Feasibility Question

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

bryancobb

Feasibility Question

Post by bryancobb »

It is known that many airplanes were sold with no electrical system and they are still flying.

In reality, would it be realistic to do all your training in one and take your checkride in one of those?

I.E. ...Would it be realistic to meet PTS requirements while only having flown in Class D, E, and G airspace?

Specifically... I found out yesterday while trying to get a 2-year VFR cert' on my perfectly-working TERRA
TRT-250 transponder that it is a "wheel chock." Its S/N and MOD Level of only "2" makes it junk I.A.W.
AD 95-01-01.

I was going to do the Tail Beacon for ADS-B but now I'm faced with $5000 of new equipment OR training
my daughter without ever going near Class C or B airspace.
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
MrMorden

Re: Feasibility Question

Post by MrMorden »

bryancobb wrote:It is known that many airplanes were sold with no electrical system and they are still flying.

In reality, would it be realistic to do all your training in one and take your checkride in one of those?

I.E. ...Would it be realistic to meet PTS requirements while only having flown in Class D, E, and G airspace?

Specifically... I found out yesterday while trying to get a 2-year VFR cert' on my perfectly-working TERRA
TRT-250 transponder that it is a "wheel chock." Its S/N and MOD Level of only "2" makes it junk I.A.W.
AD 95-01-01.

I was going to do the Tail Beacon for ADS-B but now I'm faced with $5000 of new equipment OR training
Many private pilots have done all their training in Cubs and Champs with no electrical systems. I think it's feasible.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I am doing the training for my boys in a 1941 Taylorcraft with no electric system. Cross country to Class D airport using a handheld radio. Since the Needle and ball was not working I did some instrument work with one of them in my Warrior. We will have to do the night flight in the Warrior as well. Once the needle and ball is working we are planning for them to do their checkrides in the Taylorcraft.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Bryan, it's certainly feasible (and not all that uncommon) to earn a pilot certificate in a NORDO aircraft that was manufactured without an electrical system, and has never had one installed. I started in a 1946 Champ. However, as a DPE, I would hesitate to give a practical test in an aircraft that has previously been equipped with an electrical system, and has had the electrics and avionics removed.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I would just bite the bullet and purchase a new transponder with ADS-B out. That will add utility and value to the airplane plus give your daughter a better platform for obtaining a Private certificate. You have class B and two class C's right here. Let her have the experience of dealing with them.
Last edited by TimTaylor on Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from flying.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Bryan,
You might consider going with an Appareo's Stratus ESG transponder for around $2800 which is 'only' one AMU more than a tailBeacon. Installation will be a bit more involved, though. I local shop quoted 16 hours for a Warrior install.
dave
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

My opinion is, if you're going to do aviation, do it right.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Bryan, it's certainly feasible (and not all that uncommon) to earn a pilot certificate in a NORDO aircraft that was manufactured without an electrical system, and has never had one installed. I started in a 1946 Champ. However, as a DPE, I would hesitate to give a practical test in an aircraft that has previously been equipped with an electrical system, and has had the electrics and avionics removed.
I don't think he is planning on removing the electrical system, only the transponder. He was asking if the training could be done without operating in the airspace in which a transponder is required.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote: He was asking if the training could be done without operating in the airspace in which a transponder is required.
Training in non-transponder airspace is pretty much the rule around here. When checkride time rolls around, and the applicant prepares the requisite XC, it will be incumbent upon him or her to make up a flight plan that stays clear of ADS-B airspace.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
bryancobb

Post by bryancobb »

dstclair wrote:Bryan,
You might consider going with an Appareo's Stratus ESG transponder for around $2800 which is 'only' one AMU more than a tailBeacon. Installation will be a bit more involved, though. I local shop quoted 16 hours for a Warrior install.
I had the shop quote the Stratus / ACK 30 and for $500 I'd get ADS-B In. He wanted $1800 for install and calibrate.

Total $5300. I'm just not sure I could recoup my money when I sell in 2 years. The whole reason for buying the plane was to get Meg's ticket for $0.
If I knew the 5300 spent would add 5300 in sell-able value, I'd do it in a second. I just like hearing other people's opinions. Knowledge is power.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (32.59 KiB) Viewed 9566 times
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

bryancobb wrote: If I knew the 5300 spent would add 5300 in sell-able value, I'd do it in a second. I just like hearing other people's opinions. Knowledge is power.
As a general rule, if you put $x into improving an aircraft's avionics, you can expect to recoup $x/2 when you sell. So, most of us invest in improvements that are going to benefit us for as long as we own the plane.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I think teaching your daughter how to fly in and out of class C plus how to deal with ATC and requesting clearance through class B would be worth the price. When it comes time to sell the airplane, prospective buyers are going to expect a working transponder and ADS-B out. When my friend sold his 1968 M20C, he got a premium price for it because it was well equipped and EVERYTHING WORKED.
Retired from flying.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

What about the Garmin GTX-335 transponder with ADS-B out? I know a place in North Florida that will install it for $3700 plus tax. If this interested you let me know. It's not that far from you and it'll save you loads of cash.
bryancobb

Post by bryancobb »

ShawnM wrote:What about the Garmin GTX-335 transponder with ADS-B out? I know a place in North Florida that will install it for $3700 plus tax. If this interested you let me know. It's not that far from you and it'll save you loads of cash.

Thanks for that! That's getting close to my "tolerance $ Point." I'll let you know when I decide what I'm doing.
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
bryancobb

Post by bryancobb »

drseti wrote:
bryancobb wrote: If I knew the 5300 spent would add 5300 in sell-able value, I'd do it in a second. I just like hearing other people's opinions. Knowledge is power.
As a general rule, if you put $x into improving an aircraft's avionics, you can expect to recoup $x/2 when you sell. So, most of us invest in improvements that are going to benefit us for as long as we own the plane.
My gut feeling is that "ADS-B EQUIPPED" will be an exception to that rule of thumb since it is a requirement.
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]