Feasibility Question

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Scooper

Re: Feasibility Question

Post by Scooper »

bryancobb wrote:My gut feeling is that "ADS-B EQUIPPED" will be an exception to that rule of thumb since it is a requirement.
https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/faq/

From the FAA ADS-B FAQ:
On January 1, 2020, when operating in the airspace designated in 14 CFR § 91.225 (outlined below) you must be equipped with ADS-B Out avionics that meet the performance requirements of 14 CFR § 91.227. Aircraft not complying with the requirements may be denied access to this airspace.

Under the rule, ADS-B Out performance will be required to operate in:

1. Class A, B, and C airspace.

2. Class E airspace within the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia at and above 10,000 feet MSL, excluding the airspace at and below 2,500 feet above the surface.

3. Class E airspace at and above 3,000 feet MSL over the Gulf of Mexico from the coastline of the United States out to 12 nautical miles.

4. Around those airports identified in 14 CFR part 91, Appendix D.

The ADS-B Out rule does not apply in the airspace defined in items 2 and 4 above for any aircraft not originally certificated with an electrical system or that has not subsequently been certified with such a system installed, including balloons and gliders. For additional requirements for using the exception for item 4, please refer to CFR 91.225 section (d) for the requirements.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
bryancobb

Post by bryancobb »

ShawnM wrote:What about the Garmin GTX-335 transponder with ADS-B out? I know a place in North Florida that will install it for $3700 plus tax. If this interested you let me know. It's not that far from you and it'll save you loads of cash.
Shawn, So I can compare apples to apples, can you either put them in touch with me ([email protected]) or give me their contact info?

Or you could ask for a quote for equipment and installation on a 1978 Pa-38-112. I Need the WAAS GPS-Equipped Transponder, and whatever device goes with it to get me ADS-B In and wireless link to laptops or tablets. I also need an altitude encoder if it's not integral to the transponder.

Thank You for the help,
Bryan
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

bryancobb wrote:Shawn, So I can compare apples to apples, can you either put them in touch with me ([email protected]) or give me their contact info?

Or you could ask for a quote for equipment and installation on a 1978 Pa-38-112. I Need the WAAS GPS-Equipped Transponder, and whatever device goes with it to get me ADS-B In and wireless link to laptops or tablets. I also need an altitude encoder if it's not integral to the transponder.

Thank You for the help,
Bryan
Email sent to you Bryan.