VOR

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

Scooper

Re: VOR

Post by Scooper »

rcpilot wrote:...Subsequently I discovered that I can program VORs on the GPS so that's what I do now.
Yes. Every aviation GPS receiver I've used has VORs in the database that can be used as waypoints. I often use them as waypoints in my flight plans to skirt Class B and C and other special use airspace I want to avoid.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
drseti

Post by drseti »

I usually fly with 4 moving maps (a smartphone, a tablet, and 2 GPSs in the panel). All will navigate VOR radials. I still use the actual VOR receiver, OBS, and CDI from time to time, just to keep up with my obsolete skills. ;)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

drseti wrote:I usually fly with 4 moving maps (a smartphone, a tablet, and 2 GPSs in the panel). All will navigate VOR radials. I still use the actual VOR receiver, OBS, and CDI from time to time, just to keep up with my obsolete skills. ;)
On my last Flight Review, the CFI asked my to navigate using the VOR built into the Garmin SL30. It took me a few minutes of button pressing and knob turning to figure it out.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Although my last two planes both had SL-30s, I've never used the digital RMI. They both had CDI/OBS installed. I guess I should try to figure that feature out.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

drseti wrote:Although my last two planes both had SL-30s, I've never used the digital RMI. They both had CDI/OBS installed. I guess I should try to figure that feature out.
It's pretty cool with the HS34 HSI display, when you can remember how to work it. Could really come in handy if you ever had to make an "emergency" ILS approach.
Retired from flying.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Just to be clear, for the benefit of those not too familiar with VOR, dedicated GPS receivers do not receive VOR ground stations. They actually calculate a lat-long spot position of the VOR ground station.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Wm.Ince wrote:Just to be clear, for the benefit of those not too familiar with VOR, dedicated GPS receivers do not receive VOR ground stations. They actually calculate a lat-long spot position of the VOR ground station.
This. I have an SL30 nav-com with external nav head (VOR/LOC/GS) and have had a couple of occasions to use it when, in its infinite wisdom, the government decides to "test" GPS which makes it unreliable for navigation. Since VORs are ground based navaids, I use them to navigate when GPS is unreliable.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
drseti

Post by drseti »

I've had the SL-30 installed in my last two LSAs, along with an OBS/CDI. I use them not just for VOR nav, but also for ILS Loc/GS (both training and currency). Since SLSAs are not IFR legal, of course I only use them in VMC. ;)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US