Aerotrek A220 and A240. What do you think?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

gtylerdowdy

Aerotrek A220 and A240. What do you think?

Post by gtylerdowdy »

I'm in the market for a tailwheel LSA and keep coming back to the AeroTrek A220.

It has a Rotax 912ULS, STOL capabilities, a (self proclaimed) 115knt max cruise, a killer looking panel, and are under $95k brand new.

I've talked to Rob Rollison (AeroTrek dealer) and watched Dan Johnson's (among other) videos on the plane. I really can't find anything wrong with it.

I guess my question is: Does anyone have experience with the AeroTrek brand? Do they like it? Any downsides? I'm heading to the DeLand Aviation Show in November to see it in person. They used to be called AeroPro EuroFox until 2008 I believe (and still are in Europe).

I'm close to putting down the down-payment to get the production started. There's currently a 9 month wait time as they're being built in the Czech Republic. Maybe that's one of their downsides but anyone else's input would be appreciated!

The top LSA's I'm considering are (in this order):
AeroTrek A220
Just Highlander
Kitfox S7 (lead time is ridiculous though)
Rans S-21 OUTBOUND

Lastly, anything I buy (new or used) will already be built. I do not intend on building my own. Look forward to y'alls input!

Thank you!!
drseti

Re: Aerotrek A220 and A240. What do you think?

Post by drseti »

The AeroTrek 220 is essentially a Rotax-powered Avid Flyer (predecessor to the KitFox) design, produced under license in Slovakia. I've both flown and maintained them. Has flapperons just like the KitFox. Easy aircraft both to fly and to work on, though a little hard to slow down, and likes to float if you come in hot. If I were in the market for a tube and fabric taildragger, I'd find it hard to beat. But beware the tundra tires - makes them squirelly to land on pavement.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
gtylerdowdy

Post by gtylerdowdy »

drseti wrote:If I were in the market for a tube and fabric taildragger, I'd find it hard to beat. But beware the tundra tires - makes them squirelly to land on pavement.
That's good to know. It was the (tundra) option I was going to go for. I 'like' the A240s as well, and they're definitely easier to find, but man...I just love the way a tailwheel airplane looks. I guess growing up on a grass strip with 180s, 185s, SuperCubs, and a Pilatus Porter will do that to you tho, haha.

I just don't know which way to go. I weigh 200lbs and my dad, who is 6'5", weighs 240. With a useful load of 580...that doesn't leave us with much room for anything else. Any input on a LSA that can comfortably carry that load with some added gear?

I'm flying in a Just Escapade and Highlander right now with Vic Payne. 20 more MPH just sounded real nice with an AeroTrek.
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

One thing to bear in mind when it comes to useful load is that the Aerotrek A220's 580 pounds useful load is without fuel (empty weight is 655 with typical options and max gross is 1235. 1235 - 655 = 580). Fuel capacity is 22.5 gallons, so with full fuel (22.5 gallons x 6 pounds per gallon = 135 pounds), your full fuel payload shrinks to 445 pounds. You and your dad weigh 440 together, so your baggage would basically be limited to a shaving kit. :cry:
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
gtylerdowdy

Post by gtylerdowdy »

Scooper wrote:You and your dad weigh 440 together, so your baggage would basically be limited to a shaving kit. :cry:
Thanks Scoop. Guess it's time to get a whole new dad :lol: Haha.

Sincerely though, I do appreciate y'alls input. If you know of a high wing LSA that might suit us better, please let me know.

I'll continue my research. Luckily, my dad and I will be flying locally so we could get away with less fuel and no added weight. Any long distance trips would be with my wife at 140lbs, so I should be fine there.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Most people probably don't want to fly more than 6 hours in a day anyway. So, you make two fuel stops instead of one. No big deal.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Another possible option - Bushcat taildragger - even cheaper than Aerotrek , pretty good looking albeit a bit slower.

https://images.app.goo.gl/TYWEcVDkwTS1Cgjd8
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
newsshooter

Post by newsshooter »

Out of those I'd choose the rans, faster, more load, but you'd need to build it.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

newsshooter wrote:Out of those I'd choose the rans, faster, more load, but you'd need to build it.
Check out S-21 "Outbound" with the Titan 340. Can build as a trike or taildragger.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

The OP does not want to build, he said he was going to buy. Quoted from his first post:

"Lastly, anything I buy (new or used) will already be built. I do not intend on building my own. Look forward to y'alls input!"
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Wm.Ince wrote:
newsshooter wrote:Out of those I'd choose the rans, faster, more load, but you'd need to build it.
Check out S-21 "Outbound" with the Titan 340. Can build as a trike or taildragger.
Bill, since the OP says he's in the market for an LSA and the Titan 340 powered S-21 Outbound has an empty weight of 985 pounds, it wouldn't have much of a useful load (335 pounds for fuel, passengers, and baggage).

It does look very attractive as an E-AB with a max gross weight of 1800 pounds.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

ShawnM wrote:The OP does not want to build, he said he was going to buy. Quoted from his first post:
"Lastly, anything I buy (new or used) will already be built. I do not intend on building my own. Look forward to y'alls input!"
The Outbound can be purchased as a "Ready to Fly" S-LSA, either trike or taildragger. As an S-LSA however, the Titan engine would not be a good option. A buyer is not required to build it him/herself.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
jetcat3

Post by jetcat3 »

The 915 iS S-21 trike is just a little beast and SLSA. It has pretty impressive performance numbers.
AGLyme

Post by AGLyme »

I went to Sun n Fun '18 to go plane shopping. First choice was the Rans 21... and then the Aerotrek for all the reasons you noted. In those days, the S 21 was "too new" to Rans and in spite of the "we will build it for you" marketing, my sense was that they really just wanted to sell the kit. And the S21 wasn't cheap BTW. Ditto Kitfox... in those days Kitfox advertised "we will build it for you" too... again, they really just want to build kits. Can't blame either Rans or Kitfox, they probably make more money making the Kits.
Anyway, I decided on the Aerotrek. Then, I returned to Connecticut and figured I should give Flight Design a try because the USA HQ's were only an hour up the road. FD was almost double the cost which was a lot obviously. After the show flight I was hooked on the FD's visibility, avionics, safety (parachute), speed and fuel economy. I liked the Dealer as well. Suffice, I splurged on the FD and I do love the plane.
Above all, have fun in the process and don't agonize. Whatever you end up with, you will fall in love with it.
CaFlier

Post by CaFlier »

I have flown the Aerotrek A240, CTSW, Sting, and Sling 2. The A240 was the simplest to fly and operate, and although it does have the floating problem on landing this was not much different than the CTSW and Sting. But the A240 seemed to bring back the pure joy of flying, at least for me. Very little can go wrong or fail with everything down to the flaps being operated mechanically (flaps have a large lever). I just did not want a fabric covered plane at the time since I had an outdoor tiedown. After some system failures on the Cirrus SR22, I am seriously thinking of going back to the A240 and just flying commercial for any long trips. The CTSW (and CTLS) were the most "solid" and refined LSA I have flown, and I actually owned a CTSW for a year. Just amazing planes. The Sling 2 I also flew for a year and it is by far the most stable in flight and easiest to land. The Sling 2 is less costly than the CT but more expensive than the A240. SO, if the mission is local flights / short trips and getting back to the pure fun of flying, and if you have a covered tie-down, the A240 is a fantastic plane.