pilot
C.A.P. Senior Member
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

EyeInTheSky wrote:It sounds like installing a 2 meter transceiver may be a bit easier. I wanted to have something a bit more permanent than using a portable.
A VHF transceiver would clearly be much easier, Sean. I've used a 2 meter HT aeronautical mobile from my 172 operating on 146.52 simplex, and it was a blast. I haven't tried it yet in the Zodiac.
Stan
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
EyeInTheSky

Post by EyeInTheSky »

Excellent! So it is a matter of taking a mobile 2 meter rig and mounting it in the aircraft, or is it more involved? I imagine that simplex at elevation would go for miles!
Student Pilot
C.A.P. Senior Member
drseti

Post by drseti »

EyeInTheSky wrote: I imagine that simplex at elevation would go for miles!
True. Assuming a spherical Earth (a good first-order approximation), VHF line-of-sight propagation distance in miles equals 1.23 × sqrt (h) where is height in feet. So, at an altitude of 10,000 feet, we're talking a simplex range of 123 miles.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

So, what is the purpose of this?
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

TimTaylor wrote:So, what is the purpose of this?
Like all conversations between ham radio operators, our purpose is to communicate.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US